Texas Fishing Forum

Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is..

Posted By: SourTemplePilot

Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 01:15 AM

Folks, caught some nice Beautiful Bass in this video. However, I'm not sure about what I caught at the end.

Can you help me identify, please? Go to 9:40 to see the fish. I'll put a time stamp in my description so you can just click on that if you don't have time to watch in entirety. Thank you.

Good fishing to you!
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 01:24 AM

Nice vid. You caught a gaspergou.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 01:42 AM

they were called Bugle Mouth Bass back home in Alabama.. looks like a drum to me.
Posted By: elkhartdom

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 04:48 AM

drum
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 04:53 AM

Yep, all the above, a freshwater drum. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 12:08 PM

Drum
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 12:46 PM

Drum, they have broken my heart many times hammer
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 12:57 PM

That fish has a rock in his head.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 02:17 PM

freshwater drum....real good eating
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk

that is not an understatement
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/13/17 11:06 PM

Nice!
Posted By: SourTemplePilot

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/14/17 01:42 AM

Man, Thad Rains, Ken A. and all these other fine sticks dropping in here. Thx for the feedback. Much appreciated! Now I've become obsessed with Drum. banana
Posted By: Texjef84

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/14/17 02:24 AM

I've had them choke a crankbait shallow or a brush hog in 20' of water. It's a good fight but a disappointment when you realize what you have. This year we have caught catfish, carp and drum on bass baits
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/14/17 03:06 AM

Wait until you catch a Grinnell, THOSE things fight like big bass and THEY have teeth. Only caught one in a T, but several others while fun fishing. Whoops, forgot my partner caught one about 5 lbs throwing a trap one day in a T we were fishing. So, 2 during Ts. NOT FUN. LOL. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: bc4393

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/15/17 07:20 PM

Awww he's cute for a baby. Here's a 13 that grabbed a square bill. smile Fun fish. I thought I had an alligator or something.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/15/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk

You ain't a lyin!!!!!!!! Last one I caught in a tourney was a few years ago on Toledo Bend. Had 10 min before weighin and we pulled up on some docks with a grass line just outside of Fin and Feather. Last ditch effort to cull anything. I was co-angler in Ram Open (ABA) series with three fish for 7-8lbs. Made a long cast with a bladed swim jig on the outside grass line. About 3 cranks into my retrieve, bait stops and rod loads up!!!!! I set the hook and the fish headed for deep water. Rod was all bowed up and drag pulling on my revo. I loosened it up a bit to make sure the line didn't break. 4-5 seconds in the fight, I'm calling for the net! Boater hurries back with the net, seemed like the fight lasted forever making a couple different runs. Finally got the fish coming to the boat and as I lifted the boater scooped. All i could see was silver and white! My heart sank. I'm not sure who was more disappointed, me or the boater! It was hooked inside the mouth, and fished weighed easily over 7lbs. We finally laughed about it as we headed back to the ramp. Definitely got my heart rate up!! Coach
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Savaged by 8 Pound Mystery Fish. Not sure what it is.. - 08/16/17 07:57 PM

Strong, aren't they? Back in January of 1975, I caught one on a white Bomber with 20# Stren in Lake Possum Kingdom. Thought for a while it was a big catfish, but it fought like a bass. I really thought I had hooked a new state record bass. The drum weighed over 40 pounds. I released it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum