Texas Fishing Forum

Boat registration numbers

Posted By: coarcher

Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:19 AM

I have a two man (made of the plastic stuff) and am needing to redo my numbers. Being a plastic type boat, the vinyl letters always starting peeling off / wash off when washing. I am looking for alternatives / ideas.

I was considering buying stencils and painting the numbers on. Has anyone ever done this on this particular material?

I would really like specifics on the best paint for this if anyone has any experience, thanks.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:23 AM

I wiped my plastic boats down with denatured alcohol before putting on the numbers. Believe me, if the kayakers can make all those decals stay fixed, you can make your registration numbers stick.
Posted By: Klinker

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:25 AM

You have to have registration numbers on a kayak?
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:26 AM

You have a trolling motor on that thing?

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:28 AM

The thing with most kayaks is that their surface is typically smooth, whereas my two man is slightly textured. This is what allowed the other to peel / get washed off.

Thanks for that info though, I think being textured I would end up with the same results.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: coarcher
I have a two man (made of the plastic stuff) and am needing to redo my numbers. Being a plastic type boat, the vinyl letters always starting peeling off / wash off when washing. I am looking for alternatives / ideas.

I was considering buying stencils and painting the numbers on. Has anyone ever done this on this particular material?

I would really like specifics on the best paint for this if anyone has any experience, thanks.

I did just that, bought stencils and spraypainted the #'s on a bass buster, lasted over 10 years before I had to re-do it.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: coarcher
The thing with most kayaks is that their surface is typically smooth, whereas my two man is slightly textured. This is what allowed the other to peel / get washed off.

Thanks for that info though, I think being textured I would end up with the same results.

My Twin Troller x10 was very textured. I watched it sell on here a few months ago and the same stickers I applied 3 years ago were still on it.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:43 AM

different grades of letter material and walmart letters and numbers not going to be the best.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Klinker
You have to have registration numbers on a kayak?

Anything with a motor (even portable) must have them. The torqueedo or other TMs made specifically for kayaks included.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 12:16 PM

Thin narrow strip of waterproofed? painted? osb, plywood or any type thin sheet material, Rivet "board" to boat stick numbers on board. I also have the 2 man plastic boat, I used like a silicone calk to stick my numbers right to the boat but they do peel with time.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 02:01 PM

Go to a decal shop that uses the 3M 700 series film for your numbers. Clean the surface with alcohol, and apply the decals. Use a heat gun or hairdryer, and they will conform and stick. We do this often on rough surfaces and going over weld seams.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/01/17 04:50 PM

1st World Problems ,

Re: Boat registration numbers - 07/02/17 08:12 PM

I appreciate the input guys. Anyone else have any experience painting numbers on two man boats? If so, what kind of paint worked best for you?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum