Texas Fishing Forum

Kistler rod guides?

Posted By: WeaponOfBassDestruction

Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 05:57 PM

I noticed Kistler has switched from fuji k guides on the helium 3 to kigan coalite guides on the 2017 model and also on almost all of their other models. This was pretty disappointing to me as I am a big fan of the k-guides. Did they do this to save money? Or does anyone know? Are the kigan guides they are now using of good quality? I am seeing many rods below the heliums price of $259 using the same guides so it seems to me that it was just a way to cut cost but hopefully I'm wrong and they are good.
Posted By: TX Grizzly

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 06:55 PM

i dont think it was a cost savings step as the Kigan guides look to be priced comparable to fuji and a lot of builders say good things about Kigan...

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 07:09 PM

It's just strange to me that they would use the same exact guides on their high end rods as they use on their lower end rods like the argon series. I called Kistler an hour ago and spoke with Trey he said they made the switch because the guides were lighter and he believed they are just as good as fuji.
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 07:59 PM

I just ordered a new Helium 3 medium spinning rod from Kistler, (as they are running a substantial discount on all rods right now) it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have an older Helium 3 casting rod that does have the Fuji guides, which I do like a lot. I will be finding out how i like them this weekend.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 08:34 PM

I have 2 heliums that I bought this year and 4 Kistlers from previous years (Heliums & Z-Bone), I have not been disappointed in the new rods at all. It may be too early to tell, but rods are still fantastic.

Not sure I notice any weight change either though but we are probably talking fractions of ounces which are only noticeable in marketing material.
Posted By: slshaneus

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 09:15 PM

nothing kistler does is to save money. trey wants to put out the best product he can.
Posted By: mwbmod74

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 09:37 PM

I called and talked to the guys at Kistler a while back, and I asked this very question on why the new Heliums changed eyes, and the guy told me that some of the Pro guys thought that the eyes were limiting casting distance.. Not sure who I spoke with at Kistler, but the guy was super nice and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I got some older ones and now some new ones, I dont see a difference in casting or anything else other than I liked the way the older guides looked better...
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 10:18 PM

They can't be any worse. All I do is take kistler rods to shop for guide replacement and inserts. It's all the time. I love the rods, I have a bunch and have no plans of changing but the guides are dooky.

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike
I just ordered a new Helium 3 medium spinning rod from Kistler, (as they are running a substantial discount on all rods right now) it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have an older Helium 3 casting rod that does have the Fuji guides, which I do like a lot. I will be finding out how i like them this weekend.

Yeah I ordered a few heliums yesterday and I'm supposed to receive them tomorrow I hope I'm not disappointed when they arrive

Re: Kistler rod guides? - 07/27/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: mwbmod74
I called and talked to the guys at Kistler a while back, and I asked this very question on why the new Heliums changed eyes, and the guy told me that some of the Pro guys thought that the eyes were limiting casting distance.. Not sure who I spoke with at Kistler, but the guy was super nice and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. I got some older ones and now some new ones, I dont see a difference in casting or anything else other than I liked the way the older guides looked better...

Yeah to me the k guides look more sturdy and just look nicer overall. I'll find out soon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum