Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex Spot Lock problems?

Posted By: tx2va07

Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/17 10:47 PM

The last couple of times I've been out, my Ultrex has lost spot lock multiple times. Does not do it every time, and when it does it seems like it will do it a couple of times in a row. Has anyone had this issue at all?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/17 10:55 PM

One trip....three times in a row. I found out the handle was getting blown into the pedal recess. Causing the pedal to cancel the lock.

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/17 10:58 PM

Hmm... I'll have to look for that next time, but don't think that was happening.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/17 11:23 PM

Yes I have had spot lock go off a couple of times on three different trips. I am going to recalibrate it the next time I am in the boat and see if that might help.

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/17 11:51 PM

Interesting. I will try that as well.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 12:59 AM

Never had that happen. Hope you get it resolved fast.
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 01:41 AM

I had this happen to me make sure the foot pedal has free movement if there is any thing underneath it it will cancel
Also watch for it canceling in the same spot when it is swinging left and right

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 03:56 AM

Ok, will do. Thanks
Posted By: mrdvant

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 04:06 AM

I can't afford that motor, but if one of you rich folk want to buy me one, I'll go out and use it a lot and let you know if I have the same problem.
Posted By: MikeW62

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 11:24 AM

They are very sensitive. When your spot lock is on if you touch any other part of the foot pedal it will cancel it also.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 12:55 PM

If it is very calm it will search a lot for the spot.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 01:10 PM

If the head or foot pedal have any restriction of free movement it will cancel spot lock. Make sure your cables at the head have plenty of slack.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 04:15 PM

I have 2 Ultrex.No problems with Spotlock so far. banana
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion 221 Elite
I can't afford one. Much less two! Must be nice! Willing to donate one? grin
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaguar6
Originally Posted By: Champion 221 Elite
I can't afford one. Much less two! Must be nice! Willing to donate one? grin

LOL, I am still waiting for someone to get an Ultrex and donate their Xi5 to me.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/04/17 06:18 AM

Sorry!I can't donate one,I have 2 boats!
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/04/17 06:29 AM

i've had it lose gps once or twice and it will quickly and violently correct itself
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 05/31/20 10:41 PM

Old thread but wanted to see how this got fixed, I’m having this same issue now and mine isn’t even a year old yet.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 05/31/20 10:55 PM

I has that same problem early on and I recalibrated the motor and it hasn't happened since then.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 05/31/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79
Old thread but wanted to see how this got fixed, I’m having this same issue now and mine isn’t even a year old yet.

Do you have a Skeeter?

Check the mounting of the foot peddle to make sure it doesn't hit the edge of the cup holder on the way down. If it does, shift it back in the footwell slightly and tighten!

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/01/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Originally Posted by Hook'em79

Do you have a Skeeter?

Check the mounting of the foot peddle to make sure it doesn't hit the edge of the cup holder on the way down. If it does, shift it back in the footwell slightly and tighten!

No sir, I have a Triton.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/01/20 12:38 AM

If the coiled cord gets wrapped up around the head and gets in a bind, it will cancel spot lock. That should not even happen, but it has done that twice on my Ulterra, both times on a very calm day when the trolling motor was hunting. As long as there is enough wind to get a directional bias, it does not seem to ever do that.

Wayne

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/01/20 11:12 AM

Was on cedar creek fishing champs when it did it. There was plenty of wind and water action.

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 10:43 AM

Bump, any help appreciated.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 01:20 PM

As others have said, every time I've had an issue with spot lock there has been some sort of obstruction near the peddle. It can appear intermittent, because the peddle will sometimes have to move a certain direction or a certain number of degrees before it hits the obstruction. Might work fine for 5 minutes, then the wind shifts a bit, the head moves a few more degrees, hits the obstruction and kicks it out of spot lock.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 02:40 PM

I have this happen fairly often. It's always been one of 3 things. 1. Something caught in the pedal like others have stated. 2. A very calm day where the motor is constantly moving back and forth. Not sure why but my ultrex does not like this situation and will sometimes just stop if it is having to constantly move to hold location. 3. Cables get wrapped around the shaft tight which is essentially the same thing as something getting caught in the pedal. It gives resistance so it stops. Its usually my network cable that does this. Unwind the cables and move on.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
If it is very calm it will search a lot for the spot.

this ^^^^^
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 04:02 PM

Check the GPS puck wires. ! black ground and 1 red. my red power wire was a little loose and I had weird spot lock gremlins. when I put it on a a proper terminal no more issues. I do use a foot pedal and concur with bumping it as well as a LINK remote and it hangs around my neck and I bump the touch serene sometimes i think and it cancels,

check the puck wires
Posted By: SkeeterB

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 04:21 PM

The puck or heading sensor contains a compass that detects your boat's heading and communicates it to your trolling motor to enable the Spot-Lock Jog feature, which lets you move your Spot-Lock location in 5 ft. increments in any direction. The puck is not the issue.

Make sure you check your system for updates. You can do this by checking on your remote and download new version if available. This usually fixes issues.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 05:59 PM

Moving the cables as someone on here told me to do fixed the spot lock problem now if I could only fix how noisy it is when it turns. Kind of wished I would have gone with the Motor Guide Tour.

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/02/20 06:40 PM

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

I check for obstructions and did not find any but I’ll check again.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Ultrex Spot Lock problems? - 06/03/20 10:24 PM

Mine does this sometimes, but only sometimes when I'm using the remote. For one reason or another it has never happened when I am not using the remote and I am just using the foot pedal
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum