Texas Fishing Forum

Defoe using spot lock

Posted By: MagFluker

Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 04:51 PM

First I've heard of a pro using this technology and it's helping him. Thought I'd share...

"Craig Lamb...A couple of very interesting developments are evolving around leader Ott DeFoe.

My first observation, which no one else but myself and Ott have noted, is the Minn Kota Fortrex feature called Spot Lock that is helping him tremendously.

As mentioned earlier it's an electronic GPS anchor feature. Around DeFoe's neck is a lanyard with a fob allowing him to press a button to activate the system. When he does the trolling motor keeps the boat on spot. While it does that DeFoe can leave the front deck, unhook and weigh the fish, and place it in the livewell. Then re-rig and get back to fishing.

Normally, and in the strong current where he's fishing, DeFoe's boat would drift downstream without power, costing him precious time in maneuvering the boat back into position with the trolling motor. Now the boat stays put, allowing him to fire another cast right back into the strike zone.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 05:27 PM

I predict a surge in spotlock/fortrex sales.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 05:52 PM

I have neither spot lock or power poles but I think on paper I would rather have spot lock...
Posted By: Texasdeepv

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 07:15 PM

On my MG xi5 it has an anchor feature including a FOB. Im assuming its the same as spotlock....
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 07:39 PM

spotlock has put the fun back in my fishing... fish
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 07:47 PM

The motor is Ultrex, not Fortrex.

It is the new electric power steering cable steer motor due out this Fall/Winter.

It stows like a Fortrex and will be 360 compatible.
Posted By: Pitch

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 08:03 PM

Here is a little more Motorguide info. They call it "Anchor Mode" instead of spotlock and is adjustable in 5' increments.

http://www.motorguide.com/store/product/xi5/features
http://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/pinpointgps

I like the wireless pedal with no cables, which can be used from anywhere in the boat...and the price is right too.
Now if Lowrance will only improve their Spotlight technology?
Posted By: dr14

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 08:09 PM

I think Keith Combs may be using the Ultrex also.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 08:30 PM

I'll be selling my terrova for the new ultrex when it's released.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 08:48 PM

I believe Brandon Palaniuk has an Ultrex as well.

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitch
Here is a little more Motorguide info. They call it "Anchor Mode" instead of spotlock and is adjustable in 5' increments.

http://www.motorguide.com/store/product/xi5/features
http://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/pinpointgps

I like the wireless pedal with no cables, which can be used from anywhere in the boat...and the price is right too.
Now if Lowrance will only improve their Spotlight technology?

I use the FOB way more than the pedal. The pedal does work nice though.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 10:43 PM

Only $2400 for the 112 thrust model. You can preorder one right now.

They should sell about a bizzillion of them.
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 10:45 PM

also AA
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 10:46 PM

I believe it was AA but one of the elites talked specifically about the ultrex today at the elite weigh ins.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/10/16 11:03 PM

Another sucker is born every minute..lol

If they said some Elite Angler was using a gold plated trolling motor because it attracts bait fish. There would be masses of people willing shell out 5k for one...lol
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Fast Lane
Another sucker is born every minute..lol

If they said some Elite Angler was using a gold plated trolling motor because it attracts bait fish. There would be masses of people willing shell out 5k for one...lol

Call me a sucker, I will have one asap.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 12:51 AM

They are electric steering?

No thanks.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: crankn101

No thanks.

No, Electric Power Steering. Still a foot control cable steer motor with electric assist AND remote control electric steer IF you want.
Posted By: Mark Wendler

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 01:06 AM

No thanks.

No, they are electric assisted cable steer. Most vehicles today have electric assisted rack & pinion steering. Same concept.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 01:21 AM

Also noticed he is using a digital scale with bluetooth capabilities that transfers the weight directly to a culling app on his smart phone. While innovative, doesn't seem very efficient, he seemed to waste alot of time on the phone arranging cull tag colors and such.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 02:24 AM

10/4 fellas.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 02:26 AM

I think that unless you are fishing in water flowing as fast as the Ms. River that technology is way over the top. Is there any lake in North Texas that has that kind of current?

BD
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 02:51 AM

There's 6-7 guys running them already. The feedback from all the pros with them has been outstanding.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill Durham
I think that unless you are fishing in water flowing as fast as the Ms. River that technology is way over the top. Is there any lake in North Texas that has that kind of current?

BD

Wind and waves. Not having to worry about boat position while fighting the fish, retying, etc and trying to stand on one foot. Since it is cable steer, you'd only be using the spotlock when it would help you not to mention the link portion and being able to tell it to go to a certain contour line and drive that contour line at whatever speed you choose. Can you get by without it? Sure. Can you get by without side imaging or a 12" FF? sure but if you can afford it why not use it?
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 03:56 AM

I could have used spot lock today on Fork, high wind in open water sucked. I was on a bis school of fish and overtime I caught a fish I would end up 30 yards from my mark. I will also buy this the day it comes out.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill Durham

BD

How about sitting over a brush pile or the end of a point without ever having to touch the trolling motor, or when you catch a fish in the open water on a grass line, or while you re tie or are culling fish, what about following a 20 foot contour line, what if you dropped your rolex watch out of the boat, lol, I could go on and on, if this thing works as advertised it will definitely be a game changer.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 01:24 PM

I think the power of a Fortrex, the holding power of Power Poles....for $2400 is a REAL BARGAIN!!!

A regular 112 Fortex and two poles would be well over $5k installed.

Get the holding power of poles, weigh savings of "no poles", AND the best trolling motor in the world?

Duh.

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 03:57 PM

I'm not pimping out the motor guide xi5 but it can do all the above mentioned. The only thing i found annoying is when moving with the trolling motor at a decent pace and pressing the anchor mode the motor will spin and act goofy but in reality its doing exactly what it supposed to include addressing the speed to back the boat up etc. and again depending on the speed it will do its best to sit precisely where you pressed anchor so you gotta hold on. I also sit higher (i own a deep v) than a bass boat so the wind will force the boat to spin with the trolling motor as the pivot point so i just have to be aware of that.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 05:23 PM

XI5 is a good trolling motor but it isn't cable steer. That's the big selling point for the new Ultrex. To convert the people who won't give up their cable steer. Plus, Minn Kota is a necessity if you run Humminbird and want the link features. I know the XI5 has a big following because of it's gps accuracy. Let's see if MK got it right this time with dual antennas.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 07:03 PM

No thanks.

Ive used one and the reaction time is the same as anycable steer. Just smoother.
Posted By: texas_82

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 07:11 PM

I've been using the spot lock on my minn Kota n love it. I use when fishing with my kids. Tying lures, taking fish off, and over all dealing with them. I like the remote because I can help my kids fish n still maneuver the boat. When I catch a fish deep n want to stay in the area I just hit the anchor button n go from there. It helps in wind n waves too.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/11/16 09:49 PM

I have the terrova with spot lock and its a nice feature in deeper water. Wind or current does actually help it stay positioned more easily. But in my opinion this does not replace anchors like talon or power pole. When using those, you're usually in a situation where you don't want the trolling motor running a lot.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/12/16 12:57 AM

I HATE fighting the wind and trying to stay on a spot. I'm fishing deep a lot more than I have in years past, and it just plain sucks to get blown 50 yards off a spot every time I catch a fish or have to cull one. Unfortunately, the spot lock feature is gonna have to wait until I win the lottery or until my kids are grown. If I could, I'd be buying the ultrex the day it comes out.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/12/16 01:46 AM

I hated the electric steering on the Terrova, but a cable steer TM with those features is something I'm very interested in. I wonder how well it works in really high winds or in a situation where you have waves sometimes coming from multiple directions or if the the waves are big enough that your TM comes out of the water when you come off the crest
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/12/16 02:13 AM

In open water wind, or current I can see an advantage. But in shallower water power poles allow u to stay still without the tm making noise.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Defoe using spot lock - 09/12/16 02:15 AM

Didn't pinpoint do something like that back in the day? Then motor guide bought them out...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum