Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Jigs

Posted By: Dmurdock6

Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 06:12 PM

I want to fish with a jig but I have no confidence in throwing them whatsoever. What are some tips or types of jigs yall like to throw and around what kind of structure?
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 06:42 PM

Santone swim jig w 4 inch cafiene shad trailer.
Big jig with rage craw around wood. Go in a creek and pitch it several times on every piece of wood cover you find. Multiple times to the same target. It agitates them. My first big jig fish was on Whitney years ago. I was talking to a guy on the bank and pitching in the same tree for twenty minutes while we were visiting, then I caught a 7 3/4. Said goodbye and moseyed up to the next tree. After another 20 minutes I had 7 1/4. I was the same way for years, until I got bit. Never leave the ramp without both tied on.
Good luck. JD
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 06:52 PM

I'm a Strike King fan. Either black & blue or black & red are my go to colors. Whatever you pick, I would recommend trimming the skirt down.

Jigs are not a bait that you can expect to get a quick bite on. It usually takes a lot of time and patience, especially when you're first starting out with them. That being said, they can be a very consistent pattern for some very big fish when you get comfortable with them.
Posted By: bo tbo

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 06:55 PM

I like the black and blue with a craw trailer. I use them alot around docks and trees.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 07:17 PM

Don't be afraid to up your trailer profile to a full size bait. Big brush hog, baby brush hog, structure bug, beaver ext.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 09:42 PM

Football jig: I like to throw this around deep water structure and cover, be it a brush pile or a patch of rocks. This particular jig excels in rocky areas.

Casting jig: Great for offshore cover, like brush piles and fish attractors. Similar to a football jig.

Flipping jig: I throw this anywhere shallow, be it docks, grass, timber, shoreline cover, etc..

Swim jig: This is great over submerged grass or in lily pads. It works well any place a flipping jig works.

Vibrating jig: Same thing as a swim jig, just with a blade.
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 10:11 PM

If your trying to get bit. Get a 5/16 santone finesse jig in river bream and put a zoom wat. Red creepy crawler (smaller profile twin tail grub)
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 10:12 PM

Can flip some stuff with it also. I normally throw it on 14 or 17lb floro depending where I'm gonna throw it.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/15/17 11:49 PM

Go to DirtyJigs website and go nuts. That brand is really all you need in the jig world.
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 01:18 AM

My .02

Deeper timber / cover I like to drag a Santone M series 1/2 - 3/4oz. Favorite colors are PB&J and bull frog something. I seem to hang that head style up far less than others.

Deep points, ledges, etc, V&M 3/4 football jig. Favorite color is sprayed grass.

Flipping shallow cover I like 3/8 - 1/2 oz hackney flipping jigs in natural colors.

Santone makes my favorite swim jigs.

Those particular brands, colors, sizes, and in the situations mentioned are what I have confidence in. Confidence is the biggest factor with jigs.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Zach Starling
If your trying to get bit. Get a 5/16 santone finesse jig in river bream and put a zoom wat. Red creepy crawler (smaller profile twin tail grub)

This!
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 03:23 AM

Finesse jigs with zoom speed craw trailer to get you started. Pitching and flipping around docks and cover will get you bit. Best way to start. Once you gain confidence move to bigger jigs for bigger bites and football for offshore.
Posted By: chilli31

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 04:50 AM

Fish nothing but a jig to condition yourself
I fished with a jig for a whole year before I felt confident with that bait
But when you're you better hang on to that rod or a big ole fish will rip it out of your hands
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 12:19 PM

Santone or Viper jigs with a Yamamoto Flappin' Hog! banana
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 01:02 PM

All very good jigs and suggestions above

Getting comfortable with jigs, you will lose plenty getting them wedged and hook setting into cover and structure.

I'd get some arkie black and blue and some Hart tackle green/red jigs from wmart (both of these are decent jigs for at or under $2 per jig.) Once you develop confidence and the feel of fishing a jig; then purchase the nicer more expensive options

Using high vis braid main line to a 5ft leader of 15-20lb red label will help you detect bites and develop the feel quicker

Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 02:21 PM

Flip , Flip and Flip . Use the equipment that YOU are comfortable and confident with .
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 06:03 PM

Santone, Viper XP and V & M are my favorite brands of jigs.

Black/blue or black/blue/purple
Green pumpkin/orange, green pumpkin/blue or green pumpkin/purple
Peanut butter N Jelly

Those are the colors I use most.

Zoom speed craw
Grande bass craw
Xcite craw
V & M craw
Netbait baby paca craw
Strike rage craw

Those are the trailers I like best.

Fish the finesse jig and the pitching jig like you would a Tx.rig and fish a football head jig like you would a Carolina rig.

Watch your line because sometimes they will pick it up and you won't feel anything but your line will be moving. That is usually a good fish. The smaller ones still thump it pretty good.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 07:11 PM

3/8th ounce black and blue jig on flouro... and take everything else out, have lots of jigs and chunks... go play with it. Swim it, drag it hop it skip it flip it... you'll get bit
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/16/17 07:19 PM

I love V&M swim jigs. I catch big fish on them. 3/8 oz is a good all around weight with a keitech or rage swimmer or similar trailer (around 3" long). I usually am using a shad color pattern most of the time. Sometimes bluegill and every now and then black and blue.

Strike King skipping jig, hack attack structure jig and football jigs are also ones I use for flipping, brush piles, rocks, docks, tree shade, etc. 1/4 oz-1/2 oz. 3/4 oz when deep water and wind call for it.

Picked up a couple mop jigs about a week ago but haven't used them much yet.
Posted By: Yankee Fool

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/18/17 02:29 AM

Sometimes they want a jig and anything you throw will work...irrespective of trimming skirt or weight or whatever. But if you're forcing a jib bite, my confidence is the G Man Ballin out jig. It's really a finesse jig. Gerald Swindle fishes it 3/365.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fishing Jigs - 08/18/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Dmurdock6
I want to fish with a jig but I have no confidence in throwing them whatsoever. What are some tips or types of jigs yall like to throw and around what kind of structure?

Do this. The next time you are on a good bite on a T-rig, pull out a jig that is similar in color to the soft plastic you are catching them on. There are a ton of good jigs on the market now. A good rule of thumb is 3/8 oz in shallow water 4-8 feet. In 8-15' I would use 1/2 oz.

The Booyah A-Jig is a good inexpensive jig and it has a rattle. It is pretty snag resistant and has a good stout hook. I like watermelon-pumpkin color with a WM red flake trailer. Don't overthink it. A jig will get a bigger bite normally than a T-rig. Try it out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum