Texas Fishing Forum

Center Console vs. Bass Boat

Posted By: OldStratos

Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:39 AM

Everyone help me with my thinking. I love to bass fish and might get my kids involved in the high school tournament trails. I also like to chase stripers, run the rivers for sandies, and catfish. We live in North Texas. I'm really thinking about dumping my older 20' bass boat and buying a 24' center console. Probably will be a Bluewave, but there are a few others I might consider (Skeeter, Ranger, etc.). Have a lost my mind? hammer

Let me know what you think. I'm sure there is something I haven't considered.
Posted By: Statton48

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:47 AM

. I'd stick with bass boat if your going to help your son and teach him. Buy you a cheap river boat with a 25 and you can do the rest. I actually started bass fishing out of a allweld with a 25....but my bass boat is way better now.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:50 AM

I have a buddy that just bought a cc last year and he loves it. He has no problems bass fishing out of it at all.

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:54 AM

That's what I'm thinking. The Bluewave has low profile and I've got to think it will bass fish just as good as a large bass boat. Wind might push it around a little more, but think of all the upside I get.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:55 AM

If you are going to do both, cc is perfectly fine to bass fish out of
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 03:35 AM

I made the switch and very happy so far. Sold my bass boat and bought a 19ft Kenner. I'm pretty heavy into bassing and I like to saltwater fish as well. I've got the best of both worlds for me. My CC does great when bass fishing. I'd do it.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 03:41 AM

I have a 22' Skeeter CC.

I have no regrets whatsoever. i can fish any way and anywhere that anyone can fish in a bass boat.

Not as fast as a bass boat but plenty fast enough for me. Big livewell, and lots of room for gear when i take my buddies along.

Can comfortably ride around and fish with my family of four or ride around with up to 6 people.

If I had no kids, i would probably prefer a bass boat.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 05:20 AM

If that's the route you want you want to go I highly recommend you take a look at the Pathfinder 2200 Tournament series. Yes it's not 24 but it is amazing for a 22. Family just got one last year and it was between it and a bluewave. Hands down the Pathfinder won it for us. Rigged with a 250 SHO, 2 10' Blades, Atlas JP, and Trim Tabs this boat is on plane extremely quick and in less than 2' of water. Wind doesn't catch it and blow it around due to fairly low sides and it will run 60+ with 2 people in it. I've used it a handful of times bass fishing when my Champion is in the shop and I have zero complaints with it.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 12:52 PM

I went to a 22' Majek Xtreme from a bass boat and went back to a bass boat. I loved it but it wasn't ideal for LMB fishing. Main thing was not enough storage and it's tough to fish in the wind. I only fished one tournament in it and lost what looked to be a healthy fish in the livewell too. That may have been my fault though.
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 12:58 PM

I have had a center console for 8 years and it has been great for all kinds of fishing. Lacks a few of the comforts of a bass boat, for bass fishing, but makes up for it in versatility.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 01:04 PM

I have both, a 18ft Ranger and 22' Nitro Bay Boat, the Center console is simply not good on a windy day. Other than that one knock, I like fishing out of the center console, just so much more room. It tend to do more Crappie fishing out of the bay boat.

Posted By: JFGloor

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 01:14 PM

I have a pure bay 2000. You are spot on with being pushed around in the wind. However I still get the job done. I 99% of the time bass fish. The rest is a few crappie trips a year and maybe 1-2 salt water trips a year. But most every week it sees freshwater once or twice chasing bass. The wind can be a little tougher to fish, it gets pushed plus having a hand control. But it is more versatile for other types of fishing and entertaining family and friends. I really like the Blue Wave layouts and storage areas my 20' has plenty I bet the 24' would be amazing.
Posted By: BlueWave13

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:52 PM

Several great posts. I run a Blue Wave Pure Bay 2200 powered with Suzuki 225 four-stroke (quiet and fuel effecient). On the water 150 plus days a year. I ran bass boats for several years. Switched to CC for several reasons: Seemed always climbing up in bass boat, CC everything is elevated and easier to move around, back doesn't hurt at the end of the day, CARPET! CC no carpet (easy to clean). Rough water not as big an issue. Dry ride, lot of room and storage. Some things to consider: trolling motor with spot lock 112# with remote (control from anywhere in the boat), trim tabs, atlas vertical lift for flats and skinny water, T-top for Texas sun (will save trips in summer)
Boat has a shallow draft: We've had it in the grass and road beds on Ray Roberts in a foot of water, had it in the sticks chasing crappie, had it in the big water, heavy winds catching stripers and whites, been in back of creeks at Broken Bow, Fork, Ray Roberts, Texoma.
Negatives: Had a few bridges I couldn't get under due to flood waters, forgot to take rods out of rocket launchers on T-top a few times, yep, lost a lot of line, lures, and a few rods.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 02:57 PM

You may want to look into something like this. I had this boat several years back, and it was a fun little boat.
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 03:58 PM

I fish a 19 ft center console and do more bass fishing than salt these days. the difference I see is in storage. that being said, i am a huge fan of being able to fish sabine, the jetties, galveston bay, fayette, conroe, livingston, etc with the same boat.

I am limited somewhat with live well capacity, but all in all it works for me.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey

You may want to look into something like this. I had this boat several years back, and it was a fun little boat.

This is very similar to my buddy's boat. He has twin poles on it and has added hydro turf to it.

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueWave13
Several great posts. I run a Blue Wave Pure Bay 2200 powered with Suzuki 225 four-stroke (quiet and fuel effecient). On the water 150 plus days a year. I ran bass boats for several years. Switched to CC for several reasons: Seemed always climbing up in bass boat, CC everything is elevated and easier to move around, back doesn't hurt at the end of the day, CARPET! CC no carpet (easy to clean). Rough water not as big an issue. Dry ride, lot of room and storage. Some things to consider: trolling motor with spot lock 112# with remote (control from anywhere in the boat), trim tabs, atlas vertical lift for flats and skinny water, T-top for Texas sun (will save trips in summer)
Boat has a shallow draft: We've had it in the grass and road beds on Ray Roberts in a foot of water, had it in the sticks chasing crappie, had it in the big water, heavy winds catching stripers and whites, been in back of creeks at Broken Bow, Fork, Ray Roberts, Texoma.
Negatives: Had a few bridges I couldn't get under due to flood waters, forgot to take rods out of rocket launchers on T-top a few times, yep, lost a lot of line, lures, and a few rods.

Great feedback. What is your take on 2400 over the 2200?

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 05:59 PM

Great feedback everyone.

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 06:39 PM

Two weeks ago on Texoma wind shifted from NW, wasn't waves it was swelling. That day I would have like to have had the extra 2 feet. Other than that, both about the same. I think with 2400 you will still be able to get into the back waters, creeks, and timber. Boats are easy to get around in. Also think if you are going to kids in the boat, its kid safe and friendly. Lot of room and deep.

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueWave13
Two weeks ago on Texoma wind shifted from NW, wasn't waves it was swelling. That day I would have like to have had the extra 2 feet. Other than that, both about the same. I think with 2400 you will still be able to get into the back waters, creeks, and timber. Boats are easy to get around in. Also think if you are going to kids in the boat, its kid safe and friendly. Lot of room and deep.
Does your 2200 have the center riser (elevated area under seats and console? You have the cyclone seats? Thoughts on each appreciated. :-)

Re: Center Console vs. Bass Boat - 03/30/17 11:35 PM

Have the elevated adjustable seats. Underneath is room for cooler. Came with marine igloo. Replaced with yeti. Recommend these seats. No fishing seat in back due to huge live well. Seat spin 360 and adjustable
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum