Texas Fishing Forum

Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall

Posted By: nate king

Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 11:44 AM

Finally!! It has been two days and I have spent 300 in that store. No more going to Bass Pro or Dicks, which dicks never had anything fishing related i liked anyway. Although they did not have the "NED Rig" in there and a few other off the wall items that I normally get at other Academys. They did write down the items that I was looking for. They said they are trying to get a "local feel" of what people want and will fill the orders.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 01:58 PM

It was nice to see a store with product in it. Hopefully it stays that way.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:19 PM

Give it 6 months. Will sux like the rest of them.
Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:39 PM

I had a chance to check it out yesterday on lunch. Nice store. So far, so good. Lets hope the fishing department stays legit.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:43 PM

May go check it out tomorrow. Should probably leave my wallet at home...
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:43 PM

I went to an Academy in Alabama while I was there.. totally different than here.
They actually had a huge selection of product and employees that knew what they had and where it was. It did not suck.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:56 PM

When I lived in Fate I always wondered why there was not an Academy in Rockwall. Always like stopping by an Academy. Great stores.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:57 PM

^ I agree! For those of you guys that says the selection sucks and they are out of everything what are you looking for specifically? I've always found what I need. The employees aren't much help but I don't need them to be, that's what TFF is for
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 02:58 PM

The one in Greenville has a nice fishing section. The one in Rockwall not so much.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 04:26 PM

I wish Academy would take over the closing Gander Mountain in Lake Worth... just sayin'...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BThomas
The one in Greenville has a nice fishing section. The one in Rockwall not so much.

They are almost identical, the guy who set up the one in Greenville also set up the one in Rockwall. Have you even been there yet Bennie? LOL

Ryan Niemeyer is one of the lead guys there and I guarantee as long as he is there the fishing section will not suck.

Like stated above he wants feed back to make sure to stock the stuff people in this area will buy.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 07:08 PM

I've grown to hate Academy. The one I go to had empty pegs where they don't keep things stocked, you can't get the employees working to get off their stools. I asked one that want busy to give me a price check and he wanted me to walk to a different part of the store to use the reader. I had to explain that the reader want working before he'd pull his reader from the register and tell me and Everytime I go to check out there's a long line and one register open. The process are a little better than Bass pro but if rather drive to BPS because I know they will have what I want and I won't spend 30 minutes in line to pay. All of this goes back to a lazy bad manager that doesn't try.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FlaNative
I wish Academy would take over the closing Gander Mountain in Lake Worth... just sayin'...

Camping World Holdings ( ticker symbol CWH ) bought out bankrupt Gander Mountain but haven't made public their intentions as far as how it would be operated or even if it will continue selling similar merchandise. The one in Mesquite was less than a block away from Academy and just couldn't compete. I would think the new Academy in Rockwall would take business away from BPS unless BPS gets competitive with their pricing.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 08:32 PM

academy does have low senko prices compared to BPS or cabelas, that's the good thing about going there the prices seem fair.
Posted By: Drodge

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Drodge

True deal. Terrible these days.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 09:44 PM

From my experience it all depends on the store location. Here in Tomball where there's a greater percentage of rednecks the fishing section is great and always stocked. The Katy location is good too. The stores in Houston not so much.

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/14/17 09:50 PM

I think some guys are expecting sporting goods store to have the same inventory as TW.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 12:02 AM

No, just to stock what they do sell.
Posted By: Larry M

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin
academy does have low senko prices compared to BPS or cabelas, that's the good thing about going there the prices seem fair.

Yup Academy is becoming my go to for sure for several reasons.
Locations are all over.
Great selections.
Boat accessories and parts like quality bilge pumps and hardware.
Exide Batteries in Stock.
Lucas Oil Products.
Better Pricing.

I spent half a day driving to Cabelas in Buda and then to BPS in San Antonio just to find half the stuff I wanted. I went to Academy found most of the rest then went home and ordered from their website. I will never set foot in either store again and I have been buying from Cabelas for 30 years.

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
No, just to stock what they do sell.

Grapevine, North Tarrant, and Hurst stores usually are stocked well. Denton, Tyler and Longview stores aRe great too. I personally don't have much to complain about with Academy.
Posted By: nate king

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 08:19 AM

I dont understand all the complaining. I have never been to a bad academy
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 11:50 AM

Academy in Arlington could use more tackle. Zoom stuff is pretty thin. The one in Ft.Worth and Hurst are better.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: nate king

If you ever go to the Greenville store you will see what some of us are talking about, when it first opened it was great, six months later empty pegs, no customer service and 30 minutes to check out. And people wonder why stores are closing, I think they will be next on the list.
I do most of my shopping with the little / local guy, my pay a little more but I get service, no line to check out and I saved some gas. 2cents
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/15/17 02:00 PM

The Academy stores around me are horrible. The Burleson store.. probably 25% of the pegs are empty in the terminal tackle section. I've been trying to buy drop shot weights there for 6 months and they just never re stock. Its really frustrating to see tubs of inventory stacked up in the aisles and nobody is restocking. I drove over to the Bryant Irving store and found the same thing there.. very frustrating. I guess I'm going to have to buy online to get what I want.

BD
Posted By: flexpress

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 02:15 AM

Need one inn Terrell
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 05:05 AM

I went in today. I found some drop shot weights that were on the shelf. Glad the store is new. The same weights are not in stock at three other stores in the area. I thought I might find a few more Grand Opening sales. Not so much. I hope Ryan Niemeyer who is in Management up there will keep the place in good shape.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PaPa@fork

If you ever go to the Greenville store you will see what some of us are talking about, when it first opened it was great, six months later empty pegs, no customer service and 30 minutes to check out. And people wonder why stores are closing, I think they will be next on the list.
I do most of my shopping with the little / local guy, my pay a little more but I get service, no line to check out and I saved some gas. 2cents
I go the Greenville store all the time. Everything is in stock. The employees are quite helpful and knowledgeable. I don't understand how you could complain about it...

I will join in with those who say that I've never been to a bad one. Didn't go to Mesquite often, but they always had a good bit of stuff. Tyler also stays well stocked on the rare occasions I get to go. With the one in G-ville now, I go at least weekly and it's always well-stocked. Great prices and great selection. If you can complain about that, you're probably never going to be happy.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

I go the Greenville store all the time. Everything is in stock. The employees are quite helpful and knowledgeable. I don't understand how you could complain about it...

I will join in with those who say that I've never been to a bad one. Didn't go to Mesquite often, but they always had a good bit of stuff. Tyler also stays well stocked on the rare occasions I get to go. With the one in G-ville now, I go at least weekly and it's always well-stocked. Great prices and great selection. If you can complain about that, you're probably never going to be happy.

Maybe I was there before they restocked the pegs and it was in the middle of the week so that could explain the low number of employees working, I'll stop by and see if it's any better than the last time I was there.
Posted By: bell0347

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 01:48 PM

They pack em full before opening but as soon as that initial stock gets thinned out it will stay that way. Now days the shelves are bare and if you ask why, they just ask what you need and say they can order it and have it at your house or the store in 2 days. If I wanted to order it I'd have done so at home and sometimes, I want to put something in my hands prior to purchasing it.
Posted By: KyleW

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 04:21 PM

Academy near me runs out of the "clearance" items within the first day of the sale, but other than those items the shelves are always stocked with what they carry. The employees aren't the brightest at times and there's usually only two lines open similar to Walmart. I wish Academy, bass pro, etc would put in self checkouts.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/16/17 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bell0347
They pack em full before opening but as soon as that initial stock gets thinned out it will stay that way. Now days the shelves are bare and if you ask why, they just ask what you need and say they can order it and have it at your house or the store in 2 days. If I wanted to order it I'd have done so at home and sometimes, I want to put something in my hands prior to purchasing it.

EXACTLY!!!!!

I was told that exact same thing yesterday at the Waxahachie store. You'd think that they would like to make money..but, I guess I'm wrong.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/17/17 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

Maybe I was there before they restocked the pegs and it was in the middle of the week so that could explain the low number of employees working, I'll stop by and see if it's any better than the last time I was there.
Fair enough. I've had nothing but good experiences there. That being said, I usually don't go during busy hours. So there may not be a ton of employees, but there aren't many customers either so it's easy to find someone to help.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/17/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

They are almost identical, the guy who set up the one in Greenville also set up the one in Rockwall. Have you even been there yet Bennie? LOL

Ryan Niemeyer is one of the lead guys there and I guarantee as long as he is there the fishing section will not suck.

Like stated above he wants feed back to make sure to stock the stuff people in this area will buy.

Interesting. I didn't know Ryan went to Academy. I was up there buying ammo. I walked around the fishing briefly. I thought the Greenville store had more fishing rows. maybe not.

I need to go up and chat with Ryan. Good guy.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/17/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Interesting. I didn't know Ryan went to Academy. I was up there buying ammo. I walked around the fishing briefly. I thought the Greenville store had more fishing rows. maybe not.

I need to go up and chat with Ryan. Good guy.

Ryan told me the reason that most departments are smaller is the store is like 9k sq foot smaller than their usual stores, because they are in the old sports authority building.

He said he wants feed back on what people want them to stock.
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/17/17 05:10 PM

I also order from their website. It's faster than Prime
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/17/17 06:32 PM

10-12 years ago at Academy you could buy a solid rod- Falcon Low Rider or an All-Star and have take your pick of any Shimano or Diawa reel. They also stocked Abu Garcia Revo STXs when they first came out. They stocked Chronarch 50mgs ($249 back then), 100B ($269 back then) and other high-end stuff. Presently, I don't think they stock a reel over $199- at least not in most stores and most of their stock is cheaper H20 stuff that frankly isn't that good. They only carry the cheapest Shimano and Diawa rods.

Like everyone else has said lure section is usually pretty bad with a lot of empty pegs. I'd like to see a much better balance of low-end and higher-end stuff. They seem to be really focused on the low-end market in my areas- Highland Village and Denton. HV has plenty of people that would buy higher-end stuff. They definitely lose that business now to Tackle Warehouse, BPS and Cabelas. Academy used to be my go-to place (along with Sportsman Warehouse in Lewisville what closed in 2007 or 2008). I know what I can get there and what I can't now. If I need some Zoom Z-Craws I am good to go but I haven't bought a rod or reel there in over 8 years. "Rod Riot" days are gone I guess too.
Posted By: Wavemaker

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/20/17 04:31 PM

Tell them you want Tiki Sticks! We did great in there for many years thanks to you all. I have had many customers from all over say they used to buy them at Academy and they wish they could again. I am working on it and with you all's help we can get it done.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/20/17 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Crankalot
I also order from their website. It's faster than Prime

I ordered a rod the other day and just used the basic free shipping and it arrived at my door less than 24 hours later. I was amazed.
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/20/17 07:31 PM

I sure hope we get one in lake worth
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/20/17 07:39 PM

I have 3 Academys in about a half an hour from my house,.. banana
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Thank God we finally got an Academy in Rockwall - 07/20/17 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
I have 3 Academys in about a half an hour from my house,.. banana

I do as well, Flower Mound store is on my way home, Lewisville store is a few miles from work, and Denton is a few miles from home. All three have a great selection of "more commonly used" baits, which is what the masses are buying.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum