Texas Fishing Forum

Braid Digging Into Itself

Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 04:08 PM

So the other day I was getting into some schooling fish and decided to try out an Alabama rig. I was throwing it on my frog rod with 65 lb braid and the weight of the Alabama rig and the resistance of reeling it in was causing my braid to dig into itself on the reel. Then when I would try to cast it would go about 15 feet and catch, causing huge bird nests. After doing this about 10 times I was about ready to throw the thing in the lake but I was able to resist. Anyway, does anyone know how to keep this from happening?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 04:10 PM

Lob cast on a different rod.
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 04:25 PM

Throw it on floruo and a lower gear ratio
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 06:18 PM

Do you have some mono backing on the reel before the braid? It helps with all kinds of braid problems.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 06:25 PM

Pull off the braid and respool. If you have an old reel use it and "reverse" the line. You can also put a piece of electrical tape across the line about 100 yards or so down. It won't dig down past the tape.
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 07:11 PM

It may be that the braid isn't spooled on tight enough. Make sure that you have a good mono backing and the braid has good pressure on it when you respool.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/05/17 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone. will try some of these things and see if it helps.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/06/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Do you have some mono backing on the reel before the braid? It helps with all kinds of braid problems.

this solved my prob
Posted By: varnoldi

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/06/17 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: tsspencer2887
It may be that the braid isn't spooled on tight enough. Make sure that you have a good mono backing and the braid has good pressure on it when you respool.

+1 FIRST TIME I LOADED BRAID IT WAS NOT TIGHT ENOUGH, RE-SPOOLING TIGHTER FIXED IT.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/06/17 02:35 PM

As useful as it is, one of the things you will hear on our boat several times in a day is "F*&*ing braid!"
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Braid Digging Into Itself - 07/06/17 08:04 PM

When I load braid, I tie on a 3oz sinker and cast it as far as I can. Do it 4 or 5 times to "seat" the braid in the reel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum