Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts

Posted By: Texascajun69

Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 02:53 PM

I will be making my first trip to Lake Falcon in about 3 or 4 weeks. I have a tournament down there in late September. I would like to hear any suggestions about fishing the lake. Should I get a Mexican fishing license. If so where can I purchase one. Is there any special baits (sizes or colors) that work better than others.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 02:54 PM

www.tackleandrods.com

Everything you need right here. Call James or Tom just prior to your trip for best baits, colors, etc. And yes, buy the Mexican license. Unless you want to limit yourself to 1/2 the lake come tournament day.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 02:59 PM

Thanks I will put this in my cell phone.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
Thanks I will put this in my cell phone.

Be sure to go by their store and introduce yourself. If you get in a bind on the water, the Bendele brothers are good folks and have helped countless hundreds of anglers over the years.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 03:28 PM

I put their phone number and their website in my phone. I have to have knee surgery this Friday, so will be down a couple of weeks. Plan on going down for weekend when I get on my feet.

I will tell them you said to look them up.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 03:46 PM

Speaking of cell phone. Be aware of international roaming charges. Call your cell provider or turn off roaming on your cell. Or just be prepared and not shocked when you get a bill that's crazy...

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 03:59 PM

wow. Did not think about that. I will definitely have to do that. Does if come into play if I cross into Mexico or is it anywhere on the lake. Just Curious
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 04:18 PM

I think you can add international plans relatively cheap on most carriers.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 04:20 PM

You are so close to the border it's hard for the cell tower to distinguished exactly where you are at. If you cross over into mexico, everyone on the boat must have a fishing license, fishing or not.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 04:55 PM

wow. Did not think about that. I will definitely have to do that. Does if come into play if I cross into Mexico or is it anywhere on the lake. Just Curious

Turn off international roaming on your phone and you will be fine.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 05:43 PM

Good luck on your trip down there!! One place on my bucket list for sure! I met a guy who fishes almost nothing but black/blue DD-22s down that way. He had prob 200 in a box. Said you get hung up in the rocks and just break off so you don't scare the school. Most of the baits would float back up.

Illegal to fish in Mexico without a license but obviously not for them to enter and live in the US without ANY permission/license/etc. Sorry not that kind of post but rubs me raw seeing all the warnings about crossing the line...
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
Good luck on your trip down there!! One place on my bucket list for sure! I met a guy who fishes almost nothing but black/blue DD-22s down that way. He had prob 200 in a box. Said you get hung up in the rocks and just break off so you don't scare the school. Most of the baits would float back up.

Illegal to fish in Mexico without a license but obviously not for them to enter and live in the US without ANY permission/license/etc. Sorry not that kind of post but rubs me raw seeing all the warnings about crossing the line...

Not that kind of post but agree for sure, i see illegals fishing here all the time with no license.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Epic backlash
Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy

Not that kind of post but agree for sure, i see illegals fishing here all the time with no license.

fished Tawakoni before saw dozens of guys with handlines fishing near the bridge... my boater was pissed cus he was on fish and couldn't get close as they had thrown out a long ways!
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 07:01 PM

If you elect to stay on the Texas side of the lake, there is plenty
of lake to cover...

Places like OPEC, Big and Little Tiger, Government Cove, State Park,
and Valeno to name a few...

Just be careful with the winds, they can get bad in moments notice..!
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 07:08 PM

Don't bring any unwanted attention to yourself.
Don't bring any illegals or drugs across.
Drink plenty of water.
Don't be in Mexican waters at dark.
Stop and eat catfish at Roberts fish and tackle restaurant. Tell him his buddy that lives near lake ivie sent you.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
Don't bring any unwanted attention to yourself.
Don't bring any illegals or drugs across.
Drink plenty of water.
Don't be in Mexican waters at dark.
Stop and eat catfish at Roberts fish and tackle restaurant. Tell him his buddy that lives near lake ivie sent you.

And don't have a pistol, bullet or anything of the such on you or in your boat if you cross into the Mexico side.
Posted By: gonfshn

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 08:03 PM

DO be off the lake before dark...
Do bring your big boy gear--heavy line and heavy action rods
Do get a license and fish in Mexico, don't limit yourself to only half the lake
Posted By: Chet

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 09:24 PM

"Stop and eat catfish at Roberts fish and tackle restaurant. Tell him his buddy that lives near lake ivie sent you."

The shrimp are as good or better than the catfish. wink
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 09:37 PM

Do NOT NOT NOT get out of the boat ON the MEXICAN SIDE to take a "WOODSY!!!"

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 09:56 PM

I thank all of you for your input. I am planning on buying a Mexican License. I owned a Ranch that was 29 miles north of Del Rio and have fished Amistad many times. Just never made it all the way to Falcon.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigron119
Do NOT NOT NOT get out of the boat ON the MEXICAN SIDE to take a "WOODSY!!!"
Pretty sure I've never not "taken a woodsy" while over there! No trouble over on that side would be worse than not "taking a woodsy"! crazy Really though, just go have fun. Get a Mexican license if there's any chance of fishing over the border and check with Falcon Lake Tackle for the latest report, lures....and get your license there. Enjoy!
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/11/16 10:25 PM

been going down to falcon for a week sometimes two weeks for past 10 years.....fished primarily on the Mexican side and never been bothered or felt threatened even when I was way up the river on Mexican side near the dam....
also recommend going by and meeting james or tom bendele at falcon tackle...not only is it a really well equipped store but james or tom can really help you with what baits are working best and where/how to fish them...

worst mistake you can make is not going to falcon......my biggest fish came from there (10.97lbs) and best five was 36.77lbs....... (which had I been been fishing in the tournament they had that weekend would have been good enough for 12th place....I think 44lbs won it).....
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 01:24 AM

I thank all of you for your input. I am planning on buying a Mexican License. I owned a Ranch that was 29 miles north of Del Rio and have fished Amistad many times. Just never made it all the way to Falcon.

Amistad and Falcon are two different animals......completely different lakes and situations..

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: RCarter

Amistad and Falcon are two different animals......completely different lakes and situations..

Yep, you wouldn't even think they were connected to the same river. Do not bring sissy gear to Falcon.
Posted By: ABit

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 02:36 AM

I took the family down to Falcon for our first trip there yesterday. The most valuable lesson I learned was being multiple of any lure you plan to fish with. I probably lost 15+ baits. I started making a list of what I needed to replace because I couldn't keep track. I stopped at Falcon lake and spent a few dollars with them. Definitely good people!
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 03:03 AM

We fished Falcon this past Fri-Sun. Most of our fish came on/in wind blown rock. A few notes:

-Bring lots of water....it was 108* and despite drinking 10 bottles a day I only peed once.
-Watch the wind.....it was blowing 20-30mph and there were 4ft+ rollers at the dam. Can't imaging how big they got as they rolled up the lake.
-Bring multiples of your fav baits. I didn't lose as much as others, but did lose several jigs, several cb's, 2 spoons and A LOT of terminal tackle.
-Watch for floaters running the lake. We pulled one to shore about 20ft long after I nearly hit it floating about 2" above the water. It was in main river channel between School bus and Valeno.
-Check the water in your batteries and give them ample time to charge. I killed my batteries the first day in 5hrs fighting the wind head on.
-Don't speed when you drive from Zapata to the state park. There were 4 to 6 DPS working it every day.....all day.
-If your don't typically use a pedestal seat......bring one because of the wind.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 02:32 PM

On the Mexican side, pay attention for the Tilapia nets and have a sharp knife just in case?

Assuming you have little to zero wind on Falcon, then yes the nets are visible! However, if the wind is blowing or yet gusting with 3 to 5 footers then you will more than likely not see the nets or the markers as stated below.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 06:49 PM

^^The gill nets are a pain, but they can be avoided without cutting them. Just keep your head on a swivel for them. That's many people's lively hood over there.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: RCarter

Yep, you wouldn't even think they were connected to the same river. Do not bring sissy gear to Falcon.

thumb
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 08:10 PM

Don't have a gun on board!!

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/12/16 08:13 PM

They are all well marked,except those that have been abandoned.
Posted By: 10 lbs or bust

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 08:41 AM

"The Do's"

1.) Lake level is dropping like a sack of potatoes again. Be sure to have a Nav. or LM chip and run the river and creek channels. We are going to have a lot of main lake hardwoods make their appearance in the not so distant future.

2.) Be sure you understand where the Veleno bridge is and stay to the west of it as you leave the ramp.

3.) Go to http://www.noaa.gov/ to get your wind forecasts. Type in Zapata, TX and scroll down to tabular forecast and click on it. Should look like the pic below.

Pay close attention to the Gusts. If you see ANY numbers there use extreme caution.

4.) More than likely you will encounter SE winds....if you see gusts in the forecast launch down South at the State Park boat ramp. Fish all the humps and ridges in and around the dam including the rip rap and intakes. Both State Park and Government Cove will have plenty of fish in them too.

5.) Crank until your arms fall off.....square bills to 10 xds and everywhere in between.

6.) Stop in at Falcon Lake Tackle and buy what's hot. James and Tommy will shoot you straight and keep you pointed in the right direction.

The Don't List

1.) Don't mess with the Mexican side of Falcon for your first ever trip. There really is no need to add that to your plate for your first trip. The U.S. side is fishing great.

2.) If you decide you want to fish the Mexico side:

A.) Have a Mexico License for every person on the boat
B.) Do not have any firearms on board
C.) Have all the necessary tools on hand to remove both your outboard prop and TM prop. (gill nets)
D.) If your NAV map runs out of contour lines take boat off plane. As mentioned above we are dropping and bad stuff will be rearing it's ugly head soon enough.

3.) DON'T forget your sun clothes and sun screen. It's the real deal down here. I've seen trips ruined on the first day because of folks not heeding that warning. Be careful and stay hydrated as well. If you or your partner are not feeling well.....don't call each other a "cat" head in and live to fight another day.

That should get you started......have a great trip! and maybe I'll see ya on the water.

Jay
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: I'm The Dude
^^The gill nets are a pain, but they can be avoided without cutting them. Just keep your head on a swivel for them. That's many people's lively hood over there.

I would cut them, Don't really care about their lively hood over there. Should we buy huge amount of cocaine to also support their lively hood over there
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: forkduc

Illegal Aliens in USA can have a gun in their vehicle and have no issues
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Originally Posted By: forkduc

Illegal Aliens in USA can have a gun in their vehicle and have no issues

Just shows you how great America is.
Don't have one with you in Mexico waters, they WILL board your boat & search. Twice it has happened to boats in our group.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 11:09 AM

Great post Jay.
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 12:04 PM

I would cut them, Don't really care about their lively hood over there. Should we buy huge amount of cocaine to also support their lively hood over there

They are working people, not narcos! (And it's not illegal in their country)
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 12:13 PM

Carry a boat hook to reach the net main line.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/star-brite-economy-boat-hook#repChildCatid=3422751
One end of the net is usually tied to a tree, while the other end is anchored. But out in the open water, look for a jug or float.
Posted By: 10 lbs or bust

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Great post Jay.

Thanks Jackson! Hope all is well.....back in December I went to the dentist for the first time in nearly 20 years! I think I'll make a road trip to see you in 20. noidea

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 09:31 PM

Yeppers that's the way to make friends and impress enemies in a foreign country! That's what makes good News Clips for everybody else to read. Or even better- Great YouTube/Facebook Fail videos as they jump your boat and hold you for the Federales to prosecute you for destruction of property. BUT, HEY we are AMERICANS and EVERYBODY has to bow to US!
I witnessed that mentality many times in Europe and understood why they all hate the US. banana

Oh Yeah GREAT POST Jay!! thumb
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/13/16 09:51 PM

You always post such insightful information, thanks.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/14/16 04:46 AM

So if they board your boat and you have a handgun....what happens? Is it illegal to carry in Mexico?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/14/16 05:16 AM

Yeppers that's the way to make friends and impress enemies in a foreign country! That's what makes good News Clips for everybody else to read. Or even better- Great YouTube/Facebook Fail videos as they jump your boat and hold you for the Federales to prosecute you for destruction of property. BUT, HEY we are AMERICANS and EVERYBODY has to bow to US!
I witnessed that mentality many times in Europe and understood why they all hate the US. banana

Oh Yeah GREAT POST Jay!! thumb

Jack you reeled one in, you have him apologizing for all Americans all over the globe.

Jack I am sure that is exactly what you wanted to do when you posted that, LOL
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/14/16 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Coufal
So if they board your boat and you have a handgun....what happens? Is it illegal to carry in Mexico?

Absolutely illegal. Do not have a firearm of any kind in your boat, as well as any type ammo. Don't do it!!
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/14/16 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Rick Collis

Absolutely illegal. Do not have a firearm of any kind in your boat, as well as any type ammo. Don't do it!!

you will wind up in a Mexico jail if you have a gun or ammo in your boat on the Mexico side and they come board you and search ,,,,,,,, and they will !!!!!

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Nutman

you will wind up in a Mexico jail if you have a gun or ammo in your boat on the Mexico side and they come board you and search ,,,,,,,, and they will !!!!!

Gotcha......never knew that. All the times I've been down there I've never even seen a Mexican police boat cruising around. Just curious.....but are they allowed to pursue you past the border if they approached and you ran? I don't have anything to hide in my boat....just curious as I do not know all the laws there. I've only driven through that side and never stopped to fish it as I always found plenty to fish on the US side.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 03:21 AM

Don't even drive on their side unless you have a license, they aren't there to be your friend. If you are on their side, you need their license, period.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman

Gotcha......never knew that. All the times I've been down there I've never even seen a Mexican police boat cruising around. Just curious.....but are they allowed to pursue you past the border if they approached and you ran? I don't have anything to hide in my boat....just curious as I do not know all the laws there. I've only driven through that side and never stopped to fish it as I always found plenty to fish on the US side.

"if they approached and you RAN?" ????
REALLY????? hammer Are you trying to get shot? Running would make you appear really guilty. (Or are you "Faster than a Speeding Bullet!") That is a DIFFERENT COUNTRY with different laws. I don't think they would use the same U.S. protocols for our traffic stops. With that rational your best bet IS to stay on the U.S. side. (They kept a U.S. Marine, with a weapon, for several months because he could not get turned around at the border. They did not think it was funny.) They take their violations very seriously.
I haven't seen many Mexican Police boats BUT with MY luck if my partner had a weapon there would be one find us and we would get caught! roflmao
Posted By: TexasTechliprip

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:24 PM

I have been to falcon 9-10 times......so by no means am I an expert.

But having mexicans board your boat? Really?

I have never seen anything that resembles authority.

I never buy I mexican licence

I do carry at least $200 cash just in case, but you guys are making it sound like the middle east across the lake

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:29 PM

We were fishing a tournament at Amistad and Border Patrol stopped us and boarded our boat. We were told "stand up, open all compartments, you stand on the bow, your buddy stands on the stern, don't move". They went through (everything) front to back, side to side. They asked us, did you touch the Mexican land at any time. No!! We were told that if you brush up against the bank and push off with your foot, you are get out of the boat and stay where you are at and don't move from that spot. They gave us an 800 number to call if that ever happens. I didn't tell them but, I'm not standing or staying in any one spot on that side. That's just asking to get shot and lose your boat to the cartel.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:42 PM

I know a couple of idiots that got on the bank by the tower in coyote. It was a couple hundred yards down the bank where the road bed is. Walked up the bank to look at a deerstand.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
I know a couple of idiots that got on the bank by the tower in coyote. It was a couple hundred yards down the bank where the road bed is. Walked up the bank to look at a deerstand.

the mexican boarder patrol?

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Topwater2
We were fishing a tournament at Amistad and Border Patrol stopped us and boarded our boat. We were told "stand up, open all compartments, you stand on the bow, your buddy stands on the stern, don't move". They went through (everything) front to back, side to side. They asked us, did you touch the Mexican land at any time. No!! We were told that if you brush up against the bank and push off with your foot, you are get out of the boat and stay where you are at and don't move from that spot. They gave us an 800 number to call if that ever happens. I didn't tell them but, I'm not standing or staying in any one spot on that side. That's just asking to get shot and lose your boat to the cartel.

The mexican boarder patrol? or US?
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 02:59 PM

Watch out for the new pier at Box Canyon (Amistad), its new and they failed to hammer in all of the nails all the way. I have a nice new crack in my boat from a nail last weekend, it could have been avoided by placing my bumpers out when I tied up but I did not take the time to do it in the wind. bang

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 03:01 PM

It was US Border Patrol.
Posted By: Raul Perez

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 03:26 PM

+1 on not recommending fishing the Mexican side of the lake on your first trip. No need for it! the US side is fishing really good right now. with that said, if you come down for a weekend you would not have time to fish the whole lake.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 04:00 PM

Mexican jails are not nice places!

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 04:03 PM

I've only fished with a guide on Falcon and we always spend 90% of our time in Mexico. Been for 7 trips and never a problem. Have seen Mexican Black helicopters,but no patrol boats. On US side you have Coast Guard,TPW and Borer Patrol. Been checked a number of times at the ramps,never on the water.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 04:21 PM

The things that can happen to you on the Mexican side without a permit should make you think twice about not getting one. It's a small price for the peace of mind it gives you, some really bad jails but really good fishing on the Mexican side. The netters are poor Mexicans trying to dodge the cartels and make a meager living. When the netters are out fishing the cartels aren't there. If it makes you feel better about yourself to cut their nets up then you have a warped sense of right and wrong. It's amazing to me that folks can't just enjoy the resource we have in Falcon without talking so much cr@p.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/15/16 05:42 PM

Fished Amistad and Falcon for 20 years -- never been stopped or even seen a (Mexican patrol boat).
Been stopped numerous times on Amistad by US patrol boats.
Have made it a habit to be friendly to the Mexican netters and respect there property.. You never know when you might need there help... They are hard working people trying to make a living.

Re: Lake Falcon- do's and don'ts - 07/18/16 02:39 AM

REALLY????? hammer Are you trying to get shot? Running would make you appear really guilty. (Or are you "Faster than a Speeding Bullet!") That is a DIFFERENT COUNTRY with different laws. I don't think they would use the same U.S. protocols for our traffic stops. With that rational your best bet IS to stay on the U.S. side. (They kept a U.S. Marine, with a weapon, for several months because he could not get turned around at the border. They did not think it was funny.) They take their violations very seriously.
I haven't seen many Mexican Police boats BUT with MY luck if my partner had a weapon there would be one find us and we would get caught! roflmao

I'm not trying to get shot or anything else you assume I am up to. I simply asked a question. I have nothing to hide.....but I also don't have a clue on the laws or rules there (hence why I asked). I simply posted a question. No harm no foul for that....

Part of the reason I've never gone over there is because I haven't taken the time to learn the do's and don't's. Until I do that I probably won't go over there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum