Texas Fishing Forum

Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018

Posted By: Mark Perry

Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 03:29 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/national...ies-tournaments
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 03:44 PM

I just read that. Wonder how that's going to fare with people. No longer win and your in classic.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 03:57 PM

Well I am out, don't have the time too take off. Was considering fishing them next year, but now I am out. Looks like they are taking the FLW Costa angle and having a championship.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 04:00 PM

I like that they added a championship.

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 04:21 PM

More driving and more diverse fisheries...people were saying BASS would not be back to the Red River. Guess not..
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 05:00 PM

Guess you definitely need to be a professional with sponsors to try now. This will take the dream away from everyday anglers who are good sticks but have responsibilities that prohibit the all in approach this now requires. It's now 5 weeks vacation required(or 3 and unpaid leave), $6000 in entry fees, and increased travel costs from Distance and extra events.

Does anyone know why they felt a change was needed? It seems the entries have been high and the results put great anglers on the Elite's.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TxBazzn
Guess you definitely need to be a professional with sponsors to try now. This will take the dream away from everyday anglers who are good sticks but have responsibilities that prohibit the all in approach this now requires. It's now 5 weeks vacation required(or 3 and unpaid leave), $6000 in entry fees, and increased travel costs from Distance and extra events.

Does anyone know why they felt a change was needed? It seems the entries have been high and the results put great anglers on the Elite's.

Blows my mind.

Why?

Stupid.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:05 PM

Yeah, I would have to agree with most of the responses on here. I am a little perplexed by the change.
I think they could've left it at 3 tournaments for 3 divisions with a championship. This is going to make it really difficult to swing for a lot of folks. Someone still has to do it and catch them though! fish
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:24 PM

I know a lot won't agree with me, but I think it's step in the right direction. There are literally thousands of tourneys and trails that cater to the "weekend" fisherman. I think the Opens should exist mainly as the pool for Elite series talent. If you want to fish them for fun, the experience, or just to see how well you fare against other great anglers from around the country, and you have the resources, more power to you.

For those wanting to "live the dream", that dream takes an "all in approach". If you don't have the resources (time, money, sponsorship) to fish the Opens, it would be near impossible to accept an Elite series invite/qualification. They could take it a step further, IMO, and implement OFF LIMITS periods.

I will probably still fish them, but just for the experience. My touring pro aspirations died when I got married and signed for a mortgage, lol.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:26 PM

I'm sure I will be in the minority too, but I don't think winning an open should let a person into the classic. Those spots should go to guys who are only in the elites.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:31 PM

They are getting roasted on their web site by 95% of the people commenting
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:41 PM

And they deserve to be... they had a winning business model and just flushed it down the toilet and eliminated 80% of their target demographic.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD
And they deserve to be... they had a winning business model and just flushed it down the toilet and eliminated 80% of their target demographic.

Meh, tons of folks complained about the previous format for various reasons, too. BASS will go on, life will go on. As with anything, people have a tendency to speak up more when they're unhappy vs happy so the majority of responses you'll see will be negative.

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 07:52 PM

I'm happy for a fourth and potential fifth event.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 08:13 PM

Change is a tough sell in the fishing markets. I think its fine and I also agree a step in the right direction. Don't think they will have shortage of people who want to fish.

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 08:16 PM

I bet they carefully considered this and will still see full fields. We shall see I guess.

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 08/31/17 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Meh, tons of folks complained about the previous format for various reasons, too. BASS will go on, life will go on. As with anything, people have a tendency to speak up more when they're unhappy vs happy so the majority of responses you'll see will be negative.

I agree with you there, no doubt. My comment was mostly directed at the feasibility aspect of going from 3 weeks vacation required to attempt to qualify to 5 weeks vacation required to attempt to qualify. I'd say average vacation time per year for most jobs is 3 weeks which fit perfect for the old model they operated under. I would say ballpark that 60-80% of the guys that currently fish the opens won't be able to do that now. They'll fill the field I'm sure but for the most part it's going to be trust fund kids, the independently wealthy, old retired guys, along with Elite pros that have for re-qualify for the Elites.

But who knows... I know it probably knocked me out from fishing them. I'm going to have to have a really awkward conversation with my boss now, lol.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 01:38 AM

BASS has been making changes geared toward keeping eatablished guys on tour for a few years now. This is just another step in that agenda. They are tinkering with Nation as well so expect future changes there.

The opens will still get their anglers but I believe overall interest in BASS will be affected. It won't be total abandonment because we still love fishing, but less involved and passionate fan base.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: TxBazzn
BASS has been making changes geared toward keeping eatablished guys on tour for a few years now. This is just another step in that agenda. They are tinkering with Nation as well so expect future changes there.

The opens will still get their anglers but I believe overall interest in BASS will be affected. It won't be total abandonment because we still love fishing, but less involved and passionate fan base.

^^^ This ^^^
Just more opportunities for the established guys and those with deep pockets. Not a bad business model if you are into making money. Only impact it has on me is I went from a one percent chance of fishing it to zero. Pretty sure BASS doesn't need to take my opinion into consideration.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
I know a lot won't agree with me, but I think it's step in the right direction. There are literally thousands of tourneys and trails that cater to the "weekend" fisherman. I think the Opens should exist mainly as the pool for Elite series talent.
Agree, qualifying for the elites should be difficult, before you had to do really well in 3 tournaments, now its 5.
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 04:41 AM

One major point that hasn't been addressed is they eliminated 2 Bassmaster Classic spots for non Tour level guys.
Posted By: LunkerXpress

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 04:59 AM

Fished the last three seasons and I'm out. The average working man, who makes up most of the field, doesn't have an extra week, maybe two, of vacation to throw into fishing. They just did the FLW Costa series a big favor.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm
One major point that hasn't been addressed is they eliminated 2 Bassmaster Classic spots for non Tour level guys.

Hate to see them continue to whittle these spots down.

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm

That's true. That was a major draw for a lot of anglers fishing the opens, I imagine a few had no intention of fishing the elites even if they qualified, but would fish the Classic if they won and open and fished all three tournaments.

I think that classic spots should go to elite anglers only, along with a few spots for the federation guys. A lot of good anglers come from there. Don't get me wrong, its neat that everyday guys had an opportunity to fish in the classic through the opens by winning one... I just always felt for the guys that fished the elites all year and missed it by a few points. In my eyes, they earned it more than a guy that won an open tournament.

I think the opens should simply be used as a qualification or the elites. I think the talent pool would have been much better had they left it at 3 events because the competition would have been stouter.

Anyway, its their decision. I can't swing 5 weeks so I'm out now. Good luck to those guys fishing it.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 02:36 PM

Was considering them for next year. I fished FLW Costa for 3 years, when they moved the changed the TX division and had 2 in OK and 1 on Rayburn and with the championship that was 4 weeks of vacation needed. So I was out when they made that move.

Now BASS has went to 4 tournaments with a championship. So now 5 weeks of vacation is needed and with the travel requirements....Because of that...I AM OUT.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/01/17 11:19 PM

It appears BASS is trying to make BASS the "true top tour" around. Not sure cutting the "average Joe" out of the mix for the opens is a good move though.

Time will tell...
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/02/17 12:19 AM

The first one they filled, 2nd did not fill and I'm sure the 3rd they won't either. So moving to 5 dang sure won't. I Have 4wks vacation and I won't fish them again next year, I have all the sources to do them just not the vacation.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/02/17 02:08 PM

BASS has chosen to make the opens more "elite" and cut out more of the average joes.
Looks like its about revenue and not the fisherman.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/02/17 02:21 PM

I bet they draw just as many anglers if not more. I might be in. But I would add a nice metal rig . Do you have to finish with the boat you start with ?

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/02/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers
I bet they draw just as many anglers if not more. I might be in. But I would add a nice metal rig . Do you have to finish with the boat you start with ?

No
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/03/17 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
It appears BASS is trying to make BASS the "true top tour" around. Not sure cutting the "average Joe" out of the mix for the opens is a good move though.

Time will tell...

No sense in keeping the dream alive for the pesky common man. That's just crazy to think that they should give a rip about them

P.S. I know I'm not good enough to compete, so it doesn't effect me at all. But it has always been neat to watch the opens, and to cheer on the "little man" at the classic. I'll keep any other comments to myself thumb
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/03/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Time will tell...

No sense in keeping the dream alive for the pesky common man. That's just crazy to think that they should give a rip about them

P.S. I know I'm not good enough to compete, so it doesn't effect me at all. But it has always been neat to watch the opens, and to cheer on the "little man" at the classic. I'll keep any other comments to myself thumb

my point exactly, the "opens" were always a good way for Joe Blow to break into the big leagues, now Joe better have a pile of cash
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Big changes to BASS Opens in 2018 - 09/03/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry
BASS has chosen to make the opens more "elite" and cut out more of the average joes.
Looks like its about revenue and not the fisherman.

+1 Average Joe can't afford what a trust fund baby can or a wealthy retired guy or a pro. They know who has the money and that's who they want. I don't think they liked the average Joe jack potting and then not accepting the invite. With this format they have a better chance of getting more money from people accepting the invite. I bet the elite field gets bigger too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum