Texas Fishing Forum

Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF.

Posted By: jbassman

Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/07/17 03:12 PM

Feed back please?
Posted By: FACSR

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/07/17 03:39 PM

My son got a RT 188 less than 2 years ago and is very happy with it . Ive been fishing with him three times in it and I was impressed. He purchased it with a 115 evinrude , personally I would have went with a Mercury but all in all seems like a good stable boat. my 2 cents
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/07/17 05:24 PM

I've had mine about 2 1/2 years. I fish Fork and private lakes about 50/50. I can launch it off the bank at the ponds, and run 45 mph down Lake Fork. I only really have 2 complaints. The 1st would apply to all 18'8" aluminum boats - it's not real stable for fishing in rough water (compared to my old 20' fiberglass that I traded in). and 2nd, it can be a real challenge to get it properly loaded on the trailer. I've learned to only back the trailer in a little bit, get the boat lined up properly in the bunks, and then slowly come back more. When I'm by myself, it's much harder, but I usually get it on in 1-3 tries.

overall, great boat at a reasonable price; equally at home on a 30 acre pond or lake fork. although if the wind is howling on Fork, I'd choose wisely on where to launch and where to fish to avoid the main lake.
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/07/17 06:29 PM

I've spent a few days in one, and I'd recommend one for sure.
Posted By: DaveTV

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/07/17 06:53 PM

I have a 2017 model with the Merc ProXS 115 four stroke. Had it since last Sept.

As aforementioned, the RT188 doesn't do well in wind and chop. A little wind and choppy water is no problem but stronger winds and rough water sucks. However, I can't really complain because it has meet or exceeded my expectations for tin boat. In good conditions it is a stable platform, fishes well and runs down the lake great.

The upside for me is the ease of towing and maneuvering through alleys in my neighborhood and backing it down my drive way. If I had any longer or wider boat I couldn't do it. Also, it is super easy to roll around on the concrete by myself if I need to move it around the garage/driveway.

I would recommend the RT188 and think it is the best buy in its class. I looked at Crestliner, Express, Lowe, and others. Even looked at the Triton which is almost exactly the same boat. In the end, the Ranger RT188 just seemed to be a better product.
Posted By: Billybass1102

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/07/17 10:07 PM

What about leg room under console? I looked at a 198 and seamed to be cramped for leg room
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/08/17 01:09 AM

I'm 6'4" and 280 and don't notice any problems. very comfortable for me. I don't think I can completely stretch out, but I think I'd need a 21 footer to do that.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Any Ranger RT 188 owners on the TFF. - 07/08/17 01:17 AM

Just got mine 2 weeks ago 115 merc command thrust like it a lot. Very stable aluminum and plenty room at console.
J D popcorn
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum