Texas Fishing Forum

Power Loading?

Posted By: Kiss88

Power Loading? - 08/31/17 06:39 PM

Opinions on power loading boats at ramp?
Bad for boat? Trailer? Ramp washout?

I notice alot of people seem to do it. Even i do. I know it makes loading faster. Just got to thinking on this and wondering if it hurts anything. Maybe some tips or pointers on safe(r) loading. I always worry about my prop even though i keep it a little over halfway tilted up while loading.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 06:45 PM

Can't comment on all the new technology but we have a 1979 Lowe John Boat with a 40 Merc on the back, have been loading it this way my entire life. For the last 20 years, pops backs in the trailer, I line it up and get er up on there. Been smacking the 2x4 at the front of the trailer for 20 years and hasn't hurt a thing.

Only downside I can see is the prop wash from people that gun it makes a hole at the end of the ramp. In years where the water is down, you can drop a trailer off the end of the ramp because of the wash out I would think.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 06:47 PM

yeah but that prop wash will hold fish too.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:00 PM

Tell your trailer guy not to dilly dally. He can use the bathroom, take off his clothes, do that stuff later. Get the trailer in the water. As soon as you see he's backing down; tilt your motor and start heading for it. Time it so as soon as the trailer is at the proper depth you are on the trailer. Trailer guy pulls out while you are in gear, on the throttle. Kill the engine as soon as the prop starts clearing the water, and tilt it up. Get out of everyone's way and tie it down. The world will be a better place.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:05 PM

Lots of my trips are by myself, so "power loading" is my only realistic option. Never had an issue.

Just find that sweet spot for trailer depth, no sense in having to go wide open for 15 seconds to get the boat up on the roller when you can just back the truck down another foot.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: furim2
Tell your trailer guy not to dilly dally. He can use the bathroom, take off his clothes, do that stuff later. Get the trailer in the water. As soon as you see he's backing down; tilt your motor and start heading for it. Time it so as soon as the trailer is at the proper depth you are on the trailer. Trailer guy pulls out while you are in gear, on the throttle. Kill the engine as soon as the prop starts clearing the water, and tilt it up. Get out of everyone's way and tie it down. The world will be a better place.

I agree to a point. I'm going to walk up and hook my bow hook before we pull out. Takes just a second..
Posted By: dr.juice

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:14 PM

I see that tilting the motor up when loading was mentioned. This actually has damaged props by driving the back of the boat down when loading. Trim the motor down all the way and driving it on does not raise the bow and it slides right up if the boards are wet and depth is correct.
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:15 PM

I certainly try not to waste any time especially if I'm at a busy ramp, but trying to rush and doing something stupid doesn't help anyone in the long run. If you can't wait long enough for my trailer to get in the right position before I load my boat, then you are in too big of a hurry.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:15 PM

That's how we all do it at Squaw Creek! Wawi taught us, plus make sure your head lights are off.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:30 PM

All I do is power load.. Much quicker and easier. As far as damage goes, the trailer isn't and issue from my experience.. The motor doesn't care, it pushes the boat anyway.

Now for this, I'm not 100% sure about. There are a lot of ramps up north that aren't made very long into the water, so many northern folks look down on power loading. The ramps here in Texas/the south are made plenty long to where you won't drop off the end, so the power loading won't hurt anything. I'm not 100% on this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Only damage I've done when power loading is to the prop, and that was one time and my fault. Good ole ramp rash smile
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
Lots of my trips are by myself, so "power loading" is my only realistic option. Never had an issue.

Just find that sweet spot for trailer depth, no sense in having to go wide open for 15 seconds to get the boat up on the roller when you can just back the truck down another foot.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 07:58 PM

The only time I power load is when my partner is with me and the ramp is busy, other than that why do you need to power load if your by yourself and your going to walk right by the bow hook.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 08:01 PM

usually when I see someone not power loading I think they must have engine problems
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dr.juice
I see that tilting the motor up when loading was mentioned. This actually has damaged props by driving the back of the boat down when loading. Trim the motor down all the way and driving it on does not raise the bow and it slides right up if the boards are wet and depth is correct.

hammer Think I'm going to pass on this suggestion.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 08:24 PM

EZ loader trailers pretty much require Power Loading, if you go to far back with the trailer then your bow will hang under the roller.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 08:53 PM

I powerload then attach the bow hook before pulling the boat out every time. My peace of mind is worth the additional 5 seconds it takes to get out of the way.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 09:04 PM

Please explain how this can damage props, never heard of such a thing.....

P_102
Posted By: squib

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
EZ loader trailers pretty much require Power Loading, if you go to far back with the trailer then your bow will hang under the roller.

This ain't no lie. Those trailers don't give you much of another option unless you want to see you bow slide under the roller.
Posted By: DuctsZX250

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 09:39 PM

Always have power loaded, hit the sweet spot and give it just a little throttle.

No harm to trailer or boat but not so sure about ramp.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
yeah but that prop wash will hold fish too.

true dat
Posted By: Laser

Re: Power Loading? - 08/31/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102

Please explain how this can damage props, never heard of such a thing.....

P_102

Trailer pushes front of boat up which pushes back of boat down and prop hits ramp.
Experience talking
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 12:08 AM

bass boat trailers are designed as drive on trailers....not float on or crank on....trim your engine up a little ways,back trailer in until water covers all but about 6 inches of your bunk board and drive your boat onto the trailer....if your partner has backed the boat down,hold the trailer up against the winch stop with engine while your partner pulls slowly up the ramp.....when you boat settles on the trailer,it's not gonna come off unless you have put something slick on the bunks or it's below freezing....
go watch the pros load and unload their boats and you will see them doing exactly what I described.....
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

I agree to a point. I'm going to walk up and hook my bow hook before we pull out. Takes just a second..

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^ I have seen it happen more than once where the person driving the truck stands on the gas like he's leaving the line at the drag strip and OFF goes the boat.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
That's how we all do it at Squaw Creek! Wawi taught us, plus make sure your head lights are off.

You are a scholar and a gentleman. As for the rest of you please don't consider anything that will make you slower. Let's act like we have done this before .
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 02:24 AM

Ive been doing power loading for 30 years I think your safe and yes WAWI is a Genius!! Well done on training Mr. WAWI and the lights are off...
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 02:39 AM

Skeeters, as well as most other boats I've owned, are designed to be driven onto the trailer. The winch strap isn't strong enough to pull the boat onto the trailer on a regular basis. It is for the time when the motor is having a bad day.

That said, a gentle throttle and proper loading depth of the trailer will go a long way to preserving the bow of the boat.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bird

Me too. The trailer is already at an angle and you aren't giving it enough throttle to drive the motor down and even if you do, the prop is angled upward so the front of the lower unit would drag not the prop. Besides, by the time my boat floats onto the trailer and I give it throttle, it is supported by the bunks and I am just pushing it forward. No where else for it to go. Heard of plenty of people damaging a prop that had the motor down and it scraped the bottom or hit a rock under the water.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 04:11 AM

x2.. Left my motor all the way down once.. Got home to see my prop with Ramp Rash Disease eek
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: dk2429

x2.. Left my motor all the way down once.. Got home to see my prop with Ramp Rash Disease eek

...And adds the potential of a bent shaft... realmad
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 04:47 AM

Find the sweet spot on each lake/ramp for your trailer one good bump on the gas and set your boat. I've seen many guys with the trailer to deep and and the boat falls back down. Seen many guys too shallow and over do it with the throttle which could be bad for the trim. One thing is for me... my skeeter has kick outs in the hull. I don't want pressure points of my kick out sitting on a bunk. Which makes me almost have slide my boat on the trailer. Don't crank on your hook up. It's just an anchor point like the stern hook ups.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Originally Posted By: dk2429

...And adds the potential of a bent shaft... realmad

+100

The guys that have their motors tucked all the way while under loading the boat are the same guys that idle around in the stumps with the motor tucked. The prop shops and motor mechanics love y'all!! LOL

I have watched "experienced" boaters damage their props beyond repair at the ramp because they had no common sense. Trim the motor to the top of the TRIM cycle before loading. This will prevent damage to the prop and LU.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 12:52 PM

Yep.....the trim switch has a little picture of a motor on a transom on the bottom and a "boat on a trailer" at the top. It is there to suggest trimming up to load up.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I have watched "experienced" boaters damage their props beyond repair at the ramp because they had not common sense. Trim the motor to the top of the TRIM cycle before loading. This will prevent damage to the prop and LU.

bingo bango
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: PaPa@fork
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^ I have seen it happen more than once where the person driving the truck stands on the gas like he's leaving the line at the drag strip and OFF goes the boat.

Happened to me once...partner nailed the gas and boat slid off. I always hook the strap now.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 01:10 PM

All above plus leave your headlights on high , especially @ Sqaw
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 05:18 PM

On many bass boats if not most, you can't really soft load your boat anyway. If you back it up far enough that the boat can be loaded without power loading you end up hitting the bow eye on the front roller. Or back it up to where the boat does not sit on the trailer and it drifts. A very shallow incline would not cause this but most ramp angles requires power loading.

One of the do not does on a boat ramp is to back the trailer in too far. Rookie mistake.
Posted By: dr.juice

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 07:01 PM

The guys that have their motors tucked all the way while under loading the boat are the same guys that idle around in the stumps with the motor tucked. The prop shops and motor mechanics love y'all!! LOL

I have watched "experienced" boaters damage their props beyond repair at the ramp because they had no common sense. Trim the motor to the top of the TRIM cycle before loading. This will prevent damage to the prop and LU.

Only prop I have ever damaged was on a boat ramp doing just as you suggest. YMMV And no I do not idle thru timber with the motor down. Where did that shot across the bow come from?

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
All above plus leave your headlights on high , especially @ Sqaw

I guess I'm missing out about all the comments about Squaw Creek. Can someone elaborate?
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 07:15 PM

I have no choice but to power load. If I back in the water far enough that I can idle all the way up, the back end of my boat remains floating and I have a 50/50 shot of it falling right into place.

If I want it positioned perfectly on the trailer I have to throttle up all the way, then if I back off the throttle it will slide back down. I've tried it just about every way, only way it doesn't slide down is if I leave a little more trailer out of the water and then use way more throttle.

So motor stays in gear with a little gas until I get the strap on it.

I usually make a duck hunting trip every year to the Chesapeake. My buddies there get in the water with their waders and walk their boat onto the trailer.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1

One of the do not does on a boat ramp is to back the trailer in too far. Rookie mistake.

Guaranteed!!
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 08:58 PM

Most guys that have a small amount of experience do NOT gas it while pulling up the boat ramp.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 10:01 PM

Back in our bass chasing days we got real good at loading and unloading. I usually drove, but mama was trained in the USN way to back a trailer, so she still can back up a trailer, no drama. Anyhow, I would pull up to the ramp on arrival (after making ready to launch) and back the boat in until water reached our mark. I'd then hop out and she'd get in the driver's seat. I'm already in the boat and unhooking the bow line and dropping the motor. The merc fired up pretty easy and I'd put a little reverse in and if it didn't roll, I'd motion for a little more back. She'd roll it back three feet and I'd be floating. Now I'm clear and motion for her to pull out and she's gone and parking. I'd beach the boat and wait for her to push us off and hop in and we're off. Took maybe five minutes to clear the ramp. Coming back in, pretty much the reverse. Beach, back the trailer in, eyeball it from boat and maybe ask for more back, then drive slowly right up to the winch. Kill the merc and raise it, jump up front and clip the bow line and nod to mama watching thru the open rear window, and she pulls forward to the back of the lot. Secure the rig and hit the road. We were a well oiled machine.

Of course we left the high beams and fog lights on at all times.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 10:01 PM

Im just shocked at the level of struggle some of you appear to have loading and unloading boats. Maybe bowling would be more your speed. lol

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
I have no choice but to power load. If I back in the water far enough that I can idle all the way up, the back end of my boat remains floating and I have a 50/50 shot of it falling right into place.

If I want it positioned perfectly on the trailer I have to throttle up all the way, then if I back off the throttle it will slide back down. I've tried it just about every way, only way it doesn't slide down is if I leave a little more trailer out of the water and then use way more throttle.

So motor stays in gear with a little gas until I get the strap on it.

I usually make a duck hunting trip every year to the Chesapeake. My buddies there get in the water with their waders and walk their boat onto the trailer.

Too deep with the trailer.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Power Loading? - 09/01/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
Im just shocked at the level of struggle some of you appear to have loading and unloading boats. Maybe bowling would be more your speed. lol
roflmao they would probably loft the ball to high or to low.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 01:36 AM

can someone explain what "power loading" is? I just got my first boat, a legend v20, this year and I have no idea what yall are talking about.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: wtf242
can someone explain what "power loading" is? I just got my first boat, a legend v20, this year and I have no idea what yall are talking about.
using the motor to drive the boat onto the trailer.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

aah ok. I wasn't aware anyone ever loaded a trailer differently

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 03:58 AM

aah ok. I wasn't aware anyone ever loaded a trailer differently

Haha exactly!

Most the folks that don't are usually people that haven't been around boating for a while.. I like to grab a lawn chair on busy saturdays and watch these people try to crank these big [censored] wakeboats up on dry bunks. I eventually go over there and help them but gotta get the laugh in first....

You've got yourself a fine rig by the way.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Back in our bass chasing days we got real good at loading and unloading. I usually drove, but mama was trained in the USN way to back a trailer, so she still can back up a trailer, no drama. Anyhow, I would pull up to the ramp on arrival (after making ready to launch) and back the boat in until water reached our mark. I'd then hop out and she'd get in the driver's seat. I'm already in the boat and unhooking the bow line and dropping the motor. The merc fired up pretty easy and I'd put a little reverse in and if it didn't roll, I'd motion for a little more back. She'd roll it back three feet and I'd be floating. Now I'm clear and motion for her to pull out and she's gone and parking. I'd beach the boat and wait for her to push us off and hop in and we're off. Took maybe five minutes to clear the ramp. Coming back in, pretty much the reverse. Beach, back the trailer in, eyeball it from boat and maybe ask for more back, then drive slowly right up to the winch. Kill the merc and raise it, jump up front and clip the bow line and nod to mama watching thru the open rear window, and she pulls forward to the back of the lot. Secure the rig and hit the road. We were a well oiled machine.

Of course we left the high beams and fog lights on at all times.

you're close to being a well oiled machine but not quite there yet.....
next time,unhook everything before you back down the ramp,get in the boat and have your truck driver launch the boat by backing far enough in with enough momentum so that your boat floats off and continues backward.... that way he is headed up the ramp while you are cranking the engine....
when you are loading your boat,have your truck driver back the trailer in to the correct power loading depth(usually about 6 inches of bunkboard showing)....trim your engine about halfway up and shove boat up against winch stop and hold it there with the engine running in gear,signal your driver to slowly pull up the ramp and when the prop clears the wter,shut off the engine...you will have loaded your boat in less than a minute just like the pros do....and....when you're fishing a big tournament and got 50-100 boats or more waiting to take out or launch,if everybody would learn to do it this way,there would a lot less time spent sitting in line at the ramp....
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 12:22 PM

How else do you load your boat on the trailer?? I thought yall were talking about keeping the motor running and in forward gear as someone pulls you up the ramp. With that method you don't take the time to hook up the bow strap. I do that if the trailer is a little too deep and the boat slides off my roller as I try to make my way up to the nose of the boat to hook up the strap. And I NEVER NEVER NEVER have the motor tilted all the way down to load on the trailer. That absolutely does not make sense. In that position you are pushing the nose of the boat down harder on the boards and the prop is closer to the ramp. If you trim up it lifts the nose of the boat and keeps the prop a good distance away from the ramp.
Posted By: Stikslinger

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 03:55 PM

I power load and then hook my strap. Watched by dad's fishing partner give to much gas on a steep ramp and boat slid off mid way up. Very costly mistake.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 04:31 PM

I remember when fishing was a relaxing activity. Nowadays, all of these "pros" are in such a hurry that they can't wait the extra 30 seconds that it takes to strap a boat down.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I remember when fishing was a relaxing activity. Nowadays, all of these "pros" are in such a hurry that they can't wait the extra 30 seconds that it takes to strap a boat down.

Don't really understand why you wouldn't hook the bow strap up.... I prefer to take 10 seconds to strap up the front than risk dropping a boat on the ground and going to the fiberglass shop....
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
How else do you load your boat on the trailer??

There are actually people that don't want to drive on, they will line it up and get the bow just on the bottom bunks and hook the strap. Then they will back the truck in the rest of the way, wade out and crank the boat on the trailer. Time consuming, and needless wading.

The hooking of the strap is not the biggest delay, and most people don't have much of a problem with that. When I am loading alone, I have stopped unhooking that bow strap when backing down, just because of the different depths of the ramps. I have gone a hair to far, and the boat floats up (only happened a couple of times, but causes more delays in getting out of the way). I walk by it jumping in the boat to back off the trailer anyway, one lean down and hook as I step up.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 08:04 PM

I went to St. Clair in Michigan last 2 years, and it is against the law to power load any boat.

Most of the guys I saw also floated it off the trailer too.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/02/17 10:56 PM

Nowadays all the trailers are decent drive on trailers. Back in the day, they weren't made equally. Some did a great job and some just wouldn't line your boat up properly and you'd end up wedging your boat and the front roller. Only reason I can think of people not driving on would be this.

Re: Power Loading? - 09/03/17 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
How else do you load your boat on the trailer??

There are actually people that don't want to drive on, they will line it up and get the bow just on the bottom bunks and hook the strap. Then they will back the truck in the rest of the way, wade out and crank the boat on the trailer. Time consuming, and needless wading.

The hooking of the strap is not the biggest delay, and most people don't have much of a problem with that. When I am loading alone, I have stopped unhooking that bow strap when backing down, just because of the different depths of the ramps. I have gone a hair to far, and the boat floats up (only happened a couple of times, but causes more delays in getting out of the way). I walk by it jumping in the boat to back off the trailer anyway, one lean down and hook as I step up.

When you are by yourself if you will just throw it off and get a ride all of us waiting on you would appreciate it.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Power Loading? - 09/03/17 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: WAWI

When you are by yourself if you will just throw it off and get a ride all of us waiting on you would appreciate it.

Yea, I tried that. So I'm standing on the pier asking for a ride to my boat that's floating out there. The guys said "did somebody named WAWI say you should do that" I said "yes". They said " waters fine jump on in and get to swimming" and drove off. grin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum