Texas Fishing Forum

After Market Troll motor cord

Posted By: west tex angler

After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 08:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a replacement troll motor cord.
I have a MinnKota 112 Fortrex.
Mine still works but I want to put a better one on and keep the original as a spare.
I've heard that the TH has some problems and that some are hard to install but the Minnkota replacement might be the best.
All help appreciated
Posted By: Troyz

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 08:27 PM

I will have to do some checking to see if I can find the name of the one I have but it is a small diameter rubber coated steel cable. Much better than the original equipment. Probably google it and find the one I am referring to.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 08:43 PM

Clothes Line cable from Home Depot. Use the existing handle.
Posted By: DALE W

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 08:44 PM

Installed a T-H Marine G-force on my fortrex. Took about 5 minutes to install, I just googled for a install video.
Works great and I would definitely recommend one. You can buy them from academy.
Posted By: Chet

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 09:27 PM

Bought a Pro-cord two years ago and it's been great.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DALE W
Installed a T-H Marine G-force on my fortrex. Took about 5 minutes to install, I just googled for a install video.
Works great and I would definitely recommend one. You can buy them from academy.

This is what I have also. Easy install, works great, had it about 5 years and still going strong.

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 09:47 PM

Thanks a lot fellows.
There is always guys here who are glad to help!
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Troyz
Originally Posted By: DALE W

This is what I have also. Easy install, works great, had it about 5 years and still going strong.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/07/16 10:04 PM

+1 on the G-Force handle. Definitely heavy duty.
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/08/16 01:23 AM

I tried the G-Force , the handle pulled out the first time out. I went back to the regular Minn Kota.
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/08/16 10:41 AM

Got about 3' of vinyl coated steel cable and a heavy duty lawn mower rope handle for about $12. Works great!
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/08/16 04:21 PM

G force has been great for me
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/08/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Onefish bill
I tried the G-Force , the handle pulled out the first time out. I went back to the regular Minn Kota.
this for me too. G Force is garbage. I even bought one for my lawn mower and it broke last weekend. Lol.
Posted By: HItec Redneck

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/08/16 11:49 PM

If you have access to buy some parachute cord it makes a great replacement cord. The stuff will last forever.

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 12:13 AM

Went to Bass Pro this morning and all they had was the TH G Force so, at least its better than what I had

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 12:13 AM

Went to Bass Pro this morning and all they had was the TH G Force so, at least its better than what I had
Posted By: TerryWilliams

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Minner Bucket
Got about 3' of vinyl coated steel cable and a heavy duty lawn mower rope handle for about $12. Works great!

This, although I just use my existing handle. 3-4 feet of the smallest diameter coated cable at home depot (about .12 cents a foot and they had some in red when I was there). I have a big crimping/swaging tool I use to crimp the wire sleeves, if you don't have one they are cheap and I have found them to come in handy around the shop for more things than just crimping wire sleeves. They look like bolt cutters.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 03:17 AM

No problems with G Force. Just make sure you tighten the set screws tight enough they strip out.
Posted By: sandman79

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 03:58 AM

G Force on last boat and was top on list of upgrades on new boat. Never had problem and worth the piece on mind.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 06:26 AM

I bought one and it lasted 2 trips and the handle broke. took it back and they replaced it and went home and put it on. It lasted 3 trips and the handle broke in about the same way the first one did. Called T & H and and they wouldn't replace it. Wouldn't sell me just the handle either. I try to stay away from their products since then.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 11:44 AM

Seems like they may have an issue with G-Force handles, with all the issues reported here......
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 12:57 PM

Whichever you chose, man by all means keep a SPARE !! Hard to change on the water but, not impossible.
You really don't want to experience it when the dang things break. Have had that happen and all but ended up in the passenger seat in an almost state of shock !!
I bought another Minnesota factory cord but, for a spare. I went the coated metal wire route via Loews. Darn thing will never break but, and yeah there is a but.....tying a knot in your handle if not done right WILL come undone and end up with the same shocking result.
JMO ....good luck

God Bless
Lee
Posted By: Lewis Perry

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 12:59 PM

had the G-force on a Maxxum and when the coating wore off of the cable, the cable cut a groove in the aluminum head. Was able to take a dremel tool and smooth it out and went back to regular nylon pull rope. With the groove where the cable went through it would hang and prevent the TM from latching down in the deploy position.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JimmyP
I bought one and it lasted 2 trips and the handle broke. took it back and they replaced it and went home and put it on. It lasted 3 trips and the handle broke in about the same way the first one did. Called T & H and and they wouldn't replace it. Wouldn't sell me just the handle either. I try to stay away from their products since then.

That's crazy. I've broke one by crushing it and they had no hesitation sending me a new complete kit. They have been helpful every time I've spoke with them. Hate to hear the bad luck.
Posted By: TeamSkeeter20i

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 03:07 PM

I have "Red One" on my Fortrex and never had any issues with it. it also comes with a holder that mounts to the trolling motor to hole the handle.

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 07:10 PM

used my g force for the first time at joe pool and liked it.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: After Market Troll motor cord - 10/09/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TeamSkeeter20i
I have "Red One" on my Fortrex and never had any issues with it. it also comes with a holder that mounts to the trolling motor to hole the handle.
Originally Posted By: TeamSkeeter20i

Haha. The factory handle is designed to attach to the control head of MinnKotas too. Most just don't know it does. Everyone is always kinda amazed when they figure it out. It's mentioned in the owners manuals, but as a feature....no instructions. I guess they figure it's self explanatory.

(Everyone runs out to look at their MK TMs!...lol)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum