Re: New kill switch law... - 09/01/17 11:57 PM

Could be, it's like a seatbelt
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/01/17 11:58 PM

what's the new law?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 12:18 AM

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/html/HB01988I.htm

I can't find anything about it on the TPWD site though, the link above says starts "sept 1 2017"
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 01:38 AM

That's gonna take some getting used to. I have done it as needed by BASS and FLW, but otherwise, it's just hanging from the switch and my PFD is in a dry box.

I know.....I know...... flehan
Posted By: Trickster

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
That's gonna take some getting used to. I have done it as needed by BASS and FLW, but otherwise, it's just hanging from the switch and my PFD is in a dry box.

Never know when something will break. Use it!
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 02:07 AM

Did not pass. Died in the Senate all the way back in May. Senate took no action

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB1988
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Trickster
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Never know when something will break. Use it!

I watched a video recently of a boat that the steering went out on and it turned hard and shot both occupants out of the boat. I believe it was a college event if I remember correctly.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 02:54 AM

I wear my seatbelt when I drive, I wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots when I ride.

....but, this kill switch?

I just don't use it like I should. Never have. But....I should start trying to make it habit.

I've always preached to the motorcycle crowd to dress for the crash and not the ride. Because it WILL happen. Sooner or later.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 02:55 AM

No matter what big motor on life jacket on and kill switch attached. Just habit like seat belts in vehicle. No brainer anymore. That means for all passengers too! It wasn't by accident I've lived as long as I have but by grace and becoming more wise. Not bullet proof like I was at 16.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 03:04 AM

I might skip the kill switch if I'm just idling, but I never get on plane without attaching it. Its just such a simple thing and it could make a big difference.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 03:17 AM

Ok I read 2 different articles, did or did it not pass, I'd like to know for sure before going back on the water
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 03:21 AM

PDF and kill switch when I'm running. I'm getting old and I've got a lot fishing to do before I die.

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Did not pass. Died in the Senate all the way back in May. Senate took no action

thumb thank you.

While I can see the safety of it, what a hassle it could be for simple things and the discrepancy that each game warden could have had.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 04:45 AM

What's a kill switch?
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 06:50 AM

Definitely use a kill switch if you do not have a hotfoot
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 11:08 AM

It's like seat belts and texting while driving it doesn't apply to everyone. It's a personal decision and not a law that's really enforced.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 11:55 AM

I have a lanyard attached to my kill switch but have never heard of the wireless one. Has anyone else heard of it?
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 01:13 PM

Sad it takes a law to enforce common sense.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JCHANDLER

Agree
Posted By: the skipper

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 01:52 PM

First thing I do when I launch is pull out the life jackets and attach the kill switch to mine. Then all you have to do is put your jacket on when your ready to go and it's all hooked up. Bonus is the life jacket keeps the seat cool so it doesn't burn your nuts. Lol

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 04:27 PM

So should someone have to have the kill switch hooked to them while the motors warming up and you're parking the truck? Or say you forgot to strap down a rod, should you have to turn the motor off while it could just be idling in neutral?
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 04:30 PM

It is a bad thing to get run over by a boat, but it is a really bad thing to get run over by your own boat.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
First thing I do when I launch is pull out the life jackets and attach the kill switch to mine. Then all you have to do is put your jacket on when your ready to go and it's all hooked up. Bonus is the life jacket keeps the seat cool so it doesn't burn your nuts. Lol
Posted By: dk2429

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/02/17 11:17 PM

So did it pass or not??? I've been trying to get in the habit of wearing one, but after so long of not using it,it's hard to start. Although, I do slap on a life jacket/kill switch in rough conditions/make sure everybody on board has one on as well..

Anyway.. Did it pass or not??? Some are saying it did, other said it didn't.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 01:10 AM

I had a close call that scared me so bad that I never run without it attached to my life jacket. Hard to get use to and sometimes a pain, but it will save your [censored].
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 01:26 AM

especially with kiddos aboard! Something I have to take seriously.. good topic thanks for sharing
Posted By: David Burton

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
So did it pass or not??? I've been trying to get in the habit of wearing one, but after so long of not using it,it's hard to start. Although, I do slap on a life jacket/kill switch in rough conditions/make sure everybody on board has one on as well..

It only exists on the House's calendar. Never made it to debate in the senate, and governor didn't sign.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 02:41 AM

This makes me sound like an arse but what does it matter if it passed? Sounds like your trying to get in the habit so just stay with it.
Not wearing a PFD and your kill switch anytime the big motor is running is just dumb.
Posted By: 9094

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 03:10 AM

Hotfoot just as good as kill switch. If thrown from boat it go to an idle.
Funny they try to make a kill switch mandatory but not life jackets.
Posted By: fishytx

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 03:20 AM

I just started using this and wearing a PFD. Here’s the deal, I use a seat belt and I do it without even thinking twice because it has become a routine. So if I start doing the PFD and kill switch every time it too will become routine and I’ll be that much safer on the water. Boats are very dangerous. You never know when you might slip hit your head, get knocked out and fall into the drink. It just makes since to wear your PFD. I just started about six months ago and I plan to continue to do so. Several months back, my trolling motor rope snapped into just as I was pulling it up. Of course I went flying backwards with the rope handle in my hand, but I managed to fall on my butt right before the windshield, but almost went out into the drink. I mean you just never know what might happen. That is why it is called an accident.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

This makes me sound like an arse but what does it matter if it passed? Sounds like your trying to get in the habit so just stay with it.
Not wearing a PFD and your kill switch anytime the big motor is running is just dumb.

No I agree, no PFD/kill switch is a dumb choice, I just got to get myself in the habit of wearing them. I was just wondering if they did pass it or not.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 04:44 AM

And to make the statement that a hotfoot is as good as a kill switch is also dumb. The boat may be at idle but the prop is still spinning and at idle if it hits you it will still change your life, if not end it.
I was ejected this spring, kill switch worked as advertised as did the PFD. But you will still have a moment of dis-orientation when you surface. If the boat is running,even at idle, your screwed - to put it bluntly. Not to mention the fact that you are going to have to try and get back into a moving boat which is easiest to enter at the back WHICH IS BY THE SPINNING PROP if you just depend on a hotfoot to stop your boat.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094

While having your boat slowly circling you as you try to catch your breath and decide which way to swim may sound good, it's not. I will be the guy shooting the video of the boat running over the guy in the water. I got in the middle of a circling boat once but it's not something I will ever do again.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094

If you dont wear a life jacket you put yourself at risk.

A run away boat with no driver puts everyone on the lake at risk.

Its just plain stupid and dangerous to run above idling speed with no kill switch.

I wear both, out of respect for my family and for others on the lake.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 12:38 PM

I always have a lanyard attached to the life jacket and its always worn on my boat when I go to start the motor. I am forgetful and started a tournament 25 plus years ago without using the lanyard and drove back to the tourney site and took myself out of the tournament.

Safety and tournament compliance are both the reasons I use one and its gotten so commonplace that I automatically hook it up before I start the motor. The motor won't start unless I hook it up. Both my daughter and I have life jackets with a lanyard so whoever drives the boat hooks up before the motor ever starts.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/03/17 01:06 PM

Did NOT pass.

Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: New kill switch law... - 09/04/17 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

So should someone have to have the kill switch hooked to them while the motors warming up and you're parking the truck? Or say you forgot to strap down a rod, should you have to turn the motor off while it could just be idling in neutral?

THE THREAD TITLE IS VERY MISLEADING...THERE IS NO "NEW KILL SWITCH LAW'. THERE IS NO "OLD KILL SWITCH LAW EITHER.

If the House approved bill had been also considered and passed by the senate and then signed by the governor becoming law, the kill switch being connected to the boater would have been required when motor was running, but only when the boat was also "underway".

Myself, I always kill the outboard if leaving the boat as I have had it slip out of neutral on its own during idling as I go to park or retrieve truck & trailer....thankfully the tie rope to the dock held.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum