Texas Fishing Forum

rod floats

Posted By: wyatt c

rod floats - 08/24/17 01:30 AM

so i learned the hard way that rods will fall out of a kayak pretty easily. looking to get some rod floats now, anybody have any experience with them? ive see the ones that wrap around the rod, i think theyre supposed to go right past the reel, but i was curious as to if they would go around the butt between the grips on a split grip rod. anybody have any experience with any particular brand of floats? do some work better than others?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: rod floats - 08/24/17 02:13 AM

I used the rod floats that you are talking about. Work fine. Doesn't take much to float a combo, if you do get something TEST IT in a pool or shallow area to make sure it does float it. Don't know of any other types. You can also just strap them to your yak.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: rod floats - 08/24/17 04:12 AM

I have been using BPS rod floats for over 20 years. When I was guiding and people used yer rods, you NEEDED something like them to protect your gear. Had 4 rods thrown in the water, but 3 with the rod floats and it worked well. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE LONGER ONES, if possible, because if you have a heavy lure, like a 1 oz weight or a Alabama rig, you need it to float yer rod. I use them on my Dobyns rods, too. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: wyatt c

Re: rod floats - 08/24/17 05:18 PM

i appreciate it! i probably wont be using anything bigger than a tx rig with a 1/2 oz weight. did you put them in the split of the grips or past the reel?
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: rod floats - 08/25/17 12:57 AM

They wrap around the rod, outside the reel. More balanced that way, too. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum