Texas Fishing Forum

The jig has made me a believer

Posted By: SK1

The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:22 AM

I fished bellwood lake this afternoon for a few hours with my son and the bite was a little slow at first at least until we figured out a pattern. When we got there I noticed that there were shad rolling on the surface all over the lake huge balls of 3 to 5 inch shad everywhere. We marked some scattered small schools of bass underneath them and every so often one would scatter a ball on the surface. Fluke crankbait rattle trap white chatterbait nothing. Finally just got out the jig and fished the edges of the grass and pads, didn't start catching until we begin to flip the all the way to the back of the pads and grass and hop the jig through the lily pad stalks and right through the grassbeds, the really knarly stuff. Anyways that was the bite and it was a a slow bite but when they bit they would smoke it. Normally bluebird skies and high pressure I would be fishing a weightless senko but the jig is making me a believer. We ended up with 9 fish 5 of which were 4 or better.Thebass in this lake are fat and healthy. Here a few of the better ones [img:center]http://[/img] [img:center]http://[/img]
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:27 AM

excellent report. nice fatty. fish
Posted By: Mossive

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:31 AM

that's awesome!
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:34 AM

Butterballs
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:37 AM

That one in the last picture has a huge belly, has been eating well. Congrats on a great catch.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:46 AM

Same thing happened to me today, had shad flippin everywhere but wouldn't touch a fluke, spinner bait, swim bait, square bill, would not touch a surface bait. Tied on a Booyah jig and rage craw and boom. Weird.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:51 AM

Thanks for sharing a good pattern. Glad you figured them out.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 03:34 AM

Sounds like the fish aren't the only thing that got hooked on that jig. Nice fish thumb
Posted By: rongleaves

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 03:57 AM

cheers Nice fat fish!! That's awesome
Posted By: HappyNest

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 04:28 AM

Outstanding report .... thanks for sharing!!!
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 04:33 AM

thumb
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 01:37 PM

Nice fat fish!
Posted By: joebass2

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 01:41 PM

thumb
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 01:45 PM

Way to go! Healthy and nice fish!
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:30 PM

Nice fish and great story.. Jig's are my primary choice, always have a rod rigged with a jig.

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:41 PM

I've al I've always been the type of fishermen that if there was a scenario where somebody might fishing jig I would always fish Texas Rig worm or senko. It just felt right, but the more I fish the jig I am learning that the fish that won't hit the worm will nail a jig and bigger fish eat the jig I will attest to that. I've sorta committed to learning more about the jig and fishing it alot more coming out of my comfort zone.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SK1
I've al I've always been the type of fishermen that if there was a scenario where somebody might fishing jig I would always fish Texas Rig worm or senko. It just felt right, but the more I fish the jig I am learning that the fish that won't hit the worm will nail a jig and bigger fish eat the jig I will attest to that. I've sorta committed to learning more about the jig and fishing it alot more coming out of my comfort zone.

What I like about a jig is you can fish it so many different ways. With a long trailer you can also swim it, work it slow or fast, work it like a slab jigging it up and down. I use a worm in real heavy cover only because I'll get hung up with a jig.

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 04:28 PM

I know what you mean about the jig hanging up in the grass, and even though its weedless it sticks to the hydrilla like velcro. Fishing the hydrilla I have been stroking the jig(kinda popping it off of a clump of hydrilla and bouncing it off of the next clump allowing the jig to tumble or swim to the bottom between the clumps of hydrilla ). That's where the big girls live. I'm learning
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 04:56 PM

Always have 2 jig setups on the deck. Nice fish man
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 05:10 PM

Fatties.
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 05:26 PM

Wow those are some FAT fish....
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 05:29 PM

footballs. nice.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 05:32 PM

Great looking fish.

This fall the bite has been changing daily for me. 1 day, top water spook, next day, square bill, next day, fluke etc. etc. Been kinda weird compared to previous years patterns.

May have something to do with our shad spawns. I am seeing more bait this year than at anytime in the last 10 years.
Posted By: Bas-ii-tis

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 07:23 PM

Im in the same position on the jig. Even if its a few fish you catch that day you KNOW THEY ARE GONNA BE SOME GOOD ONES!!
Posted By: shiv

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/17/16 11:43 PM

Chunky monkeys thumb
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/18/16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: BigBassB
Wow those are some FAT fish....

The jig is your friend
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/18/16 01:39 AM

Beautiful fish!
Posted By: OliverBassin

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/18/16 02:30 AM

That's a hog. cool A great trip you had. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/18/16 03:48 AM

Good to see some nice healthy fatties like those, good job and thanks for sharing. I also love fishing jigs, hang on!!!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/18/16 06:21 AM

Nice Porky Pigs!
Posted By: RedDirtAngler

Re: The jig has made me a believer - 11/18/16 06:33 AM

very nice
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum