Texas Fishing Forum

Advice needed

Posted By: CougarFTD

Advice needed - 08/10/17 08:08 PM

I have gone from bay boats to bass boat to bay boats back to bass boat!!! Can't seem to make up my mind. I have used Simrad, Humminbird and now lowrance electronics. I just installed a new Ultrex w/ link on my new to me 17 ranger Z521c. I have HDS 12 at dash and bow, just installed a total scan transducer on Ultrex. I really liked having the go to waypoint and follow contour on my bay boat and want that functionality on the ranger. I know there is a debate as to the quality of the DI/SI when it comes to Lowrance vs. Humminbird, should I just get a basic bird for mapping that gives me follow contour functionality or go with a bigger unit and install another transducer to get DI from the bird??? If I go with the bigger bird where should I put the transducer??
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Advice needed - 08/10/17 08:19 PM

I would just go with a smaller GPS/Sonar unit. It doesnt sound like you need more DI. I believe a 7" G2N would be the smallest you could get and still have link capabilities but you would need to verify that before buying, it may be that only the 9 and up have link capabilities. And I would think the transducer would be as close to your fishing spot on the boat as possible otherwise you could be the length of your boat off the spot you are telling the Ultrex to go to which was the reasons for buying the HB unit in the first place.
Posted By: stxrippinlips1

Re: Advice needed - 08/10/17 08:30 PM

I think I would go with a helix 12 g2n di for the front, and it will link with the ultrex! You knock out 2 birds with one stone. I have had both lowrance and birds, and the di and si on the birds imo are way better than lowrance. I have a 12 mega on my console and have to say it is amazing great clarity and detail.
Posted By: CougarFTD

Re: Advice needed - 08/10/17 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies! Anyone using Lowrance and Bird up front?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Advice needed - 08/11/17 12:09 AM

If you have the money you could go with a helix 12 and the 360.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum