Texas Fishing Forum

Last Couple of trips to Sheldon!

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/21/17 10:21 PM

https://youtu.be/hWwHlIPN_9I
Sheldon was fishing hard during the day but managed enough to make a nice vid! Big fish and bonus(?) Bowfin around the last 3 minutes. I really like flipping Sheldon but a lot of the bass are running up and down the edges of the weedlines. Seem to like summer craw but dont tell anybody..

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/21/17 10:30 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that lure in the vid tag is called a jenko rip knocker. I get that question alot. Emerald shad is the color I believe
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/22/17 03:47 PM

I need to go fish Sheldon again. I miss that lake. Used to fish it 3 times a week when I worked in Crosby. 3 of my DD have came from Sheldon. Used to be a great lake. Looks like they got the grass tamed down
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/22/17 04:16 PM

I need to get back over there too, last couple of years not so good there for me at least, topwater bite was non existent. But I like it and its the best chance around here to catch a DD bar none except for maybe some private waters ( golf courses especially!!)
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/22/17 05:15 PM

Fun video, thanks! Any safety concerns at the ramp?

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/22/17 09:01 PM

Yes, they have definitely treated it. No real issues and lots of open water!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/22/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnButte
Fun video, thanks! Any safety concerns at the ramp?

None that I can see. Right at dusk the shad are REAL right there!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/22/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Kisndismis
I need to get back over there too, last couple of years not so good there for me at least, topwater bite was non existent. But I like it and its the best chance around here to catch a DD bar none except for maybe some private waters ( golf courses especially!!)

Lots of big fish in there. Hope to catch a few on Saturday as long as I have a place to park!
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 02:19 AM

been a couple times in the last cpl months
was pretty tough both times !
they have done some improvements around the ramp ----but not on the ramp !

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 02:59 AM

That's main reason I haven't been. Got rid of my little aluminum and don't know how well dropping over that ramp with my champion would be.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
I need to go fish Sheldon again. I miss that lake. Used to fish it 3 times a week when I worked in Crosby. 3 of my DD have came from Sheldon. Used to be a great lake. Looks like they got the grass tamed down

The grass is a pain on the east side hydrilla wise but not overwhelming. I don't really go over that way since I catch most of my fish way north. Swimjigs work pretty good in the grass!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 05:12 PM

That's main reason I haven't been. Got rid of my little aluminum and don't know how well dropping over that ramp with my champion would be.

My 19 has no issues and I fished with a customer from bass pro that had a 21 skeeter for a tourney there. Its definately full enough. I dont think you will have any issues. Go catch a giant!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 05:38 PM

They are still having those little tourny there?
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 05:43 PM

what's the rule for running on Sheldon......can you run the big motor or is it trolling motor only......? thanks in advance for any help.....

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: gut hooked
what's the rule for running on Sheldon......can you run the big motor or is it trolling motor only......? thanks in advance for any help.....

As I understand it, you cannot be on plane. Only idle speed. Though I think they are more worried about making a wake because of the man made islands.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/23/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BrockstaRama

As I understand it, you cannot be on plane. Only idle speed. Though I think they are more worried about making a wake because of the man made islands.

this ^^^^^^^^^

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/24/17 02:38 AM

They are still having those little tourny there?

I hadn't heard anything in a while but my buddy said the Tuesday night tourneys had a crazy amount of boats. Not sure when they stop or start. Thought they posted here.(?) We came in 2nd the last one we fished.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/24/17 01:05 PM

Most of the time it was 6-9 boats but sometimes 12 or so, nothing bigger than that though. Jacob was doing them and then Wes ran them for short while too. Both of them told me park personnel did not mind the tourney but could not allow money to change hands so it basically stopped. Not before I personally saw Wes with a 31lb bag. We fish there in the spring and then stop right when grass gets too thick to work really. Real hit or miss place with me though, I go myself and get good ones, I take someone and its dinks! Need to fish with KEvine, he and I have traded several messages in the past about it, hopefully when it cools off bud !

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/24/17 10:33 PM

Most of the time it was 6-9 boats but sometimes 12 or so, nothing bigger than that though. Jacob was doing them and then Wes ran them for short while too. Both of them told me park personnel did not mind the tourney but could not allow money to change hands so it basically stopped. Not before I personally saw Wes with a 31lb bag. We fish there in the spring and then stop right when grass gets too thick to work really. Real hit or miss place with me though, I go myself and get good ones, I take someone and its dinks! Need to fish with KEvine, he and I have traded several messages in the past about it, hopefully when it cools off bud !

I feel like they could have gift cards instead of cash and that would take care of the cash issue right? I guess I am only saying that so more people can enjoy the lake with some incentive!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/25/17 01:19 AM

im in --im boatless right now but have been picking up with friends ! i sold my boat with the promise of buying another --but guess what --- that fell through !

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/25/17 02:29 AM

Guess maybe I'll head that way next few weeks after settles from all this rain fixing to get and see if I can't get another DD out of her.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/25/17 01:21 PM

Start 'em back up then Brock, not like it was done in any offical manner anyways, Kevine, you can ride with me!!~

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/25/17 04:00 PM

Start 'em back up then Brock, not like it was done in any offical manner anyways, Kevine, you can ride with me!!~

Hmm there are so many possibilities! I dont mind taking people out either. Just bring me a monster and gas money!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/25/17 11:12 PM

im in

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/26/17 04:04 PM

Should we have a registration for co-anglers 2?

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 08/31/17 02:48 PM

Wonder how many of those DDs get washed over the spillway over there. Not like I can get over there anyway, sucks with a 3 day weekend coming up, I need to get outta the house! Had plans to saltwater fish but thats a bust too.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 04:01 AM

go fish the pond below the dam

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 01:07 PM

May drive over there today and have a look, will report back. Need a break, this storm wore me out and killed work for me for the most part this week dammit. Need something to bring me back to speed!
Posted By: JustinStokesOutdoors

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 06:10 PM

I have a 21ft ranger and have backed it in a couple times with no problem. I was a little worried my first trip though lol

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 06:25 PM

Can someone text me 713-392-7799 that can post pics? I have two shots of the ramp, there was a small bass cat trailer in parking lot and they were down by spillway so they got thru it.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 07:16 PM

Anyone see the pictures?

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 07:28 PM

Heres the pics!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/01/17 07:42 PM

So Brock you gonna trailblaze it and show me the way? Think by today some traffic will have gone in and out, only 1 trailer there when I was there.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/02/17 02:44 AM

needless to say it is full right now --
the ramp is simply built over the levy
back up and over the levy but you lose sight of the boat for a sec --get out first and make sure nobody is in the way - i almost backed over a guy launching a kayak on the ramp
you can launch a 21 footer there - 4wd is a plus but you can milk it outta there with a 2wd -its worse when there is a north wind as it tends to pile up vegetation around the ramp which ends up on the ramp causing traction problems

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/02/17 03:45 PM

Does anyone have news from the last couple of days? Ive never been a d want to hit it tomorrow

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/03/17 12:54 PM

There was some stuff in the way but I pushed it away from the launch for everyone!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/04/17 03:28 PM

There was some stuff in the way but I pushed it away from the launch for everyone!

Was it pretty busy? Place to park? Have spent the past four days mucking out houses and tearing out Sheetrock and one of the boys helping has a birthday today. Thinking about sneaking over there this evening for him.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/04/17 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: chasinbass

Was it pretty busy? Place to park? Have spent the past four days mucking out houses and tearing out Sheetrock and one of the boys helping has a birthday today. Thinking about sneaking over there this evening for him.

It was pretty open actually. I am going to try after the cold front on Friday hopefully. If it rains then the brazos will be to high to hunt my property on Sat. Dammit

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/04/17 08:30 PM

Was about 10 trailers there when I left this morning, ramp workable, just move the stuff with your boat!! Yesterday about 15 when I left.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/05/17 01:14 AM

Just trailered the boat. Fished for 90 min or so....first time.....3 dinks, but a bite is a bite.....apparently a guy in a green nitro was keeping his fish and a couple locals were agitated.....not my fight today.....

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/06/17 01:47 AM

Just trailered the boat. Fished for 90 min or so....first time.....3 dinks, but a bite is a bite.....apparently a guy in a green nitro was keeping his fish and a couple locals were agitated.....not my fight today.....

For some reason I thought it was a slot lake. I wouldnt eat anything out of there. Not even crappie. Ive seen oil slicks all over.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/07/17 12:05 AM

Orange [censored] and glow in the dark poop....nk way anyone should eat anything out of that impoundment

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/07/17 12:06 AM

My guess is he was stocking his own pond

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/08/17 04:42 AM

My guess is he was stocking his own pond
Well I'm pretty sure thats illegal now so may have to keep an eye out. Laws are there for a reason. Ill get the tags if I see it just in case. If I remember, lol. I'm usually pretty focused on fishing

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/08/17 05:07 PM

Here's one that bit a chatterbait this morning, 4.5 lbs

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/08/17 07:03 PM

Keep 'em coming for us jockeying the dang desk today!! Something to dream about before we go out in the morning!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/09/17 02:27 AM

Popped the cable on the foot pedal on the trolling motor and had to trailer it and hit gulf coast trolling motors.....they had all parts in stock so back at it tomorrow
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/09/17 11:35 PM

Went today the island is still blocking the ramp, but if you try you can launch

Did well

State park police/game warden was at ramp when I got back doing safety checks (I passed) but he did say I needed to slow down, if I went any slower I would have been moving backwards, he said whoever is in charge of the lake is seriously close to making it motor restricted to a 9 hp

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/13/17 07:07 PM

I had to move the stuff too. Need a Qwest wind to blow it over the spillway. Here are some f

rom Friday. My buddy broke his pb twice! I got noting over 2 but caught around 8 so there's that😁

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/22/17 12:23 AM

Anyone know how thr ramp looks?

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/22/17 12:52 PM

It was clear last Sat when we went, the wind pushed that pile down in front of the benches pretty much. It was 90% clear. Dinkfest again@!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/29/17 03:12 PM

Yeah that garbage is just sitting to the side now. I think there's a tree under there that is stuck on the ramp.Dumb.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/29/17 04:30 PM

N wind tough on that ramp!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/30/17 02:41 AM

gonna give luces a try sunday morn

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 09/30/17 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
gonna give luces a try sunday morn

We did well on topwater first thing in the morning not far from the luce ramp.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 10/02/17 02:12 AM

went today started slow but picked up around 1030
best went about 4.5 lbs --pitchin docks and several right next to shoreline
wacky senkos

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 10/02/17 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
went today started slow but picked up around 1030
best went about 4.5 lbs --pitchin docks and several right next to shoreline
wacky senkos

Buddy texted me with a 4 he caught on a frog. Said they were super aggressive but his rod is too limber. Maybe the top is turning on!

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 10/05/17 03:02 PM

AQ tourney this weekend took 26lbs to win this weekend I just saw. Looks like nothing big washed into L Houston from the floods! May try to get out this Sat morning but AQ individual is this weekend too so likely a lot of guys out.

Re: Last Couple of trips to Sheldon! - 10/06/17 08:30 PM

That should have been for 2 days. I was out on Saturday and caught a dozen or so. It was consistent but i had to slow way down. Once I started skipping docks I was on it! No giant but fun. I will edit the vid. Probably call it post front fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum