Texas Fishing Forum

In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat.

Posted By: Bassin Fever

In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 12:57 AM

My wife and I were at Champion today towing the dock back after the 75 plus winds blew down the lake a little.
I had my Skeeter with the 225 engine and we pulled it slowly back to its original postion by the ramp. The dock got hung on a branch and one of the straps we were holding it with popped off so I just dove in after it. Grabbed it handed it to my wife and my wife asked how I wa gonna get back in the boat. I had one of those rope ladders in a box but I wanted to try the motor trick that every body says works. I even used to teach Boater safety in my Wildkife management classes and told the students if you fall in all you have to do is swim to the back of the boat, lower the motor, put a foot on each side of the motor plate. Hit the motor trim switch up and slide up and o over the motor. Simple ------ WRONG
I did just like the manual said lifted me up out of the water, the motor I found is too high t go over so I tried to step from left side onto the back of boat. My foot slipped off the back slope of boat, my other foot slid ff of motor plate. I straddled the rear of the motor.... One leg n one side one on the other. My family Jewels in the middle. I just let go fell back in the water and swam to the bank.
Moral of story don't believe everything you read in the water safety manual, or what the teacher says.... [censored] my jewels are aching my inside of my thighs red as a radish and I'm walking like a fence post was shoved up my buttocks.
My question is has any one else ever tried this and what success did you have.
Maybe I did it wrong but from now on I'll take my chances with the rope ladder or buy a boat the has a pull out ladder. Wife is still laughing and keeps asking me if I need to go to the doctor.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 01:50 AM

You are right most motors are too tall to straddle over. Just belly up on the motor and swing legs around to the front, hanging on for dear life. Ha... Glad you didn't get cut by the prop. as you went back in the water.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 02:05 AM

This is another Wow posting for me.

I made a posting on here several years ago about getting back in the boat if you were in the water for whatever reason. Not nearly as easy as most people think. I took a lot of grief on here for my posting but as I said then and I'll say now, give it a shot and tell us how it worked for you. Be safe....
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 02:05 AM

I might add, (duh) make sure the motor is off before you do this! banana
I have done it, a regular ladder won't fit on my Triton.
Posted By: Bassin Fever

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 02:27 AM

Donald I just wanted to see if it could be done. We were fairly close to the shore about fifteen to twenty yards away. I've read and taught this method to my students. It's not as easy as one thinks because when you raise the motor your at an angle that your feet are bound to slide forward. I think if you were in cold water it would get you up out of the water but the height of the motors will not get your belly up and over the top. There's also not a lot to grab onto on the Yahmaha I have.
Al your right about the motor being off... Lol
It's something I've always thought I wanted to try and now I know how difficult it really is. Moral of story is don't fall in and keep a life jacket that you can reach for or better wear it.
Bloo I don't know why anybody would give you any grief about being safe on the water, all they gotta do I try it like I did today. They'll realize how hard it is getting back in. I'm really thinking about figuring out something else such as those steps you slide out. Don't think they'll fit a Skeeter but there's gotta be something that can be done for better safety. I'm getting older and realizing I'm not as invincible as I once thought I was. I am 6'2" and only weigh 212 and in decent shape ( run 5 K's still) but this is not the life saver it is made out to be in the safety manuals. JMHO
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 02:34 AM

I've done it once.....just to prove I could do it. It is NOT something I ever want to do again, but, as a last resort I know I can. I have a smaller motor and I also have a boat with a large splash well and no jack plate. If it were the Skeeter I was on on today...I don't think it would be possible. At least the Skeeter has a pull out rope ladder....even if the talon is almost dead in the way.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 02:39 AM

Imagine trying to do that in January with several layers of clothes on. I'm glad you posted this and hope everyone takes it to heart, especially those like me that are getting a little age on them. I have a pull down ladder on my Phoenix and I don't think it would be a piece of cake getting back in the boat using that ladder.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: In water and riding motor up to re-enter boat. - 06/26/17 03:01 AM

I had a fold down ladder on back of my old Skeeter Wrangler and have one now on my Nitro. Both of them worked great!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum