Texas Fishing Forum

Conroe

Posted By: MBoehm1729

Conroe - 08/06/17 05:55 AM

Has anyone else that fishes Conroe on a regular basis been struggling lately? I've been out four times this past week and only managed one fish. I can usually manage to catch a few when I go but this past week has been a beating. I've fished from the bulkhead to 25 feet and can't buy a bite. Been out there early and tried late afternoon but it doesn't seem to matter what time of day. If anyone is willing to give a hint on where or what to use it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried everything I can think of that I feel would get a bite and it's resulted in hours of frustration. The really bad part is I've graphed fish but can't get them to bite.
Posted By: C130

Re: Conroe - 08/06/17 03:02 PM

My son and I have had the same issue. The last 2-3 weeks have been frustrating. We've fished from daylight, midday, to afternoon and evening. Crankbaits, Carolina rigs, drop shot, can't catch much of anything. We've typically been fishing from 15-20 feet mostly, up to 25 occasionally.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Conroe - 08/06/17 09:21 PM

August is always one of the toughest 3 months on Conroe. The tournament weights show that. The thermocline develops in early July. Very low oxygen below that so they aren't living deep. They are primarily above the thermocline which usually is around 15ft. You can see it on a depth finder with the right settings. They also suspend above structure like brush piles. Tough to get a bite. Tougher to get a consistent bite. Best is usually concentrating inside about 12 ft. When it's tough finesse tactics can be a help. You can still can get some good ones if you are in the right place at the right time. You see the Sunday tournament usually has one decent stringer and most others struggle.

It will be better in October. September can be tough as well.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Conroe - 08/06/17 09:55 PM

Got one solid bite today, missed one on topwater early in the morning. I caught this one in 3 ft of water. Weighed 6.1 lbs. Its been a tough few weeks.

Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Conroe - 08/06/17 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
August is always one of the toughest 3 months on Conroe. The tournament weights show that. The thermocline develops in early July. Very low oxygen below that so they aren't living deep. They are primarily above the thermocline which usually is around 15ft. You can see it on a depth finder with the right settings. They also suspend above structure like brush piles. Tough to get a bite. Tougher to get a consistent bite. Best is usually concentrating inside about 12 ft. When it's tough finesse tactics can be a help. You can still can get some good ones if you are in the right place at the right time. You see the Sunday tournament usually has one decent stringer and most others struggle.

It will be better in October. September can be tough as well.
Yep, if you look at the tournament weights you can tell it's tough, there's some very good sticks in those tournaments, August traditionally suks though.
Posted By: Matt Newsom

Re: Conroe - 08/07/17 01:49 PM

I just moved here 3 weeks ago and its been tough. Have fished it a bunch of times and we did catch one nice 7 pounder but other than that its been bust. I have thrown everything but the kitchen sink and cant get much luck. On top of that its been pretty rough fishing the main lake sometimes so rough it is tough to fish without falling out of the boat.

Matt
Posted By: MBoehm1729

Re: Conroe - 08/07/17 04:27 PM

Good to hear I'm not the only one struggling. I appreciate the suggestions Fishspanker and will look for the thermocline.
Posted By: RHP

Re: Conroe - 08/07/17 08:26 PM

No, I've been struggling, too. Consequently I've abandoned my usual spots and tried a lot of different spots with no luck. Deep, shallow, creek mouths, structure...nada. I did speak a guy yesterday (Sun) who was fishing in our slough who said he'd been skunked all day.

It will get better.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Conroe - 08/07/17 08:46 PM

NFIC
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Conroe - 08/12/17 08:51 AM

As stated above they are above the thermocline. I went out Wednesday for a few hours and only caught 2 and went out Thursday and fished in the 4-7ft range and caught 7 with a 3.5 being the biggest. Nothing of any size to speak of but they are there.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Conroe - 08/12/17 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt Newsom
I just moved here 3 weeks ago and its been tough. Have fished it a bunch of times and we did catch one nice 7 pounder but other than that its been bust. I have thrown everything but the kitchen sink and cant get much luck. On top of that its been pretty rough fishing the main lake sometimes so rough it is tough to fish without falling out of the boat.

Matt

Might as well stay off the water after 11a.m. As I'm sure you have already noticed Conroe gets over crowded this time of year with idiots and drunks.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum