Texas Fishing Forum

Zara Spook?

Posted By: TrailHand

Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 03:48 PM

There's already a thread on the Whopper Plopper, and that got me to thinking about my Zara Chug'N spook 5 incher. I've thrown that sucker at everything including the fish counter at Kroger and i can't seem to feed it to anything. Funny enough I bought a few of 'em after ol' Jimmy Houston was tearing 'em up on one of his episodes at http://jhl.tv and thought, Hey I need one of those!

Well it's turned into my tacklebox's biggest turd lollipop. Are any of you guys using it and getting success?
Posted By: high planes drifter

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 04:22 PM

I absolutely love fishing a Zara Spook. But I only use it around docks and grass. And I fish it with slow twitches and in the early morning.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 04:42 PM

I haven't tried the chugger Spook but how bad can it be?
You just need the right time / place for it.
Don't give too much credit to an animal with a pea sized brain.

and, if you still just hate it send it on over to me.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 05:31 PM

I fish a regular Spook that I customize. Don't see why this wouldn't help using the chugger also. Real heavy grass is the key.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9017115/#9017115
Posted By: 361V

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 06:02 PM

Never seen the Spook you are describing but it actually sounds like a large Chug Bug.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Never seen the Spook you are describing but it actually sounds like a large Chug Bug.

Called Chug'n Spook. Walk it like a regular spook. It creates more disturbance. I've done okay on it. Unless I am around big fish I usually stick with a smaller spook.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Heddon_Chugn_Spook/descpage-HCS.html

Posted By: the skipper

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 08:21 PM

Don't think I've caught much in mine either but they work good. Sure do look like they should get bit. I probably haven't thrown it in the right spots yet
Posted By: stxrippinlips1

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 08:31 PM

Great topwater bait!
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 08:40 PM

Try a yo zuri top in clear....doubled anything from heddon...new stuff coming on TW...
Posted By: Kage

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan
I haven't tried the chugger Spook but how bad can it be?
You just need the right time / place for it.
Don't give too much credit to an animal with a pea sized brain.

and, if you still just hate it send it on over to me.

An animal with a pea sized brain that continues to get the best of a lot of us anglers time and time again, but reeltexan is right...in the right situation and conditions I'm sure you could flat out catch em. With a little bit of chop on the water the Chuggin Spook should out fish a regular Spook. Lately I've been doing better on the Paycheck Baits (The One) Pencil Popper and the Whopper Plopper. Just fish the conditions instead of trying to force feed them the bait you want to catch them on.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Barn
Originally Posted By: 361V

Called Chug'n Spook. Walk it like a regular spook. It creates more disturbance. I've done okay on it. Unless I am around big fish I usually stick with a smaller spook.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Heddon_Chugn_Spook/descpage-HCS.html

361V, you would be correct. The ChugN Spook is essentially a functional peer to the Storm Big Bug but without the tapered body. I fished the Big Bug very successfully during my years in Florida, as well as the classic Spook - particularly in open water situations. The Big Bug made more commotion that I felt was advantageous when the water was disturbed by wind. I've had 50 fish days on a Spook in open water, and nearly that many on a Big Bug as well. If I think a topwater will work, both are confidence baits for me.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/22/17 09:40 PM

Good striper lure also
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/23/17 11:19 AM

They were hitting it pretty good yesterday on Joe Pool about 7:30 am, open water about 25 feet deep. They were small though, but it was fun.
Posted By: Sunbae

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/24/17 09:38 AM

I've moved on to stupidly expensive Japanese spooks (Megabass Giant Dogs and LC Sammys are great), but I remember the Zara Spooks and Chug'n Spook Jr.s fondly. I've had the best luck fishing them early in the morning or later in the evening. I prefer them on cloudy days with light chop on the water. Go over to a pond in the morning or afternoon to build up some confidence. Work them slow and steady, with long pauses around grasslines or structure. I honestly don't get bit too much fishing them quickly or erratically.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Zara Spook? - 07/24/17 04:37 PM

Zara spook is a worthless bait. Lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum