Texas Fishing Forum

lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer?

Posted By: Bigmill

lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 08:44 PM

I am looking to relocate, and looking at lake front homes on either Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain.....My points of interest are which is better for fishing, amount of Tournaments occurring on each lake, and general opinions of either or both lakes would be a place you'd call home. Thanks.
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 08:53 PM

Eagle Mountain
Posted By: Darryl Roach

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 09:03 PM

Eagle Mountain has a lot of tournaments. Tues and Friday night working mans as well.
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 09:42 PM

You would be a lot closer to other homes/docks on EM. You could find a place on Ray Hubbard and get a good spot with lots of room. Ray Hubbard is also bigger so tournaments dont effect that much. I love Ray Hubbard so out of those I would choose there
Posted By: RL206

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 09:47 PM

Ray Hubbards water level can fluctuate making it hard to get in and out of a boathouse or dock, if you plan on having one.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 09:56 PM

Eagle Mountain
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 10:35 PM

Ray Hubbard is more known for it's white/hybrid bass fishing, but can be a good largemouth lake as well. During the summer it's very, very recreational and there can be a lot of pleasure boating, skiing and partying. It also has the harbor in Rockwall where you can dock your boat and hit several restaurants and Bass Pro on the Garland side. There is also a huge development being built on the lake at Dalrock that is supposed to have hotel, restaurants, crystal lagoon and all kinds of entertainment.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 10:41 PM

Rockwall is way over crowded and getting more so every day. Traffic is a PIA.

You can have a boat house, but as mentioned above there are very few areas with medium depth water, much less any deep water access.

I would guess you cannot touch a lake front piece of property in Rockwall or Heath for less than $250k.

I've never been on Eagle Mountain so I cannot comment on the lake, property or living conditions in that area.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/06/17 10:47 PM

EM I hate the traffic around Hubbard.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

You can have a boat house, but as mentioned above there are very few areas with medium depth water, much less any deep water access.

I would guess you cannot touch a lake front piece of property in Rockwall or Heath for less than $250k.

I've never been on Eagle Mountain so I cannot comment on the lake, property or living conditions in that area.

250k? You are sleeping in a tent at that price.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 10:02 AM

Neither one would be my top 2 choices

I would expand my choices if possible.

Are you retired? Work from home? Commute to work?

Lake Bonham is pretty cool and looks like a East Texas lake and you build on the water.
Posted By: Cole P

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 01:55 PM

First off, Ray Hubbard doesn't really have traditional "lake houses" like most of our other lakes, and the scenery is nothing to boast about by any means. The only thing Ray Hubbard really has to offer is close proximity to where most people go to work, school, entertainment, etc. Ray Hubbard is a good bass lake, me and my buddy have caught about a dozen over 5 lbs this month with a 7, 8, and 9 lber. It took us about a year to figure the lake out and it's pretty tough of you ask most people.

If it was me deciding I would be looking at lakes either further east on I-30, further east on I-20, or further south on HWY 45 South. Most of the lakes (especially) East Texas lakes, are so much more beautiful and offer fantastic fisheries.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: TdRoss
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

250k? You are sleeping in a tent at that price.

I am pretty sure he is referring to raw land, obviously not lakefront with a home for that price.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 06:20 PM

I know.. I'm just giving Doug a hard time.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 07:20 PM

Between the two if looking for a true lake house not Hubbard. If looking for a really nice house but expensive then Hubbard. If I were looking for a lake house and had a few years to wait might wait for Bois D'Arc to get built. It will be close to Bonham, if not needing to be close to DFW then Bob Sandlin, Cyress Springs or Athens. Donl't really know much about Eagle Mountain.
Posted By: FW_Tom_H

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 09:03 PM

If you want to have a boat dock at your house where you keep your boat, Eagle Mountain is the way to go. I live about a quarter mile off EM and there are no shortage of homes on the water with private docks attached.
Posted By: rooster tail

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/07/17 10:17 PM

Neither for me. Id rather be close to TB and Sam Rayburn.
Posted By: GROD

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 12:58 AM

EM, and if you need a partner let me know... I live in lake country estates on the south end of the lake.. not lake front by any means but really close. Lake front with house and dock starts around 550,000 on the south end (will need upgrades) of the lake and goes up to multi million for some. Many friendly people in the area too.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD
EM, and if you need a partner let me know... I live in lake country estates on the south end of the lake.. not lake front by any means but really close. Lake front with house and dock starts around 550,000 on the south end (will need upgrades) of the lake and goes up to multi million for some. Many friendly people in the area too.

+1 I live a quarter mile from the ramp and across the street from the lake front homes.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: TdRoss
I know.. I'm just giving Doug a hard time.

I wish I had T Ross money I would live in one of those Heath Estates laugh
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 03:03 AM

Both are carp lakes
But I would choose Em over Ray Hubbard any day

You can get on Worth even cheaper with just as many comforts
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 12:20 PM

Which ever one has less pleasure boater traffic
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jobie99
Which ever one has less pleasure boater traffic

I've never been on EM so I may be talking a little out of my arse....but I can't imagine it has more pleasure traffic than Hubbard. The amenities such as the Harbor with the restaurants and Hooters and Primo's on the water on the Garland side...Hubbard has become a party lake in the summer. This is all on the south end of the lake. If you're fishing the south end of the lake in the summer you better be off the water by 11 or risk getting run over by cigarette boats, wakeboarding boats and jet skis. The only good thing is there is plenty of eye candy!!!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rooster tail
Neither for me. Id rather be close to TB and Sam Rayburn.

+ 1000, far away from DFW as possible.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 01:09 PM

I'd pick eagle mountain.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 06:11 PM

If you could find some where on the north end of Hubbard it wouldn't be so bad.
Posted By: LONE STAR RV&STORAGE

Re: lake home search...Ray Hubbard or Eagle Mountain....which would you prefer? - 02/08/17 07:03 PM

Ray Hubbard
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum