Texas Fishing Forum

Losing fish on a buzzbait

Posted By: FalafelSupreme

Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 05:27 PM

I've had pretty good luck getting good bites on a buzzbait in the evenings, however my ability to get the fish in the boat is laughable. It seems to be the same almost every time, set hook, fight fish, fish gets to side of boat, jumps and throws the lure. I know a trailer hook could solve this problem, but I'm wondering if there's something simple that I'm not doing correctly? Almost landing decent fish just to have them come off at the boat is the worst feeling. hammer
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 05:36 PM

Could be your rod too? What kind of set up you using? I haven't lost one fish on a buzz bait yet and I do use a trailer hook too

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 05:49 PM

6.5' Med-Hvy with 12lb test. That or an old cheapo rod. I'll try switching my setup and see if it yields better results, thanks!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 06:00 PM

Heavier line even braid if you're comfortable with it. Definitely quality trailer hook too
Posted By: Yankinlips

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 06:03 PM

Probably my favorite way to catch em. Trailer hooks can help a bunch/ can also be a pain around vegetation. May be a bit obvious, but try to limit the fish being able to jump as much as possible. Sometimes it's hard to do, especially if they're swimming right at ya. Keep your rod tip as low as possible to better control the fish. I haven't lost too many while they're pulling under the surface, seems 90% come off at the surface. While it's awesome watching em jump, understand what they're trying to do. It may sound crazy, but I also let play themselves out a little as well. The obvious risk is losing the fish, but if they're tired they're not as likely to be real jumpy at the boat. Nothing's 100% though.

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 06:22 PM

Appreciate the tips guys! I'll spool up some 17lb test and take my braid setup out this evening. If I catch anything I'll share some pics.
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 07:18 PM

Trailer hook helps. but a buzz with a long shaft, and bend the hook out just a bit is a must for me. I prefer the old Lunker lure 1/2 oz.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 07:30 PM

Simple fix is heavy line. Fish is already on the surface when it strikes. Never let it get below the surface. Slide the fish across the surface not allowing it to jump and swing it in the boat; or if you have a partner slide it into the net.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Losing fish on a buzzbait - 07/15/17 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Simple fix is heavy line. Fish is already on the surface when it strikes. Never let it get below the surface. Slide the fish across the surface not allowing it to jump and swing it in the boat; or if you have a partner slide it into the net.

This!

Less time fighting the fish = less chance to lose em.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum