Texas Fishing Forum

Lake amistad trip. Tips please

Posted By: Jswanz58

Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 06/28/17 02:43 AM

Going to be headed down for a week. I leave Tuesday. Any tips on what to expect/what to bring? What are some of halls favorite baits/colors? Do I need some reels with braid?
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 06/28/17 04:04 PM

What part of the lake are you planning to launch/fish?

Expect the level to be pretty low. Lots of hazards at this level. There are submerged canyons along the channels. You can be running in 100+ft depth but the top of the canyon is just under the surface - so if you stray over a bit you are suddenly in dangerous water. Follow the channels on your gps or just watch for color changes in the water (dark blue = good. light blue/white = bad)!

Only reason you would "need" braid is if you want to throw a frog over the grass.

Shad colors for cranks/spinners. Crawfish color for plastics.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 06/28/17 05:06 PM

zara spooks early, fish toads on braid in the duckweed all day.
Fish deeper grass off drains and points.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 06/28/17 05:18 PM

Some big fish being caught on topwaters. You can throw a topwater all day and get hit, no matter the conditions. Spinnerbaits and flukes have been working well too. You can throw any sort of plastic and get bit, especially senkos. I'd stick to the Evans creek area or somewhere in the San Pedro. If you wanna stay out of the wind, launch at Box Canyon and fish the river. I do just fine without braid there, but if you feel more confident with it then go for it.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 06/28/17 08:26 PM

Went down there this past Saturday to take my FIL fishing. Stumbled across some birds diving and thought it would be a school of whites. Turned out to be large mouths chasing shad on a 12-15' deep flat next to a 60' drop off. Bunch of 1-2 pounders. Between the FIL, my wife and I we were tossing rattle traps and spoons with decent success. Tossed a chug bug just for giggles even though there was a good chop on the surface. Was ripping it through the chop and nailed a 6# on first cast. This was just east of the Diablo ramp.
Posted By: superfamous

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 07/19/17 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: basscatcher01
Going to be headed down for a week. I leave Tuesday. Any tips on what to expect/what to bring? What are some of halls favorite baits/colors? Do I need some reels with braid?

How was the trip? Was grass starting to mat up on the lake in deeper water?
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 07/21/17 01:10 AM

some areas have the grass, some are bare. But once you find the grass,,, its everywhere.
Posted By: Champion1423

Re: Lake amistad trip. Tips please - 07/21/17 01:16 AM

I actually fished it about a month ago. Lots of grass growing around the 277 bridge.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum