Texas Fishing Forum

Best Tackle Shop in Texas?!

Posted By: NTXBankFishing

Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 01:52 PM

\

I think so..
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 02:16 PM

Anglers Pro Tackle in NRH or Brannan's in Powderly.
Posted By: Thecrankster

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 02:19 PM

Fishing Tackle Unlimited Houston
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 02:37 PM

The Shop inside Fun-N-Sun in Hurst is pretty darn good. APT in NRH. Sure wish Smitty's was still open.
Posted By: the catcher

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:00 PM

Fishin' World 4402 W Lovers Lane Dallas Carries great selection of rods and reels. For example St Croix, Dobyns, Falcon rods; Lews, Shimano, Daiwa reels and a huge selection of tackle, plastics, hard baits, etc. The owner can usually get anything you want if he doesn't have it in stock.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:04 PM

I went to the Boat and Tackle show at Fun-N-Sun a few weeks back. i was surprised how big the selection of tackle was in their shop. Brannan's in Powderly is also pretty nice as is APT. I've got a place on Sandlin, maybe once or twice a year when the weather is bad I drive up to Brannan's to look around (OK and buy some tackle). They have the largest selection of Zoom products and colors I have ever seen. I eat at the little Mom and Pop restaurant a few doors down. It's called Borderline Cafe. They are only open for lunch and dinner and I think they are closed Sunday and maybe Monday. Good food!

I'm with Bass N Beer, wish Smitty's was still open. Bad part of town but the selection was huge.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:16 PM

Anglers Pro Tackle! if they don't have it, they will get it!
Posted By: evolution44

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:22 PM

Always been a fan of Barlow's.
Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:31 PM

Good times in Smitty's wish it was still open
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:36 PM

Going to be a regional thing. So far, everything mentioned is around the metromess. Except FTU which is in Houston. I'd bet Ann's Tackle would get the nod around Rayburn and Toledo. Falcon Lake Tackle down south.

The bottom line is the best isn't even in Texas. It's Tackle Warehouse. They have EVERYTHING and, if you spend more than $50, which most of us do, shipping is free. And no sales tax.
Posted By: knotgood

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:38 PM

Tommy's Tackle Box in Eustace. By far the best and he is very helpful.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 03:57 PM

This website is made up of 75% north Texas fisherman so that's going to be the majority of the responses. For me it's Tackle Addict. And for the folks coming to Sam Rayburn, in just a few weeks yall will see why when the new store opens.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 04:16 PM

Tackle Addict has to be in the conversation.
New location is just a little over a week from opening right now.

https://www.facebook.com/KeithCombsFishing/videos/1400604156651554/

For large purchases it is still hard to beat Tackle Warehouse because like Fouz said, no sales tax.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 04:20 PM

ANYTHING but Academy!
Posted By: MTH82

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 04:25 PM

Fishin' World in Dallas, by far.
Most knowledgeable staff and wide selection.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 04:40 PM

Anglers pro and falcon lake tackle have had the biggest selection I've seen so far. Fun n sun is pretty good. I wasent to impressed with the selection at fishing world
Posted By: Acuna

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 04:46 PM

Austin sucks for independent tackle stores. If Anglers Pro Tackle or Tackle Addict wanted to open a store in Austin, it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Posted By: Murrydog

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 04:53 PM

Falcon Lake Tackle
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:04 PM

Falcon Lake tackle!

Cheers, cheers

George
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Going to be a regional thing. So far, everything mentioned is around the metromess. Except FTU which is in Houston. I'd bet Ann's Tackle would get the nod around Rayburn and Toledo. Falcon Lake Tackle down south.

The bottom line is the best isn't even in Texas. It's Tackle Warehouse. They have EVERYTHING and, if you spend more than $50, which most of us do, shipping is free. And no sales tax.

+1 On the first comment and I agree that TW has just about everything but ALL my orders in the last several months have been screwed up. I do eventually get my order but it's taken longer than I paid for every time!
Posted By: bayesj

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:16 PM

Rick and his staff have always been helpful, I'd vote for Angler's Pro Tackle.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:26 PM

For me, it's Tackle Addict in Onalaska and soon to be shop at Rayburn. Cant wait for that one to open!!
Posted By: jroush

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:31 PM

If you're ever up north of DFW Pond King is a great shop located in Lindsey. Lots of good stuff.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: jroush
If you're ever up north of DFW Pond King is a great shop located in Lindsey. Lots of good stuff.

Best selection of really nice, high end and hard to find bass fishing lures.
They are overflowing with plastics and hard baits up there (taking over two buildings)
Posted By: FishVibesTv

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:42 PM

Brannan's bass shop!! This is footage from last April! They have added a few things since then!
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:45 PM

Brannan's north of Paris/ Oak Ridge @ Fork / TW is where 90 % of my tackle comes from..Just my 2cents
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE

Aint that the truth
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE

And The Fishing Store. I grew up in Oak Cliff with Jimmy Smith and just about lived at Smittys but then as I grew up I moved to Garland and spent about as much time at The Fishing Store. Both great places as well as the guy (I think his name was George) who had the place there off of 175 where we used to get all of the Zoom stuff.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 09:15 PM

I am pretty partial to Angler's Pro Tackle myself.
Posted By: Dad2rlkm

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 09:18 PM

I "third" the comment about Pond King in Gainesville. Their store is top notch. You'll be surprised at the size of the store and the huge inventory. The tackle side of the business is branching out as Lake Pro Tackle. Great folks.
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 09:50 PM

Anglers Pro Tackle. I don't get over there often but they usually have what I'm looking for when I do. Nice folks too.
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 10:03 PM

I think it was called The Bass House right off of 35 in lake Dallas was my favorite growing up... Now my favorite is Academy. How times have changed!
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 10:31 PM

The Bass House was great , along with Hookers in Lewisville
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 11:03 PM

My favorites were Smitty's in Oak Cliff and the Fishing Store in Garland. Joe Axton had a store in Mesquite that was ok. Most all the mom and pop stores are gone so in my area is either BPS or Academy. Both serve the purpose.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork Nights
Brannan's north of Paris/ Oak Ridge @ Fork / TW is where 90 % of my tackle comes from..Just my 2cents

Didn't even know that was there. I always turn off on 2648.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 11:49 PM

Best tackle..??? ..I have to say Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine. I get a 10% discount, plus points,...I can shop on line,
and be in and out at lunch, and not have to LOOK for what I need,...mostly short checkout lines.
I use Oak Ridge at Fork, usually have what I need,..I'm about done with Academy, stocking is too hit and miss..
their rod section by my house is terrible.. fish
Posted By: 9094

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/26/17 11:55 PM

US Sports Sales was by far the biggest tackle shop in north Texas before they sold out to Fun and Sun.
Their soft plastics wall was 60 foot long itself.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 12:37 AM

I really like APT. Went in last weekend and they are or have remodeled a bit since my last visit. Good improvement.
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 02:49 AM

Down South it would be FALCON LAKE TACKLE. Every year the owners have to take time to type out and issue hundreds of Licenses for both Texas and Mexico and never once have I seen or heard them treat a customer as if it was a hassle. If they didn't have or were out of something I asked for their reply has always been "we can have that for you in a couple of days". Always positive and willing to hunt down the lure or items I was looking for. Anyone that fishes Falcon Lake knows that place can eat up gear. If the Bass are all over a certain bait or color FLT will usually have a stockpile. A must stop when you are in Zapata.
Posted By: JasTall9

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 04:57 AM

Tackle Addict in Onalaska and at Sam Rayburn in two weeks
Posted By: Legend38

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 05:28 AM

Tackleaddict Price and selection is comparable to TW, yes you have to pay sales tax.but there texas based,and they also offer free shipping on orders over 50$ and best part is most of Tx is 1day shipping.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 07:02 AM

Brannans.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: fish hard for fun
Down South it would be FALCON LAKE TACKLE. Every year the owners have to take time to type out and issue hundreds of Licenses for both Texas and Mexico and never once have I seen or heard them treat a customer as if it was a hassle. If they didn't have or were out of something I asked for their reply has always been "we can have that for you in a couple of days". Always positive and willing to hunt down the lure or items I was looking for. Anyone that fishes Falcon Lake knows that place can eat up gear. If the Bass are all over a certain bait or color FLT will usually have a stockpile. A must stop when you are in Zapata.

+1 And if you are having boat issues or anything else they'll help you out any way they can!!!
Posted By: getbent956

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 10:42 AM

Deep S. Texas- FLT. Falcon Lake and Tackle are run and owned by some good folk. I always try and stop by even though my tackle storage is full. When I open the hatch I sling out hard baits lol
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 11:26 AM

Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork Nights
Nother vote for Brannons
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 01:37 PM

Plus one for Brannans, and oak ridge
Posted By: FishVibesTv

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 01:51 PM

Brannan's Bass Shop just restocked their z-man products
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 05:04 PM

From what I know about buying Bass Tackle in Houston. Its Academy or Tackle Unlimited. Maybe other places but I don't know.

My computer is the tackle store I have found in my area.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 05:14 PM

Toledo Town is one of my favorites.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 05:17 PM

Forgot to mention Fishin' World on Lovers Lane in Dallas!

Great folks to deal with.
Posted By: fireman

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/27/17 11:54 PM

Tackle Addict is a great shop. Looks like the one at Sam Rayburn is going to be as huge as the one in Onalaska. Love that place more than BPS......
Posted By: Jeff Gilbert

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 02:03 AM

Thank you for the kind words guys!
Although I own the store and I am very proud of the job Monte has done expanding our boat dealership into a full fledge, 100% fishermans one-stop-shop, I have to admit that when I'm at my house down in Zapata that I drop some serious coin in Falcon Lake Tackle. I love James and the Mexican Gang and what they commit to us all as anglers. Thank you, Amigo!
Posted By: TC42

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 02:58 AM

Anyone in the Livingston or Sam Rayburn area owes it to themselves to check out Tackle Addict. Nothing else compares to them. Nothing against the local tackle shops here..good people etc..but Tackle Addict is the Buccee's of tackle shops in East Texas in size and variety.
Posted By: Calcuttagurl84

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 03:19 AM

Oak Ridge Marina awesome selection of tackle especially the hard to find swimbaits
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 04:30 AM

For Austin it would be... Cabelas in Buda? frown
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Jigfish
Smitty's, man this place was something special to me and my family in the early 70s
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: HeidiD
Oak Ridge Marina awesome selection of tackle especially the hard to find swimbaits
I will second Oak Ridge
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/28/17 10:24 PM

Due to this topic, I rolled out to Angler's Pro this morning to do some window shopping and I met Rick and his wife. We had a nice conversation. Learned a few things about rods and bought a few things.

Good people. Nice shop.
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/29/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: wtf242
For Austin it would be... Cabelas in Buda? frown

bass pro in round rock is an option.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Best Tackle Shop in Texas?! - 01/30/17 08:37 PM

Nice to see our store getting talked about! Our modo is "We don't carry everything... Just the good stuff!"
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum