Texas Fishing Forum

Shallow or Deep?

Posted By: Insurance man

Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 08:44 PM

So where are all you guys catching them right now...Shallow or Deep?
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 09:04 PM

Mid
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Mid
offtopic realmad
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 09:25 PM

I've been catching them between 10-20, so mid
Originally Posted By: Insurance man
Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Mid
offtopic realmad

I've been catching them between 10-20, so mid
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 09:51 PM

In the last few weeks shallow to mid, my deep bite has slowed down.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 09:53 PM

It's going to be a little bit of both right now/transitional time.

There's bluegills on beds spawning again shallow, crawfish activity increasing mid depth rocks, and shad out deep. It's a buffet for the bass at all depths.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 11:23 PM

I've been catching them in 3 ft of water, suspended over 15-20 ft of water tight to trees.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 11:25 PM

Both. But mostly shallow.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/24/16 11:25 PM

2' or less.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 04:05 AM

Shallow, deep, and everywhere in between- but 90% of the fish over 4lbs have been deep. (20 feet plus)
Posted By: big fish2

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 05:07 AM

Deep!
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 12:14 PM

Shallow but thats more of just because have only been able to fish for short times before and after work recently. So not much time to waste graphing
Posted By: 9094

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 12:16 PM

On top early later 8-10 foot flipping willows.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 12:48 PM

According to John Hopes book, the fish are layered (shallow, medium, deep) and don't move based on weather or cooling/warming water, one exception is during the spawn. So I'm confused when you guys say your catching them in 2' or so right now, how big are these fish?

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 12:50 PM

Let me add that deeper bite for me over the last 3 or 4 weeks has just about dried up. But I historically struggle this time of year.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Slade
According to John Hopes book, the fish are layered (shallow, medium, deep) and don't move based on weather or cooling/warming water, one exception is during the spawn. So I'm confused when you guys say your catching them in 2' or so right now, how big are these fish?
close to the size your holding in your sig....and on the same lake, Slade! roflmao

Well....within a couple pounds. Lol.

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Slade
close to the size your holding in your sig....and on the same lake, Slade! roflmao

Well....within a couple pounds. Lol.

Don't take me questioning you as disbelieving you, I am more so trying to figure out these silly fish. Just everything I've read and studied about structure fishing, it just doesn't make any sense that the fish would go from 25'-30' just because the water temp dropped 7 or 8 degrees. I still see baitfish all over the place out deep also, but I am having a hard time finding fish on my graph, and the ones I do find are very hard to catch. I think they are eating so much shad out there right now that nothing else is real enticing to them, or I just suck...
Posted By: buda13

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 03:56 PM

Shallow.. but consistency is tough, one day I spare it up and the next day I have 17 lbs and cull 10 times.
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 05:20 PM

Depends on the lake. 2 weekends ago I was catching them in 1' while another guy was catching them in 22' on the same lake. Some lakes fish simply don't go deep very much. Lake worth is a great example of 2'or less all year. other lakes the fish move much more between depths. clear lakes the fish may move from 30' to 2' in an hour just because of cloud cover (temperature doesn't always cause the move). Another big factor is oxygen. If a lake gets too hot and doesn't hold good oxygen, the fish are going shallow or they are going to die. increase in temp + increase in pressure = low Oxygen levels. sometimes the best fishing is shallow because the water is hot. Fish don't read books. Fish only do what they have to do to survive.

Re: Shallow or Deep? - 08/25/16 05:41 PM

Being open minded and willing to learn and at the same time being hard headed and stubborn is the battle I live with all the time..

So while some of what you guys are saying about fish going shallow makes sense, I believe most of the big bass are out deep, I would say 8#+ - Sometimes they are caught shallow, but most of the biggest fish caught shallow throughout the year are in the 6# range.

The oxygen level in deep water is for sure a factor, but if there is enough oxygen in deep water for bait fish, sand bass, catfish, etc. to survive, then there is no reason for bass to move from that water to 2' or less based on oxygen. If they have the bait (food source) the cover and structure there is no reason for them to migrate back and forth. At least that's what I think, particularly the bigger fish.

I have no doubts that the cloud cover, a little cooler water, more flooded vegetation/cover is going to make the fishing up shallow better than out deep as far as numbers go, but I think the bigger fish are content out deep, all that being said I haven't caught one over 8# in nearly a month! So it can make for some long, tedious trips.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum