Texas Fishing Forum

school me on the shakeyhead.. presentation, tackle, etc.. Have at it!!

Posted By: hawkeye442

school me on the shakeyhead.. presentation, tackle, etc.. Have at it!! - 04/24/17 06:38 PM

I've learned so much from you guys, and there is still so much more to know!! I saw a lot of people this past weekend throwing a shakeyhead, and it was definitely working for those that appeared to know what they were doing.. I would like to get into this as well.. What say the forum?
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: school me on the shakeyhead.. presentation, tackle, etc.. Have at it!! - 04/24/17 06:58 PM

I love this presentation. Your gonna get alot of different opinions here but I like a ML rod-say 6'10-7 ft and 8-12 fluro leader on braid. I don't shake the bait much, just pull it in towards me 2-3 ft wait a bit, then pull it in again, all the way back to the boat. I much prefer baits that float-I use a baby rattlesnake by Grande Bass most all the time. Jighead is anywhere from 1/16 to 1/4 oz but 1/8 and 3/16 are what I use most of the time.

This will get you bit when the bass are passing up other offerings. Good luck.
Posted By: ThatOneBigKid

Re: school me on the shakeyhead.. presentation, tackle, etc.. Have at it!! - 04/24/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: kirbydog
I love this presentation. Your gonna get alot of different opinions here but I like a ML rod-say 6'10-7 ft and 8-12 fluro leader on braid. I don't shake the bait much, just pull it in towards me 2-3 ft wait a bit, then pull it in again, all the way back to the boat. I much prefer baits that float-I use a baby rattlesnake by Grande Bass most all the time. Jighead is anywhere from 1/16 to 1/4 oz but 1/8 and 3/16 are what I use most of the time.

This will get you bit when the bass are passing up other offerings. Good luck.

Agree with all of this. Only thing to add is, when dragging it back to the boat, if you feel the bait run into something hard (trees, bigger chunk rock, etc) pause the bait and shake it a bit. I have had good luck getting bit doing this. I feel that fish is following it and when the bait makes contact with the cover and then quivers subtly the fish just can't resist. The powerbait shaky snake is my favorite for this technique.

Good luck. Like always, there is no substitute for time on the water "practicing" and learning what works for you.
Posted By: JerryC

Re: school me on the shakeyhead.. presentation, tackle, etc.. Have at it!! - 04/24/17 11:11 PM

use as light jig head as you can stand waiting on it to sink, I like a trick worm with a 1/8 or 3/16 oz
owner ultra head.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: school me on the shakeyhead.. presentation, tackle, etc.. Have at it!! - 04/25/17 07:04 PM

I like a 6'8" medium spinning rod with a reel spooled with 30# braid and a 12 - 18" copolymer leader (12 lb.). I almost always use a 1/8 oz. Owner screw lock shaky head jig. Favorite plastics include 4" Yum dingers, Roboworms, Zoom finesse worms, and the smaller size beaver-style baits. I use a 1/8 oz. bullet weight and a 4/0 hook for the beaver style baits. For the retrieve, I usually use short hops of the bait back to the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum