Texas Fishing Forum

Sguarebill reel

Posted By: Gregg R

Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 06:54 PM

Hey guys, I like to throw a squarebill ,wanting to upgrade from a h2o reel to a better reel. I really like the lews. Just wondering which model, gear ratio, line size, etc. I appreciate the help.
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 07:00 PM

I throw a 7:1:1 Citica 200g7 on 14lb floro, casts a mile. Id suggest looking into a E or G series shimano reel for sale on the trading forum.
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 07:01 PM

6.3:1 or less is my favorite for all crank baits. 12lbs to 15lbs floro is all I use for crankbaits. I have no experience with Lew's, but know lots of folks that really enjoy them.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 07:35 PM

Lews Super Duty - 7.1:1 is all you need...
Posted By: kiamichisooner

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 07:41 PM

REVO STX 6.4 or 7.1.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 07:42 PM

I like a low gear ratio reel for square bills as well as deep divers. I can burn with it if I need to. I use the Lews MB in the 5.6:1 gear ratio and I love it. Affordable too with a 139 price point. Here's a link.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Tournament_MB_Speed_Spool_Casting_Reel/descpage-MBS.html
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 07:57 PM

I like to use a 7.1:1 because i am on my trolling motor going down the bank and i am driving at the bait so with a slower reel i have to reel alot faster to get the bait to move so i am not just taking up slack the faster u fish the faster the reel needs to be.
if it is brand u r asking about i use bass pro shop pro qualifiers a lot of bang for the buck.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 08:15 PM

I use a 6.3:1, on 12-15 # mono or copoly.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
I like a low gear ratio reel for square bills as well as deep divers. I can burn with it if I need to. I use the Lews MB in the 5.6:1 gear ratio and I love it. Affordable too with a 139 price point. Here's a link.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Tournament_MB_Speed_Spool_Casting_Reel/descpage-MBS.html

This ^^ I like the 6.8:1 ratio too. I just ordered another last week.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/12/17 11:23 PM

I personally didn't like the first lews I bought, but it was a cheaper reel($90). I let everybody talk me into a higher end Lews and spent 179 on a BB-1 Pro. Hated it just as much as the one half it's price. I carry mainly Shimano Citicas, Curados and Casitas. Plus a couple Quantum PT Energy's. I like the Casitas for fishing weightless or light weighted soft plastics, probably wouldn't use them specifically for a squarebill. You cannot go wrong with the Citica or Curado though in my opinion. Look on ebay for the best deal on a new one and you'll save 50 bucks or more compared to store prices. I prefer a 6.3:1 with sqaurebills and throw it on 12-15 lb test Fluorocarbon, occasionally even down to 8lb in the right situation.
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 12:25 AM

Popularity contest blow
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 12:51 AM

Get the Lews BB1 Pro in whatever gear ratio you like. Fantastic square bill reel.

I would NOT get a G series Shimano or the I series either.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 12:54 AM

I use a Lews Tourney Pro in 6:3:1 and 12lb. Mono.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 02:46 AM

I am an old Shimano guy, still using the 200 B series for all my cranking. I am using the original 200 at 6.3:1 and the 200B5 at 5.1:1 ratio. I am way different than all these guys, fishing my square bills on McCoys Mean Green 10-15# test for square bills. Mostly 12 #, but sometimes, if I am burning the bait back in and amongst brush, I go to the 15. Smaller diameter line lets it get deeper than using mono, so I am happy with that. If I were buying a reel for square bills, it would be a 6.3:1 or so reel, for spinnerbaits and square bills. But what do I KNOW, I have only been throwing square bills since 2000. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 11:51 AM

What color of squarebill will you be throwing? You might as well consider lure color when selecting a reel as well.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: FlatBack4
What color of squarebill will you be throwing? You might as well consider lure color when selecting a reel as well.

ha. I like it a lot.

Any reel with a retrieve speed around 5.3:1 or slightly higher.
Any rod with a medium fast tip and action. I like graphite in 6.5 or 7 foot.

You can also use this set up for MANY other lures in various colors.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 12:23 PM

I first had am Abu Orra Winch in 5.4.1, liked it but it's more suited for deep cranking for my taste. Just recently purchased a Quantum Smoke HD 200PT in 6.6.1. Not only is it smooth and incredibly quiet but it also has a deep spool and it might be my favorite reel out of all I own.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 01:30 PM

Doesn't matter really. Just find a reel you like that's comfortable. Always going to be different views. IMO a faster reel is better because it's easier to slow down than to speed up for me. Don't over think it or you will just exhaust yourself. I would look into a reel that throws lighter lures well if your talking squarebills. I use a Lew's Pro G and it's good. The Shimanos have always been good also.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 02:59 PM

My choice as well.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 03:22 PM

Tatula 6.3 for me deep divers get the 5.3
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 03:24 PM

Daiwa Tatula SV TW in 7.1:1 or 6.3:1 Gear Ratio
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/13/17 05:18 PM

I use a Lews BB1 (6:4-1) on a Lews Custom Speed Stick (Squarebill) rod. Just recently got the rod and could not be more pleased with it.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/14/17 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FlatBack4

banana
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/14/17 04:09 PM

OK, I admit that I don't throw square bills a lot, but the times I have and have been successful with them and encouraged to throw them more, I was throwing at targets like specific groups of rock, laydowns, submerged visible wood or weed formations. For these, I consider a lot of the retrieve just a matter of getting the bait back to the boat as quickly as necessary. Personally, I am going to get an 8.2 or 8.3 ratio left handed reel for this purpose. Left handed because you can start the back swing of the cast while the lure is still touching the water (much faster), and that I am getting weary of winding the reel a gazillion times to cover the dead water.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/14/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassalong
I am getting weary of winding the reel a gazillion times to cover the dead water.

That "dead water" is sometimes where I get my bite. A fish may follow it out of the cover and slam it right at the boat.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/15/17 02:46 AM

FINE. I'll cover more dead water that way too.
Posted By: bell0347

Re: Sguarebill reel - 07/16/17 01:54 PM

Lews Tournament MB or BB1 in a 6:something gear ratio with 14-15 lb fluoro. I don't care too much for the sub $100 Lews. Drags are weak and they seem to be hard to dial in at least for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum