Texas Fishing Forum

Ranger vs Phoenix?

Posted By: aggieman775

Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 03:16 PM

I have ridden in Rangers all of my life. I have never been in a Phoenix and I may not ever but I have heard good things about them. Those of you that have been in both what do you like better? I know the pros and cons of a Ranger but what about the Phoenix?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 03:18 PM

popcorn
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 04:22 PM

Never owned a Phoenix but have owned a Ranger. My take is they are both good boats and you buy the one you like and can afford. Both are well made and serve a purpose. I do thing Ranger's have better resale value though.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 04:31 PM

popcorn2
Posted By: mudd

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Never owned a Phoenix but have owned a Ranger. My take is they are both good boats and you buy the one you like and can afford. Both are well made and serve a purpose. I do thing Ranger's have better resale value though.

Both bout the same.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 05:43 PM

I have owned a 2012 Z522 and a 921 Phoenix. This is my comments, their is no boat that fishes as good as a Ranger once the trolling motor is down. The 22'4" Z522 spans the waves in high wind great and rode good but could beat you up if you hit a wave wrong. The 921 won't span as good as a Z522 but the re entry is really soft and will not beat you up so its easy on the back. The 921 doesn't fish as good as a Ranger but if the Ranger is a 10 on a 1-10 scale then the 921 is a 9-9.5. The lay out is close on the PHX and Ranger, the Pro XP is my favorite. The resale right now is as good on Phoenix as any brand out their because they are selling as quick as they can get them out. I think I heard the 921 is about 18-20 weeks now. They are not taking any new dealers right now because they cannot keep up. They are both good boats but their are difference in the two brands on most points. The Phoenix is a little cheaper for now but they are getting more expensive each year.

The Z522 was 22'4" long and weight 1940 pounds, the Phoenix 921 is 21'6" and weights 1950 pounds but the Z 522 ran about 67 fully loaded the 921 would run 75.

I like the 921 better it will be a better buy for now but that will change and the Phoenix may be the only brand that can sale as quick as a Ranger and resale will be as good or better because you can buy a new boat in the Phoenix and it will not lose as much money as others brands because of demand right now just not many used boats on the market in the Phoenix brand.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 05:46 PM

For resale,nothing beats a Ranger

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 05:53 PM

the 921 2012 model sold new for around 54-56 and sells today for low 40's the 721 sold new back then for around 45 it sells for around 40 today. I do not know of many brands out their that can say this. the brand is so new it out sold its expectations and the resale has been great and they sale as fast as Ranger because of wait time on new boats. We will see in coming years if this continues but its been great for the last few years. I agree Ranger for twenty years did out sale other brands but Phoenix has held their own against other boat brands and even Ranger. The Phoenix brand as amazed me in the fact you can have a boat that sold new a couple years back for 59-63 still brining 48-52 thats only 3-4 thousand lost per year not many brnads can do that. The 2014-15 are still in the low 50's to upper 40's even now
Posted By: mtannerworley

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 06:15 PM

You owe it to yourself to take a ride in a Phoenix. PM me if you want jump in my boat one day and take it for a spin, I run a 921.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
the 921 2012 model sold new for around 54-56 and sells today for low 40's the 721 sold new back then for around 45 it sells for around 40 today. I do not know of many brands out their that can say this. the brand is so new it out sold its expectations and the resale has been great and they sale as fast as Ranger because of wait time on new boats. We will see in coming years if this continues but its been great for the last few years. I agree Ranger for twenty years did out sale other brands but Phoenix has held their own against other boat brands and even Ranger. The Phoenix brand as amazed me in the fact you can have a boat that sold new a couple years back for 59-63 still brining 48-52 thats only 3-4 thousand lost per year not many brnads can do that. The 2014-15 are still in the low 50's to upper 40's even now

I don't have a dog in this fight (Yet) but i couldn't agree more, i have been looking at "New to me Boats" for the last 5 months, and Phoenix has a very good resale value, currently trying to work a deal on a 2012 721 for just a touch under 40k, that's a lot to be said for a 5 year old boat, NADA has this boat at average retail of 42k.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

I don't have a dog in this fight (Yet) but i couldn't agree more, i have been looking at "New to me Boats" for the last 5 months, and Phoenix has a very good resale value, currently trying to work a deal on a 2012 721 for just a touch under 40k, that's a lot to be said for a 5 year old boat, NADA has this boat at average retail of 42k.

yep 721 does better then any boat out there. The 2012- 721 would have sold new in the mid to upper 40's, for the boat to still NADA for 42 is amazing.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 09:30 PM

Reason Phoenix boats is holding value is because prize of boats have been going up.Not knocking Phoenix boats,been in boat business for years friends,but to be honest nothing beats the used price of Rangers,as long as boat prices keep rising used prices will stay up.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bbexotics
Reason Phoenix boats is holding value is because prize of boats have been going up.Not knocking Phoenix boats,been in boat business for years friends,but to be honest nothing beats the used price of Rangers,as long as boat prices keep rising used prices will stay up.

have other boat brands prices not gone up last few years like Phoenix. The base price for a 921 was 54,000 in 2012 its around 63,000 today thats about 9,000. The Z520 was in the 62,000 back then if they are in the 71,000 now its about the same. I do not believe their is a Ranger that sold for 45-47 in 2012 is still selling in the low 40's today like the 721 is.

Ranger is a great boat but resale isn't as far ahead of other brands as it once was.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 10:28 PM

Where can you find a fully loaded out 921 for 63k?

You can get a fully loaded z521c for 71,195
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
popcorn

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Where can you find a fully loaded out 921 for 63k?

You can get a fully loaded z521c for 71,195

I didn't say fully loaded, if you will look I said base price, time most people add everything it's about 69-73 depending on lots of stuff as you know. The 63 is Mercury Pro XS and 9 in dash 7 up from and 112. Time you add upgrade graphs,PP, Hydraulic Jack
plate you now have a 10-12 thousand added in.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 11:06 PM

Both will make you an outstanding boat. Go ride in both and I bet your personal preference will lean one way or the other. Its your money so buy what makes you happy. You gotta pay for it.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 11:22 PM

I looked at Ranger and Phoenix. I went with Ranger for the fit and finish....I couldn't get past the cheap looking plastic on the Phoenix console that looked exactly like my kids toy trucks the drive in the yard. Also got turned off by how the local Phoenix dealer denigrated brands they didn't sell when I asked simple questions for comparisons.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 11:30 PM

Those damn feather decals on the back of a pheonix should be enough to turn anyone off.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/28/17 11:50 PM

People in here makin' up stuff about resale values.
Posted By: Catfishd

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 12:02 AM

Have road in both and hands down Phoenix is a softer smoother ride in big water. And because of that I purchased a 2017 921 PHX. Big front deck and all the storage and more. My tournament partner owns a triton and I think they ride better than the Ranger. Phoenix is the hottest boat on the market right now. Hate all you want love this boat.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 12:08 AM

Those damn feather decals on the back of a pheonix should be enough to turn anyone off.

That's the only thing I know for sure I hate about them.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 02:43 AM

Can we also take this time to discuss how sensitive some Ranger owners are? Is now a good time?
Posted By: mudd

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Can we also take this time to discuss how sensitive some Ranger owners are? Is now a good time?

They by far get butt hurt the most
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 03:30 AM

Logically, which would be easier to sell in say 5-10 years?
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 03:54 AM

Never ridden in a Phoenix. On my second Ranger now bought a 2002 518 in 2005 for $20,900. Sold it 10 years later for $18,500. Hope to do similar with my current boat. Rangers hold their value.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: aggieangler03
Never ridden in a Phoenix. On my second Ranger now bought a 2002 518 in 2005 for $20,900. Sold it 10 years later for $18,500. Hope to do similar with my current boat. Rangers hold their value.

I bought a use Ranger that was 5 years old back in 09 and also paid 18500 and sold it for 21,000 but he was in a bind and needed to sale. When boats get in the 20 thousand range they all hold their value its when they are new when brands struggle.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: aggieangler03

That's pretty impressive
Posted By: kiamichisooner

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 12:57 PM

I went from Ranger to Phoenix. The Phoenx rides better but the Ranger is a little more stable. I give the Phoenix the slight edge though. We will see how the Ranger brand holds up since they are Nitro Sr. now.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 01:32 PM

roflmao bolt flehan stir

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 01:39 PM

All you need to know is every time someone wants to compare they always compare to a ranger. Nobody compares anything to a skeeter, a triton, a nitro, a pheonix, basscat, stratos, charger,Legend, it's always to a ranger. What does that tell you.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 02:07 PM

All you need to know is every time someone wants to compare they always compare to a ranger. Nobody compares anything to a skeeter, a triton, a nitro, a pheonix, basscat, stratos, charger,Legend, it's always to a ranger. What does that tell you.

Good point WAWI and the truth mostly because of the heritage of Ranger boats and the impeccable reputation of Forest Wood the founder. Very few people know who founded any of the other makes. The Pierce family of Bass Cat boats have a similar reputation. Forest Wood along with Ray Scott, were and still are the most responsible and deserve the most credit for the popularity of bass boats and bass fishing that we know today.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 02:52 PM

Ranger is good at marketing to the uneducated consumer?
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 03:46 PM

I don't know about marketing to the uneducated customer but I do know that in the used boat business there is a better resale market for ranger boats than the other brands.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Ranger is good at marketing to the uneducated consumer?

That kinda hurts my feelings Frank. How about the other manufacturers, do they do a good job too ? Can't recall I've ever seen any other boats advertised on fishing shows but Ranger and Skeeter. I've owned 2 of each. Dumb me.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 07:20 PM

Ranger - most expensive shower you an buy bolt

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 07:48 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 08:01 PM

Ranger is a great boat, never been in a bird boat, have heard good and bad, about the ride thing, how much time do you ride versus fish ? If the boat is 20-21 feet and not 20 years old it will ride fine ,unless someone does not know how to drive it. I figure in an 8 hour day you probably fish 7 of those, run open water maybe 30 minutes, idle another 30, so to me the layout , how the boat fishes, fit and finish, resale, looks, are all above how it rides.

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Ranger - most expensive shower you an buy bolt

Only time I got wet in mine was when it rained. I know how to use the trim button. thumb
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 08:49 PM

Ranger guys in the market for a new one, consider this one.

http://www.deckboats.com/fishing-boats/r...mate-dream-rig/
Posted By: kcb

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 09:37 PM

bolt
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 05/29/17 10:20 PM

Just buy 1 of each if you're a baller!
Posted By: Amazed@Falcon

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 10:57 AM

Where...I've been looking for weeks and both boats loaded are pushing $88k
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI

When I compare it's speed, speed, and more speed... And ride is a close 4th... Dan woot
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 12:50 PM

Phoenix IMO

I Ran Rangers for years until JM bought them.

Was not sure there was a better riding boat out there till I got in a Phoenix.
Posted By: Porter Dude

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 01:02 PM

I have owned multiple brand boats, and fished out out pretty much all of them.
My previous boat was a BC, now a Phoenix 721. I love the ride, and fishability is awesome.
I highly recommend them. One of the best rough water boats I have been in.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Amazed@Falcon

Well. Three years ago, WHEN THIS THREAD WAS GOING, boats cost less. Lol
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Amazed@Falcon

Well. Three years ago, WHEN THIS THREAD WAS GOING, boats cost less. Lol

That is what I was thinking! woot

Well it is almost 4 years old now so not a record for "Thread Resurrection" but it is getting there! popcorn2
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 02:23 PM

These damn threads crack me up
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 02:46 PM

Free shower with every Ranger/Nitro purchase.
Posted By: Ironworker

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 04:37 PM

I own a 2015 721 phx and a 2021 520L, there is pros and cons to both boats. Phoenix ride can not be beat hands down, my buddy has a 2019 921 and his boat rides rougher than the 721 but is smoother than ranger. I would rather fish out of the ranger and since I’m a tall guy I like the ranger taller seat height. My fishing partner has a 2019 520c and that boat is smoother and faster than the My L. If speed and smooth ride is what you want get a Phoenix my 721 will do 75mph loaded. 520L same load 2 people 68. Buddy’s 520c 72. But if you are wanting a better built boat it’s a ranger if going to trade off in couple years get a Phoenix. Phoenix has way to many screws that break or work out and if you fish big water you have to keep tightening and getting bigger screws to put in. Just my .02
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 05:04 PM

I'm pretty certain Phoenix never made a 721 PHX
Posted By: Ironworker

Re: Ranger vs Phoenix? - 02/25/21 05:17 PM

My bad since I spend more time fishing than posting I was referring to boat brand but it’s a 721 pro xp
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum