Texas Fishing Forum

ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS....

Posted By: dlrz71

ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:06 AM

I almost broke into the double digits but came up just a little bit short with a 9.47 lber. Beat my old PB of 6 lbs banana

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:10 AM

Beautiful fish. Care to share the depth and type bait. Thanks for sharing.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:12 AM

Thanks!! about 3ft on a white swim jig. Caught her Monday around 1pm. grin
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:20 AM

Nice Hawg...Congrats and many more...
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:25 AM

Great catch! thumb
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:27 AM

WOW! Much appreciated. I was able to learn something that will be helpful.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
WOW! Much appreciated. I was able to learn something that will be helpful.

You're welcome.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:35 AM

WOW, you can officially say BIGGUN, GIANT and be telling the truth.

bow_down
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:24 AM

Nice fish...I was out on Pool on Monday and caught a couple of nice ones ..biggest 6.75, 22 inch fish...but yours is a definite hog.. caught most of my fish shallow as well...all on top water..congrats on the catch.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ToadThrower
Nice fish...I was out on Pool on Monday and caught a couple of nice ones ..biggest 6.75, 22 inch fish...but yours is a definite hog.. caught most of my fish shallow as well...all on top water..congrats on the catch.

It was a good day to be on the water. They were busting bait for a couple of hours that morning by the dam. The next day not so much!!!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:47 AM

I've had fish on that scale at JP before.

I think yours was over 10. That scale is not accurate.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Well dang bang Don't tell me that!!!!
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:19 AM

Lol yeah that's over 10. You got jipped lol
Posted By: GriddleGrizzly

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:52 AM

Uhhhh, how much is it off, just out of curiosity?
Posted By: GROD

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:53 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: stxrippinlips1

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:54 AM

Nice fish congrats!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 06:12 AM

Looks about right to me. 10lb frame with 9.4 body...

And blind in 1 eye
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 12:32 PM

Great fish buddy! Congrats on the new PB!!

Also thanks for being legit on the weight and actually weighing her. Just goes to prove how truly special a LEGIT DD really is.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 12:52 PM

Great fish, congrats.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Also thanks for being legit on the weight and actually weighing her. Just goes to prove how truly special a LEGIT DD really is.

Thanks. thumb
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 01:35 PM

That's on helluva fish man!
Posted By: criglizard

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:23 PM

Nice fish. Get a good hand held scale for the boat. Hopefully you got a picture that isn't inside the bait shop.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
Nice fish. Get a good hand held scale for the boat. Hopefully you got a picture that isn't inside the bait shop.

I have a handheld but didn't even use it since I figured the bait shops would have been the best option. I was by myself and those are the only pics I got. I did video the release though grin

I'll be looking into a good scale that grabs the lips instead of the traditional hook style for the future.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 02:55 PM

That's what it's all about! Nice fish, and thanks for sharing. I haven't been to Pool in months...
Posted By: perrypogue

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:33 PM

Why don't you take something that you know the weight of and put it on those scales?
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71

I have a handheld but didn't even use it since I figured the bait shops would have been the best option. I was by myself and those are the only pics I got. I did video the release though grin

I'll be looking into a good scale that grabs the lips instead of the traditional hook style for the future.

Congrats on a beautiful fish. My PB was 8.03 lbs and I caught a toad on PK this year. I figured it was around 9 lbs but was praying she was a 10. She ended up weighing 8.80 lbs. Just can't imagine what it would be like to hold a true 10 lber.

For weighing bigger fish, I like to tare the scale with a weigh bag and then place them in the weigh bag. Seems to be much less stressful on the fish and easier to get a quick stable reading.

Hope you get your DD soon!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 03:51 PM

thumb clap flag
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 04:03 PM

Awesome catch & release clap
Posted By: 96speed

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 06:02 PM

This. Nice fish.
Posted By: Slade

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 07:30 PM

I've put several good fish on that scale including a few DD's, it's certified and pretty accurate I think. But it does make me wonder a little, I caught one that was close to 10# a month or so ago and took it to that scale and it was a 9.2. On my handheld it was right at 10#. Here it is:

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 07:39 PM

Interesting....

Take a 10# bag of sugar or flour in there and see what it reads.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 08:02 PM

Interesting....

Just make sure it's not from Mexico, it could be off a pound either way, lol.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 08:10 PM

The certified scale is inaccurate? Right....

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 08:27 PM

I called the owner of The Oasis at Joe Pool. He is going to check the scale tomorrow to see when it was last certified & calibrated. He caught a 10.47 and a 9.68 this March and weighed both of them on that same scale. He definitely wants to make sure his scale is accurate.

On a side note, if I had a nickel for every fish I've put on a scale that wound up being lighter than I thought it was, I would be RICH!!!! roflmao
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 10:54 PM

Congrats!!!
Great fish and pics!
Accurate weight as well!
That fish could easily be 10 depending on recent meals!

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 11:08 PM

I called the owner of The Oasis at Joe Pool. He is going to check the scale tomorrow to see when it was last certified & calibrated. He caught a 10.47 and a 9.68 this March and weighed both of them on that same scale. He definitely wants to make sure his scale is accurate.

On a side note, if I had a nickel for every fish I've put on a scale that wound up being lighter than I thought it was, I would be RICH!!!! roflmao

I'll be anticipating the results grin popcorn

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/01/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Slade
I've put several good fish on that scale including a few DD's, it's certified and pretty accurate I think. But it does make me wonder a little, I caught one that was close to 10# a month or so ago and took it to that scale and it was a 9.2. On my handheld it was right at 10#. Here it is:

Nice fish. Joe Pool definitely has some gooduns in it!!!

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/02/17 01:32 PM

I have a handheld scale that I use but I also carry a Check-it stick and use the table below ...I have found this to be very close and on average to be very accurate...I have caught some long fish that were "skinny" and some short ones that were football fat...but the weights are still fairly close to those listed...the hand held scale then confirms..as you can see from the table the fish has to be approaching 25 inches or better to approach 10+...good quick check for your scale or weight reading. Really helped me one day figure out I had my hand held on kg not lbs...LOL..

From the Texas Parks and Wildlife:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/02/17 02:37 PM

Interesting....

Yes but a ten pound sack of sugar is shorter then that fish are you sure it will weight the same????

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/02/17 03:51 PM

I have a handheld scale that I use but I also carry a Check-it stick and use the table below ...I have found this to be very close and on average to be very accurate...I have caught some long fish that were "skinny" and some short ones that were football fat...but the weights are still fairly close to those listed...the hand held scale then confirms..as you can see from the table the fish has to be approaching 25 inches or better to approach 10+...good quick check for your scale or weight reading. Really helped me one day figure out I had my hand held on kg not lbs...LOL..

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml

This is interesting but measurements will not be accurate IMO. It's like measuring a hog and giving a weight.

Perfect example is the state record of 18.18 and only measured 25.5" Just way too many variables. I believe the weight will be very close to what it showed. I just don't think it will be off a 1/2 a pound to make it to 10 but it will be interesting to see what they find on it.

1 Lake Fork 18.18 25.5 1/24/1992 Barry StClair X X

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/02/17 06:43 PM

I have no experience using this table on a double digit....hope to some day.. smile .but for those less than 10 it is a great approximate weight..not saying a 24 inch couldn't weigh 10 but it would be the exception..and so a weight on a scale can confirm the fish is consistent with others that size..just another tool to use ..much easier to get a quick measure on a fish..
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/02/17 07:57 PM

Nice fish. Congratulations on your PB! cheers
Posted By: Yankee Fool

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/03/17 11:53 AM

Looks delicious
Posted By: Canny

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 04:56 PM

Nice catch! I'm still searching for that DD bass, came close at 9 lbs 12oz but not 10+ yet.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 07:31 PM

You should have put the fish in a basket because to much of the fish was hanging off the scale. I think that could have made the weight incorrect. My 2 cents

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
You should have put the fish in a basket because to much of the fish was hanging off the scale. I think that could have made the weight incorrect. My 2 cents

That's just how they have it setup. I have the live photo from my iPhone and when she raises her tail she goes to 9.5lbs. Didn't change that much.
Posted By: G Pope

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
Interesting....

Yes but a ten pound sack of sugar is shorter then that fish are you sure it will weight the same????
hmmm
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 09:40 PM

Awesome fish and absolute lunker for this time of year!!!

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man

As long as the fish was not touching anything else the entire weight of the fish was resting on the scale. It would be kind of like a human standing on a bathroom scale while raising one foot off the scale. You are still going to weigh the same if you have one foot on the scale or both feet on the scale provided no part of your body is touching any other object.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 10:06 PM

This is interesting but measurements will not be accurate IMO. It's like measuring a hog and giving a weight.

Perfect example is the state record of 18.18 and only measured 25.5" Just way too many variables. I believe the weight will be very close to what it showed. I just don't think it will be off a 1/2 a pound to make it to 10 but it will be interesting to see what they find on it.

1 Lake Fork 18.18 25.5 1/24/1992 Barry StClair X X

That is correct. I witnessed a SAL from Fork that weighed 13.25# that was 23" Long and 23" in Girth!

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 10:22 PM

I am having lunch with the owner of The Oasis this Thursday. I will take a ten pound bag of sugar and set it on the scale and take a pic. Someone else will need to post it for me on here. PM me your cell and I will text it to ya.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/05/17 11:08 PM

Awesome fish!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/06/17 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: criglizard

Another option is to get one of these.

take the lanyard off and it weighs nothing. Attach the ring to the bottom of your scale and now you can clip the fish to any choice of scales. It is so light it won't even register on a scale. I hate the ones with the hook because the fish come off so easily. They have them in 2 sizes at Bass Pro and I got the smaller one and it works great. They keep them back next to the scales.

Nice fish. It's been almost 2 years since I caught one that size and it was at Pool also.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/06/17 12:23 PM

I am having lunch with the owner of The Oasis this Thursday. I will take a ten pound bag of sugar and set it on the scale and take a pic. Someone else will need to post it for me on here. PM me your cell and I will text it to ya.

I doubt Larry Walker even fishes! What does that guy know about catching big fish anyways.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/06/17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12

I doubt Larry Walker even fishes! What does that guy know about catching big fish anyways.

Ha! Yeah Right! You know better. That guy has gills!!
Posted By: Phototex

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 01:49 AM

9+ or 10, she's a beauty either way. Congratulations on your new PB!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 04:22 AM

Congrats , Nice Catch

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 04:07 PM

Results are in...... Looks like it is dead on.

Full bag 10.1 lbs

Empty bag .08lbs

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 06:47 PM

Like I said if I had a nickel for every time I had taken a fish in that weighed less than I thought it did I would be a RICH Man today!!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 07:12 PM

I digress.

Thanks for the verification.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 07:39 PM

Full bag 10.1 lbs

Empty bag .08lbs

How do you know that bag of sugar weighs 10 lbs. ? Cause it says so ? You think they weigh each individual bag before they ship it out. Just trying to cause trouble, lol. Something to consider though. Personally I think the guy has a 10 lb'er.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 08:15 PM

Pretty close to every bag. It's like every 5-10 bags and if one is found under then they have to weigh every bag for a certain number. So I figure the scale was pretty on. Even so it was a heck of a fish.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Full bag 10.1 lbs

Empty bag .08lbs

How do you know that bag of sugar weighs 10 lbs. ? Cause it says so ? You think they weigh each individual bag before they ship it out. Just trying to cause trouble, lol. Something to consider though. Personally I think the guy has a 10 lb'er.

Okay Ronnie..... Now I'm starting to question that supposed 14 pounder you caught back in 1942.... wink

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 08:36 PM

While having lunch with Larry today at the Oasis, we talked about how many "Ten Pounders" he and I had taken in to weigh only to find out they would only go Nine Something. roflmao

He was just as glad as I was to see his scale is pretty much dead-nuts on at Ten Pounds. BTW, it is scheduled to be recalibrated and certified in April 2018 again. And now you know. thumb

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 09:42 PM

Am I the only one wondering what happened to the 10 pounds of sugar that was in the bag??? grin

I don't care if it was 9.47 or 10.47. Either way its a GIANT of a fish and even more impressive that it was caught in the dead of summer.

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Am I the only one wondering what happened to the 10 pounds of sugar that was in the bag??? grin

I don't care if it was 9.47 or 10.47. Either way its a GIANT of a fish and even more impressive that it was caught in the dead of summer.

They poured it in their tea at lunch roflmao

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/07/17 10:35 PM

Full bag 10.1 lbs

Empty bag .08lbs

Okay Ronnie..... Now I'm starting to question that supposed 14 pounder you caught back in 1942.... wink

First off it was more than 14 and secondly it wasn't in 1942, thirdly it was weighed on certified scales by two different people one of which was a TP&W officer, fourthly (is that a word?) You saw the fish and fifthly (probably not a word either ) it was in a tournament and I won money for it. I was going to say sixthly but decided to start a new sentence. roflmao My point was not to say the scales were wrong but how do you know a 10 lb. bag of sugar weighs 10lbs. or a pound of coffee weighs 1 pound or a 3 lb. bag of flour weighs 3 pounds. As a reference a 2X4 is 3-1/2 by 1-1/5. Anyway, this was all in jest trying to make a couple of 'ol bass chasers giggle a little. roflmao
Posted By: Truck 6, Tillerman

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/08/17 01:06 AM

I told you Ken!!!

Re: ALMOST GOT INTO THE DOUBLE DIGITS.... - 09/08/17 02:08 AM

Full bag 10.1 lbs

Empty bag .08lbs

First off it was more than 14 and secondly it wasn't in 1942, thirdly it was weighed on certified scales by two different people one of which was a TP&W officer, fourthly (is that a word?) You saw the fish and fifthly (probably not a word either ) it was in a tournament and I won money for it. I was going to say sixthly but decided to start a new sentence. roflmao My point was not to say the scales were wrong but how do you know a 10 lb. bag of sugar weighs 10lbs. or a pound of coffee weighs 1 pound or a 3 lb. bag of flour weighs 3 pounds. As a reference a 2X4 is 3-1/2 by 1-1/5. Anyway, this was all in jest trying to make a couple of 'ol bass chasers giggle a little. roflmao

You didn't tell me you were in a tournament when you caught her! That is way too cool!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum