Texas Fishing Forum

Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish

Posted By: Capt'n Seabass

Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/29/17 01:12 AM

Hi Guys,
Here's a video I made making my first ever crankbait for bass. I was given some good tips and tricks from my friend in Japan so I figured I'd share it with you guys. I'm very happy with the result!

Posted By: LuckyLuke

Re: Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/29/17 03:46 AM

That looks amazing dude! what wood do you use?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/29/17 02:19 PM

I love the hand made lures and have about 5 in my collection from Old Timers. I have none from today's world. I would love to have one and talk to you about putting one in the collection. Thanks for sharing your skills. I am impressed with all that spend that kind of time to build a custom bait.

Re: Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/29/17 08:32 PM

Thanks mate, the wood is Pauwlonia. As I stated in the video you could use a wide variety of wood for making crankbaits and other diving lures.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/30/17 12:43 PM

Enjoyed the video, I love the fine detail you put on this bait. Ive heard balsa wood works good too. Ive painted lots of crankbaits but never hand carver one, maybe will sometime in the near future.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/30/17 05:05 PM

clap

Re: Making Your Own Crankbait With Realistic Finish - 06/30/17 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Enjoyed the video, I love the fine detail you put on this bait. Ive heard balsa wood works good too. Ive painted lots of crankbaits but never hand carver one, maybe will sometime in the near future.

Most woods work well. Balsa is commonly used however the downside to using this wood is the fact that it is heavily dependent on the epoxy/urethane coating for its durability. Balsa is a very brittle wood.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum