Texas Fishing Forum

Rust and Water problems

Posted By: Nicholas Moudy

Rust and Water problems - 08/26/17 05:26 PM

My boat has a decent cover on it, and all of my compartments seem good, but everytime after it rains the carpet stays dry but my compartments get wet causing my pliers i have in there to rust and some hooks. What do i do?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/26/17 05:49 PM

Find out where the water is coming in at. Maybe reseal the cover. Are you sure the water is coming from rain causing the problem or could it be things are getting put away wet? I tried getting a semi custom cover for my boat and it fit horribly. I ended up with a $99 BPS cover and nothing inside the boat gets wet.
If it is just a little moisture problem, not really rain that is causing the problem you can get some packs made to absorb water to put in the compartments.

A cover shouldn't do a decent job. It either works or it doesn't and if it doesn't then you will start having long term issues. I also bought one of the temp carports from Harbor Freight for $99 to park under and with minimal improvements, it does a great job. Not sure if that is an option for you or not.
Posted By: Nicholas Moudy

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/27/17 12:21 AM

I just meant not a low quality one but not top of the line expensive one. I think its coming from my cooler leaving ice in it since just one compartment has condensation.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/27/17 12:44 AM

I think your problem isn't from leaking.. if your compartments seal fairly well, the problem is condensation from the Texas heat. I have to leave my front deck compartment propped open with the handle of my trolling motor or it will condense in there. Easy to find out.. leave the compartments open and see if the problem goes away

BD
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/28/17 04:05 PM

The moisture packs works good for the condensation problems. Wal-Mart sells them in a three pack and there cheap.
Posted By: Zoomer

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/29/17 10:29 PM

WHAT DEPARTMENT AT WALMART?THANKS
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/31/17 09:37 PM

There by the coat hangers, there made to be hung up in the closet. I just put them in my compartment haven't had one leak yet.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Rust and Water problems - 08/31/17 10:58 PM

Open the lids and let it air out now and then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum