Texas Fishing Forum

Question on Crankbait

Posted By: SlowDown

Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:05 AM

I have a small Rapala crankbait that I would like to use for catching schooling bass, but cannot make long cast because it is so light weight. Have any of you ever used a slip sinker ahead of a crankbait in order to make longer casts or get it to run deeper? I think I have heard of doing that, but have not tried it. Replies will be appreciated.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:12 AM

No; but I have Crig. them.
Posted By: Battson34

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:17 AM

C rig a crank bait. One of those things that make so much sense once someone else tells you about it. Lol.

Will be trying that very soon.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:22 AM

I have used a 1/2 egg sinker in front of it let it go to the bottom and drag it.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:03 AM

Have you tried throwing it on a spinning combo? 10-20# braid with about 8-10# leader and you can chunk it pretty well.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:05 AM

You should be able to cast that. Check your reel adjustment. New line..

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:05 AM

I should have explained that I want to make long casts, not to go deep. Am trying to cast to schoolies busting shad on top. I figure if I can get it in the middle of them and start reeling, they will take it before it goes deep. Would probably use a 1/8 oz sinker, maybe 3/16.

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:10 AM

Barn, I'll throw it on 6# mono, 6 1/2' Medium Light spinning rod.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:12 AM

I would be out on any sinker. Never used one with a CB.

What rod, reel, line size are you using? Or are you looking for advice on a setup for this?

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Trickster. See the two post by me above.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:37 AM

I would recommend 8 or 10 pound line. I would use fluorocarbon.
I would highly recommend a longer rod as you can get a longer cast with a longer rod.

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 01:41 AM

ThanksTrumpster.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 02:00 AM

If you're just wanting to cast a long ways at schooling bass buy a rattle trap.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 02:08 AM

15lb braid on a medium or medium light 7' or longer spinning rod with moderate action will launch those light lures a long distance.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:28 PM

Use a 1/4oz Red Eye Shad instead. You can throw it a long way and control the depth depending on how you work the bait.

Change the rear hook to a #4
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:30 PM

Use about 10-12lb fluorocarbon , line is lighter and Fluoro sinks , crankbait will get down deeper , Berkley vanish
Posted By: BASS101

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 12:48 PM

I have done it with spinnerbaits to make the stay in the strike zone. Try and see how it works, always think outside of the box!

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 02:14 PM

A 1/4 oz rattletrap is the bait I've been using and I can make a very long cast with it. It is a pretty good bait for schooling bass, but not always. This little Rapala matches the shad well and is a fish catcher if I could just reach the schools. That is why I was thinking about adding at least 1/8 oz of weight to it. ill try using the sinker next week and see what happens. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like nobody has fished a crankbait with a sliding sinker on the line ahead of it, so maybe it is not a good idea.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 02:56 PM

The light weight is part of what makes those little Rapalas so good for schooling bass (when they are keying in on tiny shad). Adding weight could negatively impact that action.

If you haven't tried a fluke or a fluke jr, I recommend them on these schools (easier to cast further than the small Rapalas due to less wind resistance and slightly heavier).
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 03:39 PM

Get a Cordell Gay blade in chrome/blue. Small and heavy, can fish it deep or shallow. Best schooler bait made in my opinion when they are chasing smaller shad.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 03:41 PM

You might try some suspend dots on it. Light weight braid on a spinning set up would be best for that.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 03:50 PM

I think I would try a split shot before a slip sinker. You can attach the split shot 18 - 24 inches above the bait and shouldn't impact the baits action too much. I would think a weight at the nose of the bait would negatively impact the action. All this great information from someone that's never tried it.

Let us know how it works if you give it a try.

Re: Question on Crankbait - 09/15/16 05:17 PM

The gay blade is a lure I need to try for schoolies. Something to match small shad is what I am looking for. Also need to try the zoom fluke jr. I changed out the line this morning, took the mono off and put 10# suffix braid on, the slick braid. I pegged a 1/16 oz Mojo sinker several inches above the lure. I can slide it further up or down to find the distance that works best. Maybe it will work, and maybe it won't, will see. Next time I'm in Academy or ordering on line, I'll get a couple of gay blades. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum