Texas Fishing Forum

Huk Clothing

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 12:18 AM

Is this stuff worth it? I'd like to get some new summer clothes for fishing. If I wear under armor I bake in that stuff...
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 12:35 AM

I bought Magellan at Academy and it seems to do the job, sometimes you pay extra for the name but then again I shop Walmart too.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 12:55 AM

Simms if by far the best sun protecting clothing I've ever worn. I own Huk, Columbia, Guidewear, and I always grab my Simms shirts first. They're a little more expensive, but very much worth it.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:12 AM

I just ordered a HUK shirt. Hopefully it will help. Fishing in a lightweight cotton long sleeve right now so it should be better than that LOL
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:13 AM

Too expensive! I just buy Magellan at Academy!
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:25 AM

HUK took a page out of the Yeti marketing plan when they introduced their product. Price it so high that some folks just have to have it and put your name and logo all over it in big letters. Sell like hot cakes.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:28 AM

You can find some great deals fairly often on Huk apparel. I don't own much but the few items I have seem to be of good quality and work well. You can score shirts etc fairly cheap at some sales.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:45 AM

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-super-tamiami-short-sleeve-shirt-FM7189.html, works for me in a 115 heat index.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:02 AM

I prefer the Columbia PFG products. The Huk stuff is nice quality but everything seems to run smaller/tighter than other brands. Including the neck/face gaiters.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:04 AM

All I wear now is Huk. Love it. Definitely worth the money. But it's not much more than other brands.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:11 AM

I love my Huk shirt but I've found that on really hot days, my Columbia Omni Freeze is much cooler. Columbia is a little cheaper too if I remember correctly.
Posted By: north-toledo09

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:34 AM

the new Huk Ice is awesome way cooler than anything they have had thus far the quality of everything they offer is great!
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:44 AM

the ICE is the one to get.. it's cooler. Kinda like Columbia's Omni-freeze shirts.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:45 AM

I've been wearing a long sleeve Columbia cool shirt. It's about a year old. It seemed like it was better when new. Now it just provides share but doesn't seem to cool as well.

I just bought a HUK hoodie shirt. It was expensive but I like the meeting under the sleeves and in the back. I figured the hood would help shade the ears and neck. Haven't gotten to try it out yet. If it cools them I am ok with $60 because I'll only own one.
Posted By: BriDroid

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 03:06 AM

Try them on if you can! I normally wear an XXL tshirt. I had a bunch of Bass Pro gift cards and tried on tons of long sleev sun shirts. The Columbia XL fit me like a glove. The Huks had way to big head holes which would have burned my neck.

Moral to the story, I was shocked how different they fit from cotton tshirts. Try them on if you can!
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 03:14 AM

I love my Magellan Long Sleeves from academy... price is right and they feel great. Just can't afford to get a bunch of those expensive shirts lol

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 03:26 AM

I've heard about the Huk ice shirts, I'd like one with the hood, then just wear my boonie hat
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I've been wearing a long sleeve Columbia cool shirt. It's about a year old. It seemed like it was better when new. Now it just provides share but doesn't seem to cool as well...

When you wash any of the breathable or cooling technical clothing items, be sure to keep ANY fabric softener product away from them. NEVER add fabric softener to the washer, and if you do put them in a dryer at all (I don't), never use a fabric softener product in the dryer either (sheet or other). Fabric softener is sticky/gummy and will block the pores of the material that allow it to breathe, and will interfere with the wicking/evaporation effect that makes the material desirable in the first place. This is per every manufacturer I've ever checked on the care recommendations.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 04:16 AM

I'm sure that is what happened then. I'll have to tell my wife
Posted By: tugboattim

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 04:43 AM

I like the HUK hooded shirts. It sure helps with the sun on the neck and ears. I would suggest you give them a try you will like it.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 09:50 AM

I just bought a long sleeve Huk shirt on clearance at dsg for 12 bucks.
Posted By: Drummond1

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 11:54 AM

I like the HUK shirts, but the HUK shorts are the best I have ever had... the original Next Level shorts... expensive but worth the money in my opinion.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 11:58 AM

Sounds like I'm going to bass pro or Dicks to get some new Huk gear.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan

You'll typically pay full-list price there. Academy online recently had the $40 long-sleeve t-shirt for $15 in some colors. They'll match the online price in the store typically. Shopping via Google search will save you some $ also. I haven't tried the ICE line yet, but the prices are anything BUT cool. I'm betting Huk "ICE" is similar to the Cabela's Guidewear "Coolcore Technology" that can often be found on sale or under some promotion.

Anyone ever notice that Huk never states a UPF number like many other suppliers do? They just say their material has "SPF/UPF to keep you protected".
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:45 PM

Just got my HUK shirt wore it this weekend I loved it and is way better than my PFG shirts
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:52 PM

I recently got my first HUK long sleeved top as part of a promotion from Daiwa. It is a nice shirt, but if it cost me more than $30.00 I think I will stick with Columbia or Magellan. I simply can't see the difference in quality to justify twice the price. I got this HUK from Daiwa for $5.00 with purchase of a new reel, but I only own Daiwa so it was a win win for me.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

You'll typically pay full-list price there. Academy online recently had the $40 long-sleeve t-shirt for $15 in some colors. They'll match the online price in the store typically. Shopping via Google search will save you some $ also. I haven't tried the ICE line yet, but the prices are anything BUT cool. I'm betting Huk "ICE" is similar to the Cabela's Guidewear "Coolcore Technology" that can often be found on sale or under some promotion.

Anyone ever notice that Huk never states a UPF number like many other suppliers do? They just say their material has "SPF/UPF to keep you protected".

SPF info is listed on tags. Dicks has Huk stuff on sale all of the time. It's where I bought mine.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 02:01 PM

According to my farmers tan every shirt I have ever worn must be 100 percent SPF / upf whatever you call it. I'm not paying for that [censored]. Magellan or a tshirt for me. Call me a cheap arse see if I mind.
Posted By: Space

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Barn
I prefer the Columbia PFG products. The Huk stuff is nice quality but everything seems to run smaller/tighter than other brands. Including the neck/face gaiters.

This true. I wear xl had to get xxl which is on the baggy side. It does work well.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 04:08 PM

I love my Huk stuff. I love how the material is very light and breathable, but yet retains durability and sun protection. To me it's worth the money.
Posted By: RickS

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 04:13 PM

I'm not impressed with Huk. Great looking but I'm hot in mine. Was expecting more for the price.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 04:39 PM

HUK is overpriced & overhyped, IMO. I like the comparable Columbia PFG offerings.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 04:54 PM

Dicks was also selling a Field and Stream line of shirts a while back, they are pretty nice--I got a grey and a blue one for $20 each. They have a longer sleeve and a thumb hole in the cuff allowing you to cover the back of your hands. They are very cool and have about all the features you'll find in the higher priced brands. BUT my HUKs are very nice!!

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fie...fsvrshdtchtaptb
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 05:32 PM

I bought a couple of the HUK Kryptek long sleeve shirts on clearance for $19 bucks, I liked them okay! I decided I would try some cheaper brands to compare. Bought some Magellan Catch & Release short sleeve t-shirts with the Mag Chill technology for $9.74 at Academy and some Hanes Cool-Dri long sleeve t-shirts from Amazon for $10, both of these keep me as cool and dry as the HUK, maybe even more so, as for the SPF protection, I don't notice any difference between any of them, even tho they have a different rating. JMO!

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 05:38 PM

I just looked at BPS.....Columbia shirts are $39.99 and Huk shirts were $35.99. So people saying they are over-priced, not sure where You're getting that.
Posted By: StratVoodoo

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 05:44 PM

Heads up, the Huk buffs run small too. Ended up giving mine away due to the fact they were too tight to be comfortable.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
I just looked at BPS.....Columbia shirts are $39.99 and Huk shirts were $35.99. So people saying they are over-priced, not sure where You're getting that.

Same thing I thought as well.. but don't screw this up with logic.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 06:09 PM

Must be the type. I just paid 59.99 for HUK at BPS. I think when I bought my Columbia it was around 35
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 06:36 PM

I like my Guidewear with my long arms since Cabelas has tall sizes... more breathable than my Magellan shirt too.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Same thing I thought as well.. but don't screw this up with logic.

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Must be the type. I just paid 59.99 for HUK at BPS. I think when I bought my Columbia it was around 35

Right, Bobby...Comparable products. I just picked up long-sleeve, lightweight hoodie at BPS. The Columbia was $35, I believe, and the same style HUK was $50.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 07:26 PM

You will find them on sale here and there but normal MSRP for most top of the line HUK shirts are $55-$60.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 08:04 PM

Yes, Huk's Kryptec is about $5-$10 more.

But if you compare apples to apples on the 2 shirts, they are about the same.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/huk...mprfrmncrglnapt

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/col...rmnltckllsaptxx

See. Here is Dick's price. Im sure if Columbia had another shirt, a step up, it would be right in there with the Kryptec.

Either way, I buy on fit and feel. Columbia and all the rest make sweet shirts. Don't get me wrong. But the Huk's just seem to fit me better. Again, nothing wrong with any of them!
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/17/17 10:28 PM

Just the current fad, everyone in Huk's and dressing like mummy's on the water!!

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

SPF info is listed on tags. Dicks has Huk stuff on sale all of the time. It's where I bought mine.

I have two new Huk shirts hanging at the moment, with every tag still in place. Never on these or ANY other Huk shirt I have looked at have I ever seen an actual SPF or UPF NUMBER stated. As well, I have yet to find any statement whatsoever on their website that includes a number. Huk says their products have "sun protection built in". As another post alluded to, even basic cotton has a measurable protection factor. Huk is dodging comparison or oversight, or maybe avoiding certain tests that would be required in order to declare a particular UPF rating (where UPF is superior to SPF, btw).

The gold standard seems to be a UPF rating of 50. (SPF doesn't rate in the same way, so don't compare direct numbers.) What does UPF 50 mean, you ask? It means that 1 fiftieth (1/50th of UVA/UVB can penetrate the fabric, so that leaves 49 fiftieths (49/50th) of UVA/UVB that fails to penetrate the material. In other words, only 2% of UVA/UVB makes it through the fabric while 98% is blocked.

How about a shirt with a UPF of 30? Sounds a lot worse, right? ....You would be wrong. It means 1/30th of UVA/UVB penetrates the material. That's a whopping 3.34% - compared to the 2% of UPF 50! I The material is still blocking over 96% of all UVA/UVB. Not bad, huh?

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I have two new Huk shirts hanging at the moment, with every tag still in place. Never on these or ANY other Huk shirt I have looked at have I ever seen an actual SPF or UPF NUMBER stated. As well, I have yet to find any statement whatsoever on their website that includes a number. Huk says their products have "sun protection built in". As another post alluded to, even basic cotton has a measurable protection factor. Huk is dodging comparison or oversight, or maybe avoiding certain tests that would be required in order to declare a particular UPF rating (where UPF is superior to SPF, btw).

The gold standard seems to be a UPF rating of 50. (SPF doesn't rate in the same way, so don't compare direct numbers.) What does UPF 50 mean, you ask? It means that 1 fiftieth (1/50th of UVA/UVB can penetrate the fabric, so that leaves 49 fiftieths (49/50th) of UVA/UVB that fails to penetrate the material. In other words, only 2% of UVA/UVB makes it through the fabric while 98% is blocked.

How about a shirt with a UPF of 30? Sounds a lot worse, right? ....You would be wrong. It means 1/30th of UVA/UVB penetrates the material. That's a whopping 3.34% - compared to the 2% of UPF 50! I The material is still blocking over 96% of all UVA/UVB. Not bad, huh?

OK.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 11:51 AM

What detergent doesn't contain fabric softener?
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 12:23 PM

I ignore sun block numbers... it's a shirt, it's going to do DRAMATICALLY better than sun screen. I fish in long sleeves almost always now.

I get them cause I do think the material is the coolest, softest around. Palagic feels the same but are just was high. I can't stand the crispy feel of the Magellan shirts, some of them even rub my neck raw. All that said, I only buy them on sale
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: happycampr
I like my Guidewear with my long arms since Cabelas has tall sizes... more breathable than my Magellan shirt too.

Been really happy with the Guidewear sun protection clothing--soft material in the right sizes.

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
What detergent doesn't contain fabric softener?

You're probably right that many of them do. I think the clothing manufacturers are making the notation about adding additional softener products. However, for all my outdoor sports clothing (hunting and fishing) I prefer to use a liquid product that skips on containing a lot of the things we are trying to avoid. I use "Sport Wash" by Sno-Seal, even typically available in the Wal-Mart sporting goods department. It's actually very economical because a mere cap full of the highly concentrated liquid will do a typical load. It is touted to clean and restore breathable fabrics (probably because it cleans pores without then clogging them with gunk).

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/18/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Originally Posted By: happycampr

Been really happy with the Guidewear sun protection clothing--soft material in the right sizes.

Same here. I have more of this than anything else. It has even become my casual daily wear. Guide-lite is my absolute favorite - UPF of 50 but almost like having no shirt! The Bargain Cave is your friend on this! I buy off-season when they start whacking prices.
Posted By: L a r r y

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 06:48 PM

HUK gear is some really decent clothing to wear while fishing. Some will have opinions about price/fit/durability, but it is all in what you want. With that in mind, we can go out and catch many of fish, on a ole bamboo cane pole with, 30 feet of 20lb mono on the tip, but yet we choose to buy rods/reel combos from every manufacturer that puts something out. I say, give it a shot, buy one, if you don't like it, then gift it to someone and not buy their products. If you do like it, you've just found another MONEYPIT of something you can sink money into. Whether its $10 or $100

PS: I have two Kryptek Icon 1/4 zip shirts, and two of their Icon 1/4 zip.....all bought from DSG ON SALE 60% off

Fish More....Stress Less
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 07:33 PM

I ordered 3 Hanes long sleeve CoolDri 50 upf T's from... wait for it.... Wal-Mart. $7-$12 ea.

They're fine so far and feel great. Light weight, cool, breathable, etc. - doubt much different than the overpriced big name T's.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Sport-M...Id=actual_color
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: OldChamp
I ordered 3 Hanes long sleeve CoolDri 50 upf T's from... wait for it.... Wal-Mart. $7-$12 ea.

They're fine so far and feel great. Light weight, cool, breathable, etc. - doubt much different than the overpriced big name T's.

I would like some but I think my nipples would show. Do your nipples show?
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 08:04 PM

Pasties will resolve your issue.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI

Thanks. I just spit coke all over my keyboard at work.... laugh

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 10:38 PM

If any brand, you pick it, helps with the heat this time of year, I'll buy it regardless of cost because I will wear it every trip and I only need to buy one or two to swap them out. I'm not going to let $10 or $20 scare me away from a brand.
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: Huk Clothing - 07/19/17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI

omfg!! that just made my day. lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum