Texas Fishing Forum

Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon

Posted By: D Egge

Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 05:37 PM

What do ya'll think. I love my Extreme and I love my Helium. What do ya'll think of Falcon rods?
Need a new topwater rod and a jerk bait rod....
Posted By: mudd

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 06:08 PM

Look at the Kistler Reel n feel rods for what ur wanting. By far better then any Falcon rod I've ever used.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 06:26 PM

Get a falcon Headrurner and be prepared to switch tommithing but falcon caras
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 06:27 PM

Go with the Kistler Feel N' Reel. The Kistler quality is impressive and the best out of the 3 you mentioned. Be sure to check their website because they run special deals very often.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 09:52 PM

All good rods. If you decide to add a Cara you will be just as satisfied.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 10:06 PM

What type of topwater are you wanting to throw? Buzzbaits, Whopper Ploppers, poppers, big Sammies, frogs, horny toads and ribbits or other type of topwater baits. There is a HUGE difference in a frog rod and a general all around topwater rod. Just saying, I want to know MORE about what you plan on throwing. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 11:05 PM

I like poppers, spook type baits and also a lot of jerk baits. I had a 6'8 Avid medium/extra fast that I loved, but one day my phone rang at the same time as a cast and it kinda startled me and I threw the whole rig in...(some videos of me fishing would be hilarious)
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 11:36 PM

I just replaced all my Rods with dobyns and I absolutely love them, they are well balanced and the sensitivity is by far the best I have ever felt. I previously had all falcon rods that were either cara's or lowriders, but now that I switched I personally like the dobyns a lot more
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/16/17 11:58 PM

I will never buy another rod other than Falcon Caras. JMO.....

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 12:25 AM

In that case, I would probably look at the Champion 733C SH or FH OR the 734C SH or FH. The first one is a MH F action tip rated for baits from 1/4 to 3/4 oz. If you are throwing the BIG spooks, you might want to step up to the 734C, which is a H rod with a fast action tip, both are rated for spooks. The 734 is rated 1/4 to 1 oz. lures. I am a BIG Dobyns rod guy myself and enjoy them VERY MUCH for their light weight and sensitivity. If you prefer glass over graphite, they have an EXCELLENT rod for your applications, the 705CB Glass rod, MH, fast action tip rated for 1/4 to 1 oz baits and 8-20# lines. Any of those 3 should fit the bill for you, let me know if there are any questions or if you want to talk off line, PM me, here. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains. The 733 stands for 7'3" 3 power rod the 705 stands for 7' 5 power rod but it is GLASS and suited for your applications. If you want to remain shorter, like the Avid you ad, then you might check out the, 683 rod, but it is not rated for the heavier topwater baits as it is 1/4 to 5/8s oz. Hope this helps.

tr

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 12:50 AM

Another option I forgot about in the Champion series rods: The 683C SH.

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/683c/

The 733

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/733c-sh/

and the 705 CB Glass

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/704cb-glass/

or go here and look for yourself:

http://dobynsrods.com/rods/champion/

At least one of those rods ought to be right in your ballywhack. Just depends on how long you like your rods. I am 5'8" and LOVE the longer rods to cover more territory, but that may be my personal preference, not yours.

Respectfully,
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 12:12 PM

I made the move to all Dobyns rods starting late last year and pretty much have completed the transition as of last week. I looked at Kistler and owned Falcon rods previously, but the Dobyns rods somehow felt "right" for me and how I like to fish. I think it's a personal decision and you can't go wrong with any of the three, or a number of other manufacturers' rods.

After having a collection of different rods from different manufacturers that each felt different and balanced differently than the next, I made the move to a single company primarily for consistency. I did the same thing with reels, having Daiwa Tatula reels on all of the baitcasters and Shimano spinning reels on the spinning rods. I want to focus on learning to read the lake, selecting lures and mastering techniques, and not spend so much time changing gear weekly in an effort to find the "perfect" rod & reel combo. I'm sure it's not the right approach for everyone, but I'm feeling more comfortable every time I'm on the water.

That's my 2cents, and I probably owe you change...
Posted By: Blindshot54

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 01:20 PM

I have two kistlers, love them both , they perform.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 02:24 PM

Kistler KLX Tops and Tails Special Medium 6' 9" Fishing Rod

I have 3 of these rods that I use for small to medium topwater and jerkbaits they are super light and very comfortable to use but have the backbone to get big fish in the boat.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 02:32 PM

I broke the tip off a Cara a month or so ago. Sent in the rod and they sent me a brand new one that I could choose from any model. That kind of service made me a customer for life. I already had a dozen or so anyway.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 02:34 PM

All 3 of those are great choices. Cant go wrong.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 03:29 PM

Kistler Z-Bone, you can't put it down, they are a blast to fish!!!

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: FlaNative
I made the move to all Dobyns rods starting late last year and pretty much have completed the transition as of last week. I looked at Kistler and owned Falcon rods previously, but the Dobyns rods somehow felt "right" for me and how I like to fish. I think it's a personal decision and you can't go wrong with any of the three, or a number of other manufacturers' rods.

After having a collection of different rods from different manufacturers that each felt different and balanced differently than the next, I made the move to a single company primarily for consistency. I did the same thing with reels, having Daiwa Tatula reels on all of the baitcasters and Shimano spinning reels on the spinning rods. I want to focus on learning to read the lake, selecting lures and mastering techniques, and not spend so much time changing gear weekly in an effort to find the "perfect" rod & reel combo. I'm sure it's not the right approach for everyone, but I'm feeling more comfortable every time I'm on the water.

That's my 2cents, and I probably owe you change...

Completely agree. Except I love my falcons. All 3 rods mentioned are good brands. I would pick up a few of each at the store and see which ones feel better. Everybody likes their own feel in a rod

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 07:45 PM

OK, down to two rods...DC 683CB and a kistler klx 6'10 medium/fast.
Gonna throw smaller topwaters, poppers etc and jerkbaits...Hmmmmmm, now which one?
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 07:54 PM

Buy them both to try them out, keep the Kistler, and sell me the Dobyns for half price... I don't have that one!

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 09:38 PM

LOL
Sounds like a good idea!
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 09:51 PM

Dobyns are garbage, go with Kistler
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Kistler vs Dobyns vs Falcon - 07/17/17 10:18 PM

I have all Loomis but I do have a shakey head and cranking rod that are Dobyns, I would not take for them, they are champion extreme i think is what they are called.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum