Texas Fishing Forum

Reverberations from Harvey

Posted By: SK1

Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 09:42 PM

Here in east texas we're already feeling the effects of Harvey in the form of soaring gas prices . Buddy of mine called me from Dallas this morning and said that a lot of stations in Dallas are already out and the ones that do have gas some are price gouging . So just a heads up,you might want to fill up everything you have. Better safe than sorry .
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 09:45 PM

This statement and then everyone texting and sending bad information out on social media is what's causing the damn shortage and the panic, LOL
SMDH???
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 09:46 PM

Well running for the gas stations is one way to drive up prices and make it harder to recover.

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 09:56 PM

You don't have to take my advice . Do nothing , you'll be fine. Just sharing information that might be helpful too some.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 10:03 PM

Nothing personal SK1
Just wanted folks to think about it for a second before they Facebook and text every person they know that the sky is falling...go buy all you can now!!!!!
It's just not wise.

There are folks that desperately need fuel right now...I am not one of those
I just got back from Houston with our duck boats and I can assure you those folks can tell you what NEED means

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 10:09 PM

No offense taken mudbone,but the price is rising fast here,just trying to give a heads up .
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 11:14 PM

I got 16 cent worth before the pump ran out in Justin. Came on home. Not sitting in line for another 45 min.. Don't have anywhere to go anyway.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 11:23 PM

the only 2 people that dont read facebook, me and bill belichick, didnt get the memo. but I see chaos at the gas stations now. Wouldnt be suprised if someone didnt start punching people in the face fighting over it.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 11:26 PM

I saw this in 1979, people panicking and topping off their tanks. They're not, I repeat not, out of gas. They're just having trouble getting it to the stations and making a run on the stations only makes things worse. I filled up Monday and I won't need gas again for another 3-4 days. Of course I'm not leaving town for the holidays or going fishing in order to save my gas but " this too shall pass". Next week things will be back to normal.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 11:38 PM

we have less of a fuel supply problem than an irrational panic demand problem.

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

You nailed it Mr. Martin. thumb
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 08/31/17 11:58 PM

+1

Just like the OP posting on this site. That's the reason gas stations are out of gas. Everyone believes what they read on social media!
Posted By: snickers

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 01:18 AM

As the guy with the electric car laughs away
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 01:54 AM

I guess I was stupid for not putting gas in the boat this morning, now all the stations in sanger are sold out. Will make me change my weekend fishing plans a little different. Just have to drive the boat slower and conserve my boat gas. I sure am not sitting in line 30-45 minutes to get gas. It was the same way in Denton at 330 this morning though lines at the pumps. Just insane that people think there is going to be a shortage and everyone runs out to fill up.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Wrong, guys (respectfully). Refineries are shut down and it could be weeks before they perform damage assessments and restart. Current gasoline inventory for the state is about 10 days.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 02:26 AM

Whatever it is, stations are out of gas, so we will see how that goes. On the other hand I rolled right into a "closed" "out of gas" station about 20 minutes ago and filled my truck with diesel so that's nice banana
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Mudman63

Wrong, guys (respectfully). Refineries are shut down and it could be weeks before they perform damage assessments and restart. Current gasoline inventory for the state is about 10 days.

That's not what the oil and gas commission had to say. They said there is PLENTY of gas..actually an excess. The shortage is consumer driven by a panic from misinformation.

On that.i have seen a few stations near my house actually sell out.

TWICE TODAY ALONE!!!! It's being delivered twice a day. The race trac manager here said normally they get fuel twice a week. Not twice a day.

Get the facts before you head out and sit in a line of others and get a temper tantrum started.

Haha. Calm down and drink a beer.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 05:12 AM

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harvey/2...g-gas-shortages
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 12:13 PM

Thanks for the link, Mark.

I believe this is what I said in fewer words and less scholarly in a prior post.

A reserve of 23 million gallons of gasoline was available after refineries shut down. Texas uses 9.5 million gallons of gasoline per day. That means there was about 10-12 days of reserve gasoline.

Refineries have not restarted and we are on day 5'ish of the shutdown.

So, until refineries restart, the reserve will be diminishing.

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 12:48 PM

I believe this is what I said in fewer words and less scholarly in a prior post.

A reserve of 23 million gallons of gasoline was available after refineries shut down. Texas uses 9.5 million gallons of gasoline per day. That means there was about 10-12 days of reserve gasoline.

Is this assuming that every refinery is down? Or are these numbers based on the 2 or 3 refinerys that are currently shut down?

I know that a lot of north Tx stations receive fuel from OK. I think the OK refineries are working and uneffected by flood waters.

The gas stations by my house today have gas....and no lines.

The panic is over! Everyone go fishing.

Edit.....news just said that 16% of Texas refineries are down. Of course, we know that mean nothing to the folks that waited 2-3 hours to get gas last night! roflmao

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 01:08 PM

All the stations on ny way home this had gas and no lines. Filled up easily today.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
All the stations on ny way home this had gas and no lines. Filled up easily today.

I'm jealous! Every station I passed in NRH this morning was out, even QT and Racetrac. The Racetrac and QT on Beltline and 30 had a few pumps working but lines were about 30 cars deep. Fuel light came on in the company car, but I still have 100 miles to go in that little sucker. Think I have enough boat gas for the weekend but if not surely at 5 am I can get to a pump with the boat. fish

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I'm jealous! Every station I passed in NRH this morning was out, even QT and Racetrac. The Racetrac and QT on Beltline and 30 had a few pumps working but lines were about 30 cars deep. Fuel light came on in the company car, but I still have 100 miles to go in that little sucker. Think I have enough boat gas for the weekend but if not surely at 5 am I can get to a pump with the boat. fish

Saginaw to Roanoke was fine. Hopefully it stays that way.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 02:52 PM

23 million gallons at 9.5mm/day is less than three days' supply. No need to panic in the Metromess. Although waiting will cost you a bit more/gallon. We have gasoline down here at some stores, but very limited, for now. Valero is restarting their Corpus and Three Rivers refineries and should be producing spec products early next week. The article above is incorrect, talking about the Houston Ship Channel reopening. It's open to some very limited emergency traffic. We've had ships parked at our Galena Park docks since pre-Harvey and they're still sitting there. We have a bunch of ships scheduled inbound, but they still cannot come in due to Coast Guard restrictions.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 03:30 PM

In North Texas "panic-land" we get most our gas from North of us...

http://www.kxii.com/content/news/Supplier-Stop-panic-buying-gas-442386983.html
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 03:44 PM

Texas Railroad Commissioner Ryan Sitton said during a sit-down chat with The Texas Tribune that there no reason to panic.

“Right now in Texas, there are about 15 refineries that have been taken down because of the hurricane or at reduced capacity,” Sitton said.

But this represents only a few million barrels of gasoline out of the country’s total 230 million barrel supply.

“There’s a logistics issue,” he said, rather than a supply issue. As pipelines come back online and roads continue to open, supply trucks will be able to provide gas stations around Texas with gasoline from suppliers around the country.

Though Sitton understands the instinct to panic, he cautions people to wait to get gas if it’s not a crucial need or to drive a few miles farther to a station that has a greater supply and a shorter line.

If people rush to gas stations to fill up their tank out of fear that the supply will run out, they cause an increased demand.

“Even if all the refineries were running,” Sitton said, “we’d still be having this issue.”

For those concerned about price gouging, Sitton recommends filing a formal complaint with the state’s Department of Justice. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has vowed to prosecute gougers who take advantage of this crisis.

However, Sitton acknowledges that a 20-, 30- or 50-cent per-gallon increase does not constitute gouging but represents a short-term decrease in supply caused by the storm.

We have gas down here in the Waco area, but it seems as tho its just regular grade.
They are selling it for around $2.60 per gallon

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 04:07 PM

yes refineries have shut down and supply is affected by somewhere between 11% and 25% depending on who you ask. That will cause prices to increase accordingly. The gas reserves are used to make up that gap. Its not like supply is suddenly zero. We get gas from houston, yes, but also OK and W texas.

The group-panic demand though is what is causing the spot outages - what we are seeing is an irrationally disproportionate response to a moderate supply issue.
Which is what my original statement was - we have MORE of a panic demand problem than a supply problem.

For me personally, i think i will cut back on my driving for now. I don't like going to the lake anyway on Labor Day, 4th of July, Memorial day, too many drunk amateurs on the water and clogging up the launch ramps. So I plan to just kick back on my couch, watch some college football, and not worry about filling up until things settle down some and the metroplex returns to some level of sanity.

I hope social media doesn't create a panic on a beef shortage this weekend, i was hoping to fire up my grill at some point. But if everyone suddenly thinks that we might run out of hamburger meat, you can bet that panic'd consumers will run out en masse and grocery stores would in fact, have no beef on hand (pending next delivery).
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 04:45 PM

There's no gas in Austin. I'm so frustrated. Idiots filling up trash cans full of gas. That news station in Dallas that ran that FAKE NEWS doom and gloom story about gas is what started it. Now I can't do anything this weekend because my truck is out of gas.

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: wtf242
There's no gas in Austin. I'm so frustrated. Idiots filling up trash cans full of gas. That news station in Dallas that ran that FAKE NEWS doom and gloom story about gas is what started it. Now I can't do anything this weekend because my truck is out of gas.

use this to key in your Zipcode or city
Gas Availability

Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 05:54 PM

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 08:11 PM

yes refineries have shut down and supply is affected by somewhere between 11% and 25% depending on who you ask. That will cause prices to increase accordingly. The gas reserves are used to make up that gap. Its not like supply is suddenly zero. We get gas from houston, yes, but also OK and W texas.

The group-panic demand though is what is causing the spot outages - what we are seeing is an irrationally disproportionate response to a moderate supply issue.
Which is what my original statement was - we have MORE of a panic demand problem than a supply problem.

For me personally, i think i will cut back on my driving for now. I don't like going to the lake anyway on Labor Day, 4th of July, Memorial day, too many drunk amateurs on the water and clogging up the launch ramps. So I plan to just kick back on my couch, watch some college football, and not worry about filling up until things settle down some and the metroplex returns to some level of sanity.

I hope social media doesn't create a panic on a beef shortage this weekend, i was hoping to fire up my grill at some point. But if everyone suddenly thinks that we might run out of hamburger meat, you can bet that panic'd consumers will run out en masse and grocery stores would in fact, have no beef on hand (pending next delivery).

Just saw an internet news flash that all the meat producers are shutting down their bologna line for the holiday. Walmart has 3 pounds of Oscar Meyer left so better hurry.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 08:39 PM

I think the gas shortage is real. Everyone should play it safe and stay off the lakes this weekend to conserve gas for the cars and trucks that need it. I will be on Palestine just to monitor who is respecting this dreadful turn of events, hopefully I wont see any other boats out there mad.

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
I think the gas shortage is real. Everyone should play it safe and stay off the lakes this weekend to conserve gas for the cars and trucks that need it. I will be on Palestine just to monitor who is respecting this dreadful turn of events, hopefully I wont see any other boats out there mad.

ha! hope you catch a few while you are 'monitoring'
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 09:48 PM

Gas Availability

Lines long everywhere in North Austin cedar Park. Others closed. Luckily I have diesel so alot of stations are closed but they still have diesel pumps open. No wait ...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Gas Availability

Lines long everywhere in North Austin cedar Park. Others closed. Luckily I have diesel so alot of stations are closed but they still have diesel pumps open. No wait ...

A lot more Prius types than diesel types in Cali east Austin roflmao

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/01/17 11:40 PM

no doubt about that!

Re: Reverberations from Harvey - 09/02/17 01:41 AM

Ok.....bought gas for the truck and Skeeter in DFW without shooting, hitting, cussing....or even waiting in a line.

Crisis is over........

Where's everyone going the next three day?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum