Texas Fishing Forum

What size oval split ring?

Posted By: SoCal Tom

What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 05:49 AM

I have a couple oval shaped split rings that I need to replace. Is there a standard size for a 5 or 6XD? Does this fit most crankbaits as well? I looked at some on TW and some companies have two sizes, and some have as many as four? Thanks for the help.
Posted By: 007.

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 01:32 PM

Take one with you and stop by Barlows and they can match the size.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Split-Rings-Oval-Shaped-P831.aspx

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 02:10 PM

Great idea. Thanks Brandon. Barlow's is great for that stuff

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 02:37 PM

Tom,

After putting my dial calipers on one of my 6XD's, those Barlows ones may be to big. The oval split ring on my 6XD is is smaller than 0.32, which is size 5 on the Barlows chart.

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 03:56 PM

I also sent Strike King an e-mail asking them what size they use. If anyone else has input, please chime in. Normally I lose crankbaits before they hardware starts to rust... grin
Posted By: TexasPescado

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
Normally I lose crankbaits before they hardware starts to rust... grin

I can confirm this statement. My plug knocker gets a workout when SoCal Tom is in the boat! Although I'm pretty sure I beat him in lost crankbaits this weekend, but he still holds the overall record.

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/10/17 05:18 PM

If it helps, the one I measured on the 6XD was 0.275 outside diameter on the longest side.

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/17/17 05:19 PM

So no one knows the size of the oval split rings? Evidently Strike King does not know either because I e-mailed them and got no answer...
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/17/17 06:19 PM

I use 60lb #5. They are a little bigger than the stock SK ovals, but it honestly doesn't matter. They are close enough to work as intended.
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/17/17 09:02 PM

I've been using Owner Oval 4's on mine. I can't remember exactly but I think it was a tactical bassin video that said they were 4s or 5s

Re: What size oval split ring? - 07/18/17 04:50 AM

TW has Owners from sizes 1-4. Bigger is better! Thanks for the replies.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum