Texas Fishing Forum

Drop shot question

Posted By: high planes drifter

Drop shot question - 06/20/17 09:07 PM

Just started fishing using a drop shot rig and I absolutely love it. However, what can I do to help prevent or lessen all the line twist that keeps happening?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Drop shot question - 06/20/17 09:15 PM

Assuming that you are spooling the line on correctly and guessing that you are using a spinning reel/rod

15lb braid to a long leader of fluoro or copoly eliminates most of the line twist
Braid main line significantly improves sensitivity and eliminates the majority of the line twist

If you still have issues, consider a spin shot hook (the drop shot hooks with the built in swivel)
Posted By: high planes drifter

Re: Drop shot question - 06/20/17 09:18 PM

Thanks collincountytx. I'll give that a try.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Drop shot question - 06/20/17 10:01 PM

Buy the hooks with the swivel already added... they work great!
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Drop shot question - 06/20/17 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
Buy the hooks with the swivel already added... they work great!

Those work great if the water isn't crystal clear.

Couple weeks ago Pk was over 20' of visibility. I could tell a very big difference in bites on smaller hooks without the built in swivel vs the swivel hooks
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Drop shot question - 06/20/17 11:57 PM

bell weights woot
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 12:39 AM

15 lb braid to a floro leader.
Posted By: SK1

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 01:09 AM

Spinshot VMC dropshot hooks eliminate all line twist and 90% of your hookups will be in the top lip. You can thank me later.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 02:45 AM

plus 1 on the braid to floro leader rig. I use 30lb braid.. which is the same size as 10lb mono.. I use an improved Albright knot to connect the leader to the braid.. works great. I usually use about 10' piece of leader.. just because I get hung a lot and it keeps you from having to retie leader all the time. I've pretty settled in to a 3/8 oz weight just because of the wind.
Line twist still exists.. the braid just doesn't react to it like mono or floro line does by itself. I still drag my line sometimes when I go between spots. Take the hook and sinker off and let out a couple of casts worth of line at fast idle.. let it untwist and wind it back in.. good to go. Also.. wacky rigging isn't as bad for twist as nose hooking.

BD
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 04:55 AM

I use 10lb power pro braid hi vis yellow to a 20' 8lb Gamma Touch leader.
Use a 1/0 Owner rigging hook and some cheap cylinder style drop shot weights and you'll be set.
I've caught several fish over 8 on this setup without any problem.
Like Bill said above line test still exist but I find I catch more fish than with. The spin shot style looks. Just my 2cents
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 01:55 PM

Use a bait caster. That is what I do.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 02:58 PM

One other thing about line twist.. the majority of the line twist problem is coming from the nose hooked soft plastic. They spin like mad when you are winding in the bait to re-cast. yes.. spinning reels twist the line.. but nose hooking is what makes it much worse. Wacky rigging stops that.. but I'm not sure that wacky catches as many fish as nose hooking. Also the feel is totally different.. takes some getting used to.

BD
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 03:02 PM

If you are fishing 10 ft. or deeper, you are going to get twist. Doesn't matter if you use baitcasters or spinning. Braid helps. But as far as swivels and other gimmicks. Dont do it. Just your normal hook tied to line. Keeps your action more natural.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 03:46 PM

What Sinkey said is good advice.
I fish a drop shot in 25-30 ft most of the time.
I use 20 pound segaur smackdown braid with a fluorocarbon leader.
my rebarb dropshot hook tied directly to the leader.
I don't like swivels or the hooks that have them built in.
Posted By: LumberKat

Re: Drop shot question - 06/21/17 04:29 PM

If using a spinning rod/reel, you are going to get some line twist. At times, I have spooled the reel with braid and added a fluro leader using the Alberto Knot, but I prefer not to do this with my drop shot.

I prefer to minimize line twist by doing the following:
1.) Make sure you are spooling the reel correctly. All of my spinning reels add the line to the reel clockwise. I make sure the line is coming off of the spool counterclockwise when spooling.
2.) Add line conditioner to the line when spooling it. I will put the line conditioner on a cloth and run the line through the cloth when spooling for the first time and I periodically do this while fishing.
3.) Only fill the spool about 75% of the way full with line.
4.) When you are fishing, always close the bail of the reel by hand instead of closing it by turning the handle.
5.) If there is alot of slack in the line after the cast, close the bail, pull the rod tip back to try to eliminate the excessive slack, and let the line tick against the index finger of your off hand while reeling in the slack.
6.) If you start to get line twist in the line, it will only get worse as you fish. When you have the opportunity, clip the line at the hook, put your boat in idle, and let out a little more line than your normal cast. Idle for a 1/4 mile or so, stop your boat, reel in the line using line conditioner, and retie.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Drop shot question - 06/22/17 02:22 AM

I don't have any problem with line twist and I fish deep water quite a bit. It does develop a little twist over time but it has never caused a problem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum