Texas Fishing Forum

6 Gill Fishing

Posted By: Stickchunker

6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 12:15 PM

I posted this over in another section, zero response...

Has anyone ever used any of the 6 Gill Reels?
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 02:18 PM

Been curious about them as well but haven't got to personally check them out myself. Interested in seeing what others think.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 02:42 PM

I have two of them. Don't care much for them either. Seems not much oil and I've blown out one set of reel bearing already after minimal use. Don't try to use heavy braid like on a frog rod you will blow out the bearings. I have one in the boat as a back up and the other in the closet.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 02:43 PM

I have a friend that bought me a spinning reel from them. I haven't seen him this year yet, so i don't know about the quality. He bought a baitcaster from them and spooled it up and went out to Fairfield last weekend. He said that he put a good # in the boat and a couple of nice chunks mixed in as well. He said that he liked the reel, but that is the only report that I know I can trust.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER
I have two of them. Don't care much for them either. Seems not much oil and I've blown out one set of reel bearing already after minimal use. Don't try to use heavy braid like on a frog rod you will blow out the bearings. I have one in the boat as a back up and the other in the closet.

I read a review yesterday, a fella took his a apart the day he got it, cleaned out all of the factory grease, and re-greased with "Reel Butter", seems like a lot of work for a new reel, but to each his own.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER

I read a review yesterday, a fella took his a apart the day he got it, cleaned out all of the factory grease, and re-greased with "Reel Butter", seems like a lot of work for a new reel, but to each his own.

I know a lot of guys who do this with a new reel, regardless of brand.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 04:09 PM

Never heard of them.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/02/17 08:32 PM

I think they opened a showroom in Southlake. May be where they are from also.
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/03/17 02:20 AM

I'm not a fan. I bought a couple of the bait casters. They didn't hold up well with very little action.
They did replace one of them due to breakage.
Posted By: Vette1125

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/03/17 03:30 AM

I have two, not my favorite. BPS Pro quals are much better quality for less the price, and they are a much smoother reel.
Posted By: thefuzz

Re: 6 Gill Fishing - 02/03/17 01:52 PM

I have 2, one is a Hyperion 7/0/1 and the other is Crius. I had issues with one and they replaced it no questions asked. They were running a sell and i got two for the price of one. As far as the quality of the reels, they seem well built so far to me. I through my hyperion on a T-rig set up with 18# sunline and havent had any issues. I will be putting the crius on a crank or trap as they are supposedly supposed to "cast a mile". The reels look bad [censored], come with different grips too. If you catch em on a sale i think theyre worth it. And there customer service has been pretty good in my opinion. The brake system is a lot like a shimano but its an easier set up to adjust imo. I think they are a decent mid range reel, and if they hold up i may just buy a couple more.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum