Texas Fishing Forum

Sam Rayburn in July

Posted By: HaulinBass02

Sam Rayburn in July - 06/21/17 05:28 PM

My family and I are headed to the KOA in Brookeland on the southeast side of the lake the weekend after the 4th. I haven't been on Rayburn since I was a kid and just remember fishing over hydrilla and catching lots of fish!
Anyways, I planned on launching there at Mill Creek Park in town but not sure how well that will work out.
Talked to Corps office and you have to go thru gate which doesn't open until 9am.......that's a bit late IMO so is there anywhere else to launch right there in Brookeland? Map shows what looks to be a ramp off of 165 but it might be part of the Mill Creek park?
All that aside, what is the fishing like this time of year? Any areas I might hit up to make it a good trip without having to do TOO much hunting?

Thanks
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/21/17 07:03 PM

You can still launch there, you can either buy a state parks annual pass for $30 (good at all Texas parks) or there is a drop box near the launch (i thinks its $5), there is a gate to the left of the main entrance that is for the launch only, fish in that area in the grass, i had a really good weekend there this past weekend.
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 12:00 AM

+1
Posted By: BPP

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 12:41 AM

Mill Creek has a good ramp and it opens early. I used to stay at the KOA and I really enjoyed it. The couple running it are really nice. They just put in a new pool so they now have two. They have a laundry and store. The cabins are great but the beds are really bad so bring air mattresses.

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: BPP
Mill Creek has a good ramp and it opens early. I used to stay at the KOA and I really enjoyed it. The couple running it are really nice. They just put in a new pool so they now have two. They have a laundry and store. The cabins are great but the beds are really bad so bring air mattresses.

So is there a side entrance to the ramp or do I still have to go thru the gatehouse? Google maps looks like I can bypass the gate and drive straight to the ramp.....
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 02:08 AM

You can bypass the gate to launch
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 03:19 AM

This route is will be open.

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 03:46 AM

Ok, that's the one I figured was open. Got that all ironed out now.
Secondly, will I be able to find grass in pretty much all the coves in that area on that side of the lake? Is there any area over there that has been better than others or should I do pretty good all over there?
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/22/17 04:23 AM

I won't be the one to answer that question. I haven't been south of Veach in probably 4 years. I can tell you. I where on the lake has grass like you remember it back when. The hydrilla has made a big comeback in the last couple of years but nothing like the days of Farmers, Needmore and Buck Bay.

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/26/17 03:02 AM

According to the Navionics map, that area should have grass/hydrilla in a lot of places. So I hope the bite is on when we get down there here in a couple of weeks! I excited, haven't been there in so long, I hope it doesn't disappoint....
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/26/17 03:11 AM

the grass in rayburn is the
best i have seen it in years
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/26/17 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: HaulinBass02
According to the Navionics map, that area should have grass/hydrilla in a lot of places. So I hope the bite is on when we get down there here in a couple of weeks! I excited, haven't been there in so long, I hope it doesn't disappoint....
I wouldnt go by that its there but not like it used to be.

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/26/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Originally Posted By: HaulinBass02
I wouldnt go by that its there but not like it used to be.

If nothing else it should give me a good reference point to start though. It's the latest updated maps so hopefully they should have some good info on them!!

On a side note, I've not had the opportunity to fish over grass in years, I have NO idea how it will return on my 2D and DI units. What will it look like on the screen? Unless it is growing up where I can actually see it in the water how will I know I'm actually over a bed of hydrilla?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/26/17 05:13 PM

Most places you will find it, you will be able to see it in the water. Hard for me to explain but you will be able to tell what it is on your depth finder.
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: Sam Rayburn in July - 06/26/17 05:39 PM

The best grass (hydroplane) I have found on that end of the lake are in the creeks about 1/4 way back going up the ash bayou arm of the lake. You can see it mating up and comes out in about 12' of water. You can see it clearly down to about 4'. See what it looks like on your graph and you can find it when it is scattered. I have been catching fish from 1' all the way out. There is also a lot of hay grass down in that area. Work it fast until you get hooked up then back up 50 yards and work it hard for the next 100yrds. I have a place in that area and fish it very regularly. It has been paying off with good numbers but biggest only about 5-6lbs. If you need more info send me a private pm. I have already said to much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum