Texas Fishing Forum

Best bait for bass in August?

Posted By: birdman02

Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 02:16 AM

What is a good bait to use for largemouth bass in August in the DFW area of Texas
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 02:24 AM

welcome To the Forum. You will get lots of answers if you hang around long enough. I am finishing an article that I have written on Chasing Crayfish. I should be finished with it by the end of the week and have it posted. It will be worth you time to read it as everything is fixing to break loose with the new hatch; so I feel matching what should be happening between now and the end of Nov. in order to produce some really nice Bass.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 02:30 AM

Dynamite
Posted By: mudd

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 03:00 AM

Hula popper C-rigged
Posted By: chilli31

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 03:17 AM

Fluke watermelon red with spike it tail
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 04:55 AM

It's about to be my favorite time of the year for throwing a football jig. I love throwing them late summer through early winter. Fish really key in on crawfish during the fall.
Posted By: C.Seymour

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: mudd
Hula popper C-rigged

hmmm never thought of that.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: mudd
Hula popper C-rigged

I was thinking a jitterbug or buzz bait C-rigged
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 01:06 PM

Lots of good baits to use. The BEST one is the one they are biting that day.

I would start with the tried & true stuff first depending on the water depth you are targeting. If early in the morning or late in the day around shallow cover I would try a small popper type bait like a Yellow Magic or Zell Pop. If they won't hit a surface lure try a weightless Zoom Super Fluke or Yum Dinger. Watermelon red flake is very hard to beat no matter what lake you are on. If you are fishing a little deeper try a Zoom Baby Brush Hog or Speed Craw, same colors.

If you are probing deeper water go to a Carolina rigged bait. Start with a Zoom Centipede or Fluke or Baby Brush Hog.

If you find active fish, try a crankbait in a sexy shad pattern. A jig with a soft plastic trailer will sometimes work well too but I am thinking you may be just starting off so you may want to gain confidence in some other baits before you move onto a jig.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 01:28 PM

If you would be more specific about which lake or lakes you would get better answers. Techniques and lures vary from lake to lake.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 04:32 PM

C rig baby brush hog,football jig and t rig 10" worms
Posted By: birdman02

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 07:55 PM

So to specify I fish a little pond 2 miles from my house. The water's about 10 foot deep on bottom. Is a t rig pumpkin colored worm good for that?
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 08:15 PM

Try a ned rig.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: birdman02
So to specify I fish a little pond 2 miles from my house. The water's about 10 foot deep on bottom. Is a t rig pumpkin colored worm good for that?

It will have it's day; but not my choice.
I like the 3" small Swimbaits. They like several color choices. Be ready to change them out frequently. I also have the H & H Spinner to attach that head on if they want the small spinner on the rig. Then next time they will kill the Blade Jig in the small size with just the straight double tail. The more you visit the small pond the less you will catch. They learn pretty fast. Weather changes and stained water help with visiting the pond to keep catching. So don't expect great things at day break on a sunny day with clear water every time you go. Go on over cast, windy, rainy, stained water and stormy days to change things up as much as possible.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 08:40 PM

Zara spook early
Dd22 and big worm after top water bite is over.
If there is grass on the lake flipping the matted grass when the sun is high with a heavy jig or heavy weighted creature bait.

My favorite depth is between 12 and 20 foot but there are always shallow fish and usually deeper fish.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best bait for bass in August? - 08/21/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Originally Posted By: birdman02

It will have it's day; but not my choice.
I like the 3" small Swimbaits. They like several color choices. Be ready to change them out frequently. I also have the H & H Spinner to attach that head on if they want the small spinner on the rig. Then next time they will kill the Blade Jig in the small size with just the straight double tail. The more you visit the small pond the less you will catch. They learn pretty fast. Weather changes and stained water help with visiting the pond to keep catching. So don't expect great things at day break on a sunny day with clear water every time you go. Go on over cast, windy, rainy, stained water and stormy days to change things up as much as possible.

Pretty much spot on here. If you're really into fishing might consider buying a kayak or bass buster type boat and fish some of the area lakes and rivers. Ponds are ok for awhile but like Mr. Harper said they learn pretty fast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum