Texas Fishing Forum

LMB with strange spots!

Posted By: uacdub

LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 04:24 PM

I caught this guy yesterday on Turtle Creek in uptown Dallas. I fish there all the time but this is by far the biggest bass I've caught of the creek.

Check out all the spots on this guy. Has anyone see this before and know what causes it?

Posted By: bigbass94

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 04:29 PM

I'm not exactly sure what causes it (birth mark, something genetic, whatever) but it's common to see. So no need to worry.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 04:31 PM

Makes for a beautiful healthy fish. Thanks for sharing a good catch.

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
I'm not exactly sure what causes it (birth mark, something genetic, whatever) but it's common to see. So no need to worry.

Ive caught several with a spot or two but nothing like this. the pattern almost makes it look like a Coy.
Posted By: buda13

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 05:32 PM

Awesome looking fish... I seem to catch those more often in real rocky areas than anywhere else. Almost always on super healthy fish too.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: uacdub
Originally Posted By: bigbass94

Ive caught several with a spot or two but nothing like this. the pattern almost makes it look like a Coy.

Yeah, I've caught multiple fish like that. I seem to catch them most often during the Winter and Spring. And like others have said, the fish that they're on are always healthy. As long as the fish seem healthy, I'm okay with it.

Nice catch btw!
Posted By: HDVS

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 05:56 PM

Protein spots. The more that there diet is based around crawfish the more u see them

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: HDVS
Protein spots. The more that there diet is based around crawfish the more u see them

Funny you should say that. I actually caught him on a Berkley Chigger Craw (Green Pumpkin). He wasn't playing around when he took the bait.
Posted By: salex

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 07:21 PM

Likely Melanosis. I've seen it many times.

I'm not familiar with protein spots on bass. As Norm would say...I'm not sure that's correct?...
Posted By: HDVS

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 07:42 PM

That's just what I have been told by a biologist friend of mine. And if u go somewhere like Louisiana when the crawfish r thick almost every bass u catch will have them. Just my 2 cents
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 07:47 PM

It's a mystery. some say it's from catch and release, some say melanosis, some say it's protein in a crayfish diet, some say parasites, some say PCB's but evidently Kevin Van Dam thinks it the sign of a healthy fish .... "KVD just answered this on the bass pro’s this morning. He said “these black spots on both sides of the bass show that this is a healthy bass in healthy waters”.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: salex
Likely Melanosis. I've seen it many times.

I'm not familiar with protein spots on bass. As Norm would say...I'm not sure that's correct?...

Caught many just like that over the years. Didn't know the name of the condition but they all seemed very healthy.

wink
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 08:41 PM

It's fish bling

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
He said “these black spots on both sides of the bass show that this is a healthy bass in healthy waters”.

Define healthy water? lol. I caught him on Turtle Creek in Dallas. The creek is designed to handle a lot of water and a TON of trash. It's always loaded with trash and debris runoff.

But there are a lot of fish in the creek so that is a sign of health (i guess).
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: LMB with strange spots! - 08/29/17 09:08 PM

I'm guessing it's a transvestite turning into a spotted bass.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum