Texas Fishing Forum

Running Lake Tyler Question

Posted By: Gibby

Running Lake Tyler Question - 08/21/17 09:24 PM

I will be on Lake Tyler for the first time in November. Just starting to do some recon. We rented a house with a boat slip on the North end of the lake towards the back of a what looks to be called Gilley Creek. Looking at Navionics on my phone, it looks to be pretty shallow back in there. My question is, am I safe to run in and out of that creek, and is the lake in general safe to run? Are there any particular areas I should be cautious around? Any info with regard to running Lake Tyler West and even Lake Tyler East would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Running Lake Tyler Question - 08/21/17 09:30 PM

The North ends of each of the lakes has some sawed-off tree stumps probably in 5 feet to less now. Lake is clear to run, round the points and you should be fine as far as running on dry land. Idle through the channel connecting both lakes, you will see a sign marking.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Running Lake Tyler Question - 08/22/17 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: InTheClear
The North ends of each of the lakes has some sawed-off tree stumps probably in 5 feet to less now. Lake is clear to run, round the points and you should be fine as far as running on dry land. Idle through the channel connecting both lakes, you will see a sign marking.

This will do
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Running Lake Tyler Question - 08/22/17 03:38 PM

Captained a high school team in the State championship there a couple of Mays ago and Lake Tyler won. Few decent fish we caught were on laydowns on/near points or on grass lines, not sure that will help you in November though.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Running Lake Tyler Question - 08/22/17 04:13 PM

You have to almost try to hit any hazards in Lake Tyler. Both main lakes are wide open except for a large underwater island a little halfway up from the dam on the East Lake. It is marked with buoys all around. There is also a small, well marked hump just out from Lake Tyler Marina (Concession One) to the right of the point on your left that pretty much marks the opening to the main lake.

Other than that, operate as you pretty much would on any lake you don't know. Swing a little wide around points, don't run through areas with buoys all around them, and get off plane when you get into shallow water (5 feet or less) in the backs of creeks.
Posted By: Gibby

Re: Running Lake Tyler Question - 08/22/17 08:22 PM

Good deal. I appreciate the info and tips.

Thanks,
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum