Texas Fishing Forum

Go to braid

Posted By: mossyback75

Go to braid - 08/22/17 04:19 PM

Done with straight fluoro and am trying to decide on which braid to make my go to brand. Love 832 for the first 10 uses or so and then for me it basically turns into soft, white, puffy, visible, trash. Thinking maybe power pro slick but don't know enough about it. Any recommendations or information from experience is appreciated.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 04:27 PM

Don't go with braid for everything. I have a theory that the fish can hear the braid in the water much like the sound you hear when reeling braid (kind of a whirring sound.)

Use braid for what it's supposed to be used for. And, I don't use fluro at all. To expensive, and too prone to problems. I'm a 15-17lb mono guys all the way.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 04:32 PM

I use Power Pro Super Slick a lot for mainline (I use almost all braid mainline to copoly leader set ups--except frogs straight braid)

It's widely available at most Wmarts

If you are using Super Slick to leader, I recommend just a dab of superglue on the line to line knot--the super slick coating did unravel a knot or two on me early on; but no issues since using a dab of superglue rubbed into the knot. Another option would be to use your fingernails to rub the coating off before tying the line to line knot, but I'm worried about damaging the line with this method.

SuperSlick is perfect for top and middle water column presentations including spinner baits and swimjigs. Also my preference for drop shot, neko, ned rig, shaky head, and other finesse applications. I also like it a lot on all the jerkbait and crankbait mainlines (quieter than regular braid)

I prefer regular Power Pro for mainline on Crig, Trig, jigs, wobble heads, flipping/pitching set ups, etc for it's larger thickness/abrasion resistance.

Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 04:35 PM

P-Line XTCB Teflon coated and good stuff
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
I use Power Pro Super Slick a lot for mainline (I use almost all braid mainline to copoly leader set ups--except frogs straight braid)

If you are using Super Slick to leader, I recommend just a dab of superglue on the line to line knot--the super slick coating did unravel a knot or two on me early on; but no issues since using a dab of superglue rubbed into the knot. Another option would be to use your fingernails to rub the coating off before tying the line to line knot, but I'm worried about damaging the line with this method.

SuperSlick is perfect for top and middle water column presentations including spinner baits and swimjigs. Also my preference for drop shot, neko, ned rig, shaky head, and other finesse applications. I also like it a lot on all the crankbait mainlines (quieter than regular braid)

I prefer regular Power Pro for mainline on Crig, Trig, jigs, wobble heads, flipping/pitching set ups, etc for it's larger thickness/abrasion resistance.

Good info right here. If you must go with straight braid, I'd go with Power Pro Super Slick. It's my favorite braid.

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 05:13 PM

Yeah...figured PowerPro super slick would get some mentions. Think I'm gonna try it but WOW!!!....talk about $$$$. 40 bucks for 300 yards. Guess it's about the same price as 832. Gotta pay to play it seems. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 05:19 PM

I use the 832, haven't noticed significant concerns with line wear. I like the camo pattern, but doubt it accomplishes anything other than amusing me.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BCBassCat
P-Line XTCB Teflon coated and good stuff

Strongly agree with this. Have been using this braid several months and it is the best I've used. Less noise than conventional braid, strong, no issues with knots to lure or to copolymer leader.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 06:00 PM

Stren for me.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Originally Posted By: collincountytx

SuperSlick is perfect for top and middle water column presentations including spinner baits and swimjigs. Also my preference for drop shot, neko, ned rig, shaky head, and other finesse applications. I also like it a lot on all the crankbait mainlines (quieter than regular braid)

Good info right here. If you must go with straight braid, I'd go with Power Pro Super Slick. It's my favorite braid.

I second this. I know it's expensive, but it lasts forever.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 06:16 PM

Third this also. I don't worry about the noise. Treble hooks banging against a bait, the Alabama Rig is like a wad of coat hangers coming through the water column - all things that you would think would be a turn off are not quite that. Heck, we even put rattles in baits to make noise.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Go to braid - 08/22/17 11:47 PM

All braid works great and last forever. Its supposed to be used for LINE wasnt dedigned tenique specific.. we catogarize it. I've Got a buddy who does it and catches as many or more and as big or bigger as any person I've ever fished with. Pros guides whoever. I call bs on noise, I've been in 1 situation that i thought they might be a bit line shy. But it was not somthing that was common

My vote is gama braid. I use 40 lb for most stuff and 65 hollow core for punching/flipping... ive swapped from power pro. It is inconsistant imho... samuri braid is the next best

If you tie palamar tie double pal... that said... i tie trilene and ill put mine up in a test vs ANYTHING
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 01:16 AM

I'm with Mr. Harper.. Stren is a great product. I use 30lb on everything (with a floro leader) except my rattle bait rod. Its the same size as 10lb mono.. casts great.

BD
Posted By: MillerTimeFishing

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 02:47 AM

This year, I went back to big game mono, and you know what, I have caught more, quality, fish!
And, I can afford fresh line for every tournament:)
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 02:38 PM

"Love 832 for the first 10 uses or so and then for me it basically turns into soft, white, puffy, visible, trash."

I'm certainly not disputing you, Mossyback, but this confuses me. I wonder what could possibly make all of that happen? I've been using 832 for years now in green, orange, and yellow (I like the visibility), but have never encountered any of your problems with it. I've had it soften up a little, and it does lighten up over time, but I love it. Just wondering.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 02:40 PM

"Love 832 for the first 10 uses or so and then for me it basically turns into soft, white, puffy, visible, trash."

I'm certainly not disputing you, Mossyback, but this confuses me. I wonder what could possibly make all of that happen? I've been using 832 for years now in green, orange, and yellow (I like the visibility), but have never encountered any of your problems with it. I've had it soften up a little, and it does lighten up over time, but I love it. Just wondering. (I do use Stren for most applications.)
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 03:05 PM

line is line, 50 bucks is 50 bucks bolt
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 03:10 PM

I buy the Sufix 832 when it is on sale and haven't had any issues with it in the last 3 years. I caught the big spools on sale at Cabelas a few months back and stocked up.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 03:54 PM

I use super slick, good stuff.

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: phototex

I'm certainly not disputing you, Mossyback, but this confuses me. I wonder what could possibly make all of that happen? I've been using 832 for years now in green, orange, and yellow (I like the visibility), but have never encountered any of your problems with it. I've had it soften up a little, and it does lighten up over time, but I love it. Just wondering.

I'm not sure....maybe I am too hard on it...maybe my guides are different...maybe I just got a bad batch but the line definitely loses all of its color, begins to fray, and turns so soft that it's unusable for about 10 feet or more after about 10 trips or so.
I attempt to use a sharpie to blacken the line but that doesn't cure the puffy issue. I could I guess keep cutting 10 feet of line off and be fine but I'm gonna try a new brand and see what happens.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 06:05 PM

Try sunline BX2, I dont fish braid often but this line has lasted me forever and it is on sale at tackle warehouse right now.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 07:58 PM

I went on a fishing trip of a lifetime and made close to 10,000 casts (I just made that up, but it was a bunch) fishing 12 hours a day for over a week. I caught hundreds of fish up with the largest being just over 9 lbs. I ended up fishing one rod as a primary, throwing 3/4 oz red eye shad tied to a mono leader on a 7' 6" MH moderate rod. We weren't able to take a rod arsenal so we had to settle for a few rods each.

I had never used it before but wanted some fresh braid on my reel prior to leaving for my trip and decided to spool up with Spiderwire Stealth based on a few recommendations from friends. It is super quiet in the guides and honestly I liked it better than I was expecting to so I'm going away from power pro and to stealth moving forward in the rest of my setups.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Go to braid - 08/23/17 09:12 PM

I use to use 832 on my punching rod but couldn't deal with the noise when it was coming back threw the guides, and it was also rough on my bare hand.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Go to braid - 08/24/17 09:33 PM

1- Fins Windtamer
2- 832
3- Slick 8

I bought a brand new spool of Slick 8 and it broke on me first cast. My fav is Fins Windtamer. #30 test.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy Daiwa J-Braid x8. I spooled it up on my Concept TX to try... Lets just say, after few hours of fishing, I had a blue reel with neon green coloring on top of it. The "dye" on that [censored] got all over my reel when the day was done. On top of that, wind knots were ridiculous.

I'd stick with Windtamer and 832......

Buddy caught this jack last week on #30 Windtamer. [img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._52034106335292[/img]
[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._52034106335292[/img]
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Go to braid - 08/24/17 09:52 PM

I've read so much on line choices that I now have all three, and in the big scheme, fish locators and "is today my catch'em day or not?" are the keys, not what's throwin' your lure the water.

Line doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure most of you will disagree with that sentiment. Experiences create views, and mine is that no line has worked better for me than the others.

...------
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Go to braid - 08/24/17 10:57 PM

Line may not cause increased bite frequency; but, depending on how you fish it can improve fishing efficiency, bite detection, and improve hookset quality. The line preference fishing from the bank (most leverage) will likely be different fishing from a float tube (least leverage)
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Go to braid - 08/25/17 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait
Third this also. I don't worry about the noise. Treble hooks banging against a bait, the Alabama Rig is like a wad of coat hangers coming through the water column - all things that you would think would be a turn off are not quite that. Heck, we even put rattles in baits to make noise.

There are times @ lake Fork that it makes a huge difference like when using a C-rig with braid as a main line vs. using either a co-polymer or fluorocarbon line. I used to use braid all the time as a main line for my C-rig and caught fish with that set up but switched to fluorocarbon as a main line now. I did a test because I had three guides out there tell me that they see it every day, clients using braid consistently get less bites than ones that don't. I tested the two lines and switched to fluorocarbon.

I still use braid for hollow body frogs.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Go to braid - 08/25/17 02:05 PM

Anyone every try the J Braid by Diawa
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Go to braid - 08/26/17 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
Anyone every try the J Braid by Diawa

Yep... Read my post above.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Go to braid - 08/26/17 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: FlatBack4
Don't go with braid for everything. I have a theory that the fish can hear the braid in the water much like the sound you hear when reeling braid (kind of a whirring sound.)

Use braid for what it's supposed to be used for. And, I don't use fluro at all. To expensive, and too prone to problems. I'm a 15-17lb mono guys all the way.

They can hear a Rat-l-Trap too and they bite it..lol
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Go to braid - 08/26/17 08:59 PM

Daiwa Samurai Braid and Sunline FX2 are the best ones that I've used. Can't go wrong with either of those.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Go to braid - 08/28/17 12:26 PM

I've had good luck with Sufix 832 and PP both regular and SS.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum