Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling batteries HELP

Posted By: J.Chambers

Trolling batteries HELP - 03/31/17 12:39 PM

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to buy 3 new trolling batteries. I have a 101 fortrex. I can get a really good deal on the optima blue tops. My questions is who has experience with these and would they recommend them. I'm looking at either the the d34 or the d31?

Thanks for the help
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 03/31/17 12:59 PM

Any battery is only as good as the charger used to keep them ready. If you have a quality charger and leave it plugged in when not using the boat, any battery will last it's designed life span.

That said, abuse a blue top, or any optima for that matter, and it's an expensive lesson.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 03/31/17 01:18 PM

The Blue tops are the only batteries I use and I have been using them for years. Trolling and Cranking
Posted By: snickers

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 03/31/17 01:24 PM

I just went to Walmart. Less than 300 bucks I have new batteries. The batteries I pulled were 4 years old and I use them all the time. Started fishing Flw in 2003 and had one battery go bad in that span. I was in Del Rio at Amistad and at 4 am I got a new battery free of charge. Automotive was closed but the manager helped me out
Posted By: squib

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 03/31/17 01:35 PM

The only number to look at that matters for trolling motor batteries is reserve capacity. Those Optima's do not have a high reserve capacity. They may work for some people but I would try to get 200 RC batteries at least if you fish full days and you fish in the wind. 225s are even better.

The Optima Blue top D31M battery has an RC of 155.
Trojan SCS 225 battery has an RC of 225.

Now, the Trojans do require maintenance, but I'll check my water every once in a while if it means I don't run out of juice on the lake.
Posted By: DFWBass

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/03/17 08:05 PM

+1 for Walmart Batteries. I've been using them for 15 years and they don't cost that much!!!!!!
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/03/17 09:11 PM

Same as mentioned above, optimas are quality batteries, but their RC and Amp Hours aren't very good. On the cheap side there are things like wal mart batteries and exides at academy that have good 100 amp hour 200 RC ratings. Or if you like AGMs like the optimas are, I know exide makes their group 31 with 200RC. Also Duracell I think makes a big AGM. A couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting. But go big!
Posted By: TX Cranker

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/07/17 04:22 PM

I switched to those Duracell AGMs (Deka). World of difference. Batteries and Bulbs stores have a decent price on them.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/07/17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Cranker
I switched to those Duracell AGMs (Deka). World of difference. Batteries and Bulbs stores have a decent price on them.

I bought mine at Sams. First time to be out with them.
Posted By: bass cowboy

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/07/17 07:48 PM

I ran optimas several years ago and they would run down on a real windy day. I didn't think they were any better than cheaper batteries.

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: coachallentca
Originally Posted By: TX Cranker

I bought mine at Sams. First time to be out with them.

Sams in TX wasn't stocking them when I was looking. Good to know that. Which Sams did you buy at?
Posted By: 9094

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: J.Chambers
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to buy 3 new trolling batteries. I have a 101 fortrex. I can get a really good deal on the optima blue tops. My questions is who has experience with these and would they recommend them. I'm looking at either the the d34 or the d31?

Thanks for the help

If you can get a good deal on optima blue tops get them.
Mine are going on 6 years now and still going strong.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 02:09 AM

I have had the best luck with Interstate batteries, but I may try those walmart batteries in the future.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 09:32 AM

I have always had GOOD luck with Walmart, they run all day and I save some $$$.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 11:06 AM

+ 50 on Walmart battery's . Remember, like everything else in Walmart, it's not made by Walmart . They only sell it and warranty it and they do a good job of it. If you maintain and use as directed they will last as long as others and at a reasonable price.
Posted By: Eddie201

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
+ 50 on Walmart battery's . Remember, like everything else in Walmart, it's not made by Walmart . They only sell it and warranty it and they do a good job of it. If you maintain and use as directed they will last as long as others and at a reasonable price.

I just replaced all 3 of my trolling batteries from Walmart. The manufacture date on the stickers........3/10. Definitely got my moneys worth out of them!
Posted By: Bassin Fever

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 02:11 PM

I switched to Optima and am going on three years and they have the same kick as when they were new. I hope to get a lot more years out of them. I used to use Walmart and about three years was all I ever seemed to get from them.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/08/17 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Eddie201
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I just replaced all 3 of my trolling batteries from Walmart. The manufacture date on the stickers........3/10. Definitely got my moneys worth out of them!

Just replaced my starting battery last week. It had a sticker 4/09. Everstart max 65n. Agree with having a quality charger. I have a Minnkota 3 bank 10 amps per bank.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/09/17 12:33 AM

I think most are about the same, I've tried many many brands.
Keep 'em charged and maintained.
Posted By: cg203

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/09/17 03:34 PM

I tried optima batteries one year back when Cabelas sold them, but ended up having issues with them. I've tried walmart batteries, but had to replace one within a year, and another at the beginning of the next season. I have now used interstate batteries for about 10 years, and couldn't be happier with them. I can get 3-4 years out of them before they start having problems. If you charge them when you get back from the lake, and maintain them about once a month, they will not give you any problems for a long time. I won't spend my time or money on anything but Interstate.
Posted By: Big 10 Inch

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/10/17 01:31 AM

I was a fan of Trojan batteries for a long time, but after several batteries not lasting and then being out of production when I went to replace them I switched to Optima's about 5 years ago. My optima's have performed as expected. They are still in my boat. BUT they do not have the power that they did when they were new. I find myself using between 70-100% of my trolling motor power at the BEGINNING of the day! By the end of the day I am using 100% of my trolling motor power and I am just crawling along. I am fixing to replace all of my batteries and DEKA AGM's are what I am going to use.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/10/17 03:23 AM

I just put new 31 class Exide AGM 200 RC in my boat . $229.99 each + tax at Academy. Take your old ones in wherever you ho for core charge. Places are charging $12 to $22 core charge nowadays.

Re: Trolling batteries HELP - 04/21/17 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Big 10 Inch
I was a fan of Trojan batteries for a long time, but after several batteries not lasting and then being out of production when I went to replace them I switched to Optima's about 5 years ago. My optima's have performed as expected. They are still in my boat. BUT they do not have the power that they did when they were new. I find myself using between 70-100% of my trolling motor power at the BEGINNING of the day! By the end of the day I am using 100% of my trolling motor power and I am just crawling along. I am fixing to replace all of my batteries and DEKA AGM's are what I am going to use.

The Duracells are rebranded Deka AGMs and you can get them cheaper.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum