Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad spawn

Posted By: heb-bass

Amistad spawn - 02/27/17 04:55 AM

Now that Champs is over, does anyone have any info about if the spawn has started down there? Also, any help on patterns, headed down there next week. I don't have a lot of time to fish unfortunately, so any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: Dale Griffin

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/27/17 12:49 PM

Small fish moving up water temps have been 59 to 62 where I've been looking.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/27/17 09:50 PM

Is Mexico side or California warmer typically?
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/27/17 11:32 PM

I think you are confused.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/27/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: heb-bass

Lol

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/27/17 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
I think you are confused.

Maybe you are lol.

California is one of the main spawning arms of the lake.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 12:07 AM

I can't believe anybody that fishes Amistad didnt know what California creek was.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 12:36 AM

I honestly haven't ran over there. But being military I'm not allowed to the Mexican side sadly. Warmest water I had found was outside of Blackbrush.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 12:56 AM

I can post the water temps up the Rio, but it will be a few days. I don't have phone service up in Box canyon and that's where I'm staying.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:05 AM

It ranged from 60-63* in California creek in Saturday and saw some fish cruising shallow.
Posted By: 21elite

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:21 AM

21XS, California Creek??? Hmmmm, lol

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: 21XS
21XS, California Creek??? Hmmmm, lol

It was a last ditch effort at the end of the day!! Still didn't catch a dam thing in there!

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:45 AM

Thought maybe you was lost !
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:47 AM

He said is Mexico side or California warmer. I didn't see creek anywhere in that question . And as a matter of fact I know Amistad just fine . Won Champs out there this weekend. Wish I knew the lake as good as you Grout. I will let you help this guy out.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 21XS
Thought maybe you was lost !

I'm always lost.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:58 AM

You catch em this evening ?

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 02:00 AM

Nope, this place is a beating right now, every one at the ramp said it was terrible for the last few days so I think I'm fixed to make a road trip.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 02:02 AM

East or south ?

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 02:05 AM

Prolly south, not near as crowded down that way.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 02:06 AM

Saturday was good to me then Sunday was good until that cloud cover ran out. Seems like once the sun came out the fish just left for me.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: heb-bass

So you were asking if an entire side [ Mexico ] of the lake was warmer than 1 creek on the US side? Ok now I get it.. hmmm
Posted By: beastbeason

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 03:45 AM

I'm headed down Wednesday thru the weekend. Haven't fished Amistad for 10 years. Hopefully the fish will be cooperative.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 01:09 PM

Out of box midday water temp upriver 65-66 deg. Yes they are moving up. Historically the Mx side is warmer and the further you go upriver gets warmer this is why it gets more fishing pressure. California Crk is on the US side just north of Castle Canyon. Off color water small cruisers. Seeing beds all over mx side from Zorro to Z-bend.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 03:18 PM

Fished this past weekend, good flipping bite and good crankbait bite, fish are everywhere. If your not getting a bite every 10 for 15 minutes you not around them.

Pay attention to the bottom your catching your fish on. I have found them on p-gravel, big rock, and the bare bottom with little to know roughness. Lots of big females cruising. I will say this, the clarity of the water makes a 8lb er look 12 lb or better, was a little shocked when I lipped a 8lb in the boat this weekend, I saw this fish in the water while I was reeling it in, I thought I'd hooked into a SAL when she was racing through the bushes trying to wrap me around anything she could.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 10:26 PM

Water at Box was 65, saw a few beds; but not many.

Re: Amistad spawn - 02/28/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
He said is Mexico side or California warmer. I didn't see creek anywhere in that question . And as a matter of fact I know Amistad just fine . Won Champs out there this weekend. Wish I knew the lake as good as you Grout. I will let you help this guy out.

Quit being a baby because you didnt understand what he meant. No, it wasn't the most poetically questioned asked, wasn't that hard to understand though.

You only won champs because I don't fish it.

Re: Amistad spawn - 03/01/17 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info fellow tff'rs. It sounds like some of you are down there quite a bit, if you wouldn't mind giving updates over the next week that'd be awesome. I love hearing everyone's stories- as everyone fishes a little differently. Thanks again guys!

Re: Amistad spawn - 03/02/17 07:48 PM

Getting lots of 14 inch up shallow on sencos. Also finding bigger fish on creek bends with drop shots.

Re: Amistad spawn - 03/06/17 05:27 PM

Any updates from this past weekend? Thanks in advance guys!

Re: Amistad spawn - 03/06/17 06:02 PM

Fished coves near marker 5 headed up the Rio side. Seeing beds 5-8 feet. Averaged 30+ a day in the 13-15 inch range on the first breaks. Found bigger fish a bit deeper. Found good dropshot bite 15-25 on steep creek bends for bigger fish, both small and largemouth. Heard from one angler cranking 15-18 on points worked well. Have fun. Water temps varied between 61-63.

Re: Amistad spawn - 03/06/17 06:04 PM

Oh watermelon red sencos and jerk baits.

Re: Amistad spawn - 03/11/17 12:58 AM

Headed that way- any updates?

Thanks to those that have already posted!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum