Texas Fishing Forum

Am I losing casting distance?

Posted By: Ibock

Am I losing casting distance? - 06/28/17 08:57 PM

I throw a ton of 1/4 oz swim jigs on a 7 ft MH rod fast thats rated for 3/8oz lures or bigger. Am I losing casting distance by not having the right rod and will I have more over runs bc of it?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/28/17 08:58 PM

It's possible. Depends on how you have your reel set, too.
Posted By: Michael.Beaty

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/28/17 09:01 PM

Possibly but if your adding a trailer to the swim jig your making up a bit of the weight so I doubt your ur losing much if any
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/30/17 01:39 AM

That's a bit light for a MH in my opinion but your not giving up much distance. You could maybe get 10 more yards with the right equipment. Wind, line, and lure shape are probably the greatest variables. Paddletails and lures with large lips are difficult while thin profile lures fly.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/30/17 02:26 AM

You're just getting old. roflmao
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/30/17 11:24 AM

I think a MH is likely too heavy for a 1/4th oz. swim jig . . . or nudging close to the operational lower end range bound. And, there are times when you might want to drop down to something even lighter, say down to a 1/8th to stir up a bite if it's really a tough day. Few things catch fish on tough days like going really small or in the direction of finesse.

If long casting distance is a goal, I'd at least look at a Medium power or even another MH power with a parabolic or moderate bend action, not a fast tip. You'll cast farther and, though it is harder to accept for many, you'll have more power over a fish once it is hooked since your lifting point will be closer to your hands.

Brad
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/30/17 01:02 PM

Pulling fish out of thick cover with a medium rod can be trouble.

Unless you are fishing the swim jig only in open water/rocks/rip rap; I'd stay with the MH.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Am I losing casting distance? - 06/30/17 02:15 PM

Getting old maybe the problem , it is for me , I'm 62 . Not in to long casting any more cause I can't.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum