Texas Fishing Forum

BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!!

Posted By: Bassslayerr

BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 07:49 PM

Okay guys, first off, I'm bamboozled. There are so many different fishing jackets out there from bps goretex to Frabill and all the others in between that I'm kinda overwhelmed. In all honesty I just don't know which ones are better than the others and vise versa. I REALLY NEED YALLS HELP because if not I'll spend days reaserching these jackets. I'm looking for a waterproof, insulated jacket that will keep my skinny butt warm this winter in all weather.
-What I'd like for y'all to do is tell me what rain jackets you like/use, With that also tell me what you like about them, from the small things to the big things and everything in between. Also could y'all please tell me what you don't like about some of the jackets out there, or even the one you use. That would be awesome, Thanks so much!
OHH and my price range is around that 100-200$ range, not super expensive but still quality. Thank you guys and girls!
Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 08:59 PM

bass pro 100 mph on sale 300.00
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ROBERT HARGROVE
bass pro 100 mph on sale 300.00

That an layer up underneath.cabelas guideware is good also.cheapest is h20 rain gear
Posted By: J-2

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 09:53 PM

Simms is bad to the bone. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 10:50 PM

popcorn
Posted By: KsChampion198

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 10:56 PM

Cabelas Guidewear for me. It's on sale now....
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 11:15 PM

All of the listed brands you mentioned are good. Only personal preference will determine which is better. To me it came down to price and I ended up getting the cabelas bass angler guidewear. It never leaks, is gortex, and breaks the wind perfectly. Layer up underneath to keep warm and you'll be set. If I had unlimited funds I would have gotten the Simms prodry; two friends love theirs and when I tried them on they seemed a little more advanced feeling. Guidewear is great stuff though.
Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 11:31 PM

I love Cabelas Quidewear but if I was looking for a waterproof insulated jacket like you said then I would look at the Arctic Armor jacket. Very warm and waterproof at a reasonable price.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/27/16 11:53 PM

Have had a BPS 100mph set for three years now. Fish rain, snow, sleet, or shine. They have held up very well.

I have the 100mph gloves too, those I can't say the same for. They have come unsewn in each pinky finger twice. Get them exhacnged, and they do it again. Warm though....just not water tight when they loose stitches. The bibs and jacket? Perfect.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 12:02 AM

Layer...

Here's what I wear, when it's really Cold/wet,

Under Armor 4.0 thermals - they are expensive but they are great
Long sleeve athletic shirt /Columbia or any of the poly blend fishing shirts
Sweatshirt/hoodie
Simms Prodry rain jacket ( substitute BPS 100/ cabelas Guidewear ). All 3 do a good job stopping wind and rain

Pants:
Under Armour thermal 4.0 bottoms.
Simms Cold weather pant ( insulated )
Simms Prodry bibs. Best bibs I've ever put on, bar none!

Socks:
I wear Wolverine Durashock work socks - wool
Posted By: 206champion

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 01:20 AM

I have Cabelas guide gear insulated to bulky most of the time my favorite is bps gore Tex non insulated I will layer up when it's cold and I have a bps light weight for warmer weather they all are good re tex
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 01:37 AM

I was going to go with a straight jacket, but you guys are all serious and what not!

I've got a set of Cabelas Goretex (non-insulated) I layer under, seem to work pretty well. Good wool socks and some Goretex boots, toasty.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 03:24 AM

Once you've drawn up a short list, it would be best if you try them all on in the store. They don't all fit the same and some will just naturally feel "right" compared to others.

I bought the BPS Pro Qualifier for my top layer in winter, have a Frabill jacket for moderate temps (plan to get the bibs soon), and a set of Frog Toggs that sometimes get dragged along on trips in other people's boats.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 04:00 AM

I've had a NorthFace for close to 10 years, keeps me dry and warm.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 04:11 AM

I have the Cabelas Guidewear Goretex coat with two sets of bibs. One insulated the other is not. I got them from the bargain cave at the end of cold weather season. I don't recall exact prices, but about $125 per piece.

They're about 5 yrs old.
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 04:23 AM

My H2O severed me well for a few years, it started to leak a bit when the rain was really heavy but I knew that would come because I believe in "you get what you pay for"

I have a set of simms prodry in the mail and I can not wait to get them... If I was you I would look at 1. BPS 100mph 2. Cabelas Guidewear 3. HUK

They all make a very good quality product and with like mentioned before proper layering will keep you warm. Also, BPS or Guidewear is probably on sale right now! GL with search!
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 04:40 AM

Arctic Armor serves me well. Thin , wind proof , waterproof and extremely warm. The suit will also float you if you happen to fall in the water. Lots of times they have certain colors on sale for around 250.00. Idigear.com is where to look
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 06:54 PM

If your just looking for a top....
This is outside the box, but Drake Waterfowl makes a Hoodie that is warm and keeps you DRY for about 125. We wear a thermal,a t-shirt and that down to around 30deg when we hunt. I've gotten to where I wear it when I fish in the winter months as well.
The only down side(to some) is that they only offer it in camouflage.
Posted By: skeeterzx202

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 08:40 PM

Expensive, but the BPS 100 mph suit is tested and approved by many anglers and pros. I just bought my second set but have used my first set for over 7 years now and it is still fine- got the other set for the wife!.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: BEST JACKET FOR FISHING. I need help!!! - 11/28/16 08:57 PM

Bass Pro Shops100mph gear is the best I have owned. Seals around cuffs and legs and has a soft lining around the face that prevents irritation when running at 65 mph. But it is pretty hot when the temperature is above 60 deg.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum