Texas Fishing Forum

Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder

Posted By: Klinker

Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder - 07/01/17 01:49 AM

Just purchased a new to me 1998 Champion 181 and need to replace the outdated electronics. I am on a budget so trying to spend wisely. Is GPS a helpful feature (presumably to follow contours) for the FRONT unit? Is down imaging a useful feature?
Posted By: Ranger481

Re: Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder - 07/01/17 02:40 AM

Yes on both questions.
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder - 07/01/17 03:19 AM

I would recommend with going at least a 9" if you do put one up there... It will help to see easier esp if you start splitting the screens for different views.
Good luck with your search.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder - 07/01/17 04:26 AM

Im cheap and put a lowrance hook 5 up front on trolling motor.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder - 07/01/17 01:50 PM

Have a Garmin 7DV up front that has 2D chirp and down imaging. The down imaging is really nice, especially in submerged timber. Also has the ability to do way points, but no mapping. With the waypoint capability, I haven't had a need for mapping yet. Get close with the mapping at the console.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Question - Bow/Trolling Motor Mount Fish Finder - 07/01/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Klinker
Just purchased a new to me 1998 Champion 181 and need to replace the outdated electronics. I am on a budget so trying to spend wisely. Is GPS a helpful feature (presumably to follow contours) for the FRONT unit? Is down imaging a useful feature?

You will want your front unit to do as much as possible.
In order of most importance to me.
- Being able to see the map and follow the contour line out and around points, humps and creek channel swings.
- Having Down Scan is much more vivid a picture than sonar. I want that image of the tree, bush, edge of grass , ledge and the fish relating to those features.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum